main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Serial. Listen to it.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Jay could have done it, but I don't have any real justification for believing that, so I choose not to.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The natural heir of Winston Churchill himself!

I'd have to listen again but I'm pretty sure he did. So there!

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That’s why I asked. Because he lead the police to the car, so...

4. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't have any real justification to point to a particular person. I just think there isn't enough to convict Adnan, and the likelihood that a jury bought into racist testimony was high.

MrZAP likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, I’m sorry. You need to name the killer(s). And that naming is legally binding.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Slowpokeking

Diggy likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are you sure? They found the body.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ^That's a great response.

Anyway, series 3 is starting on September 20th, and there is a trailer out now. It's a year in the life of the Cleveland courts, based on one 'regular' case. 8 minute trailer on here:

https://serialpodcast.org/

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well hello there. Maybe series 4 should be about the mysterious disappearance of Rogue Ten.

But for now we'll have to do with series 3. I like it a lot more than last season. It's not shocking more like..."why am I not surprised?"

One thing about this weeks episode. Is "Heartless Felons" not the worst gang name you've ever heard?

11. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    There's no mystery he's permabanned.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Sorry, I'm going to need that confirmed by Sarah Koenig.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    This Sunday, HBO will be debuting its documentary on the Adnan Syed case.

Here's the trailer:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Rylo Ken and Diggy like this.
  14. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I started listening to it a little after season 2 wrapped, I think. So far I think season 3 was definitely the best one.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Maryland Court of Appeals ruled against anyone needing to watch the HBO series by denying Syed a new trial. Delaying this decision until the final HBO episode really would have served justice a lot better. Honestly I feel cheated.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Diggy likes this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Lol. Well I'll still definitely watch the doc because I love docs and I loved season 1.

I'm just now listening to season 3. It's not surprising, but it's still fascinating, as someone here said. I did not listen to season 2... should I?

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Agreed. The Bergdahl season did not have a huge cast of reasonable doubt like season one. It was more informative and not really any controversy to speak of. I have yet to listen to season three.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    HBO not delaying the ruling is the first of their two blunders. The second being the first episode was ****ing ****.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Rylo Ken like this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    yeah that animation and the diary readings. I get the sentiment of wanting to partly tell the story from Hae's point of view, but the execution made me want to strangle someone. Maybe I should phrase that differently.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Diggy like this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    When they erased his prom date and drew in Hae, I literally did the Seinfeld gif I post far too often. And I would now, but I’m on my phone and it’s a pain in the arse.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks for the input. I kinda of got that impression, and to be honest nothing about it grabbed me. Hence why I haven't listened to it yet.

Diggy likes this.
  23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The HBO show is good

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It was pretty decent in the first episode. I'll be interested to see what info is presented that I didn't already learn from Serial.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, there's one in the HBO show that I don't recall hearing in the Serial podcast, and that Hae was abused while in Korea. I think I would remember something that in the podcast, but I don't.

What do like with the HBO documentary is being able to put faces with names. I now know what Don looks like and what he looks like now as the filmmakers were able to track him down and provide information that he's now married with two kids (IIRC). Looks like he didn't want to talk about camera, but agreed to provide a few comments as there's footage of him taking to someone from the film crew on the porch of his house. Not surprising the Private Investigators that the filmmakers hired want to look more into Don as a suspect and noted his work alibi given by his boss is his own mother. I don't recall that being mentioned in the podcast either. But it's been two years since I listened to the podcast.

And speaking of putting faces to names, the person that found Hae's body seemed very agitated with his cross-examination on the witness stand by Adnan's attorney.

Next episode we see the key witness, Jay.

I'll say this, the podcast and the HBO documentary is Monday morning quarterback, meaning "hindsight is 20/20." So, there will be obvious issues with the defense's case and perhaps the way the police investigation went down. Which reminds me of something, one of the police investigator said on the HBO show, which was something to the effect that the police don't need at arrest someone with 100% certainty that the suspect has committed a crime, but just a 51% probability. This is very interesting to note, but because although the law states a person is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, certain members of the jury believe the opposite. I sat in on two "jury selections" (voir dire) for criminal cases, and a common question posed to perspective jurors is "would they be able to give the defendant the presumption of innocence?" In both jury selections, there were several perspective juror said no, stating that "the police just don't randomly arrest people for no reason. The police have to have something on you to be arrested." And I think this may have played into the jury finding Adnan guilty; that and the local news coverage. When something like this is covered in the news, the presumption of innocence is often lost.

A side note, I finished watching HBO's Finding Neverland and this was a documentary that's the opposite of the Serial podcast regarding Adnan Syed and Netflix's Making a Murderer, where the public does provide the accused, Michael Jackson, the presumption of innocence and the documentary's narrative tells a different story. It's interesting that these two documents make their debut a week from each other and the juxtaposition of the two.

MrZAP and Bacon164 like this.