main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Serial. Listen to it.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    so like... what's Jay's deal?

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    wait so i dont understand what's happening next week? more about the prosecution's case?

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I hope not. I want to get back to the Innocence Project.

I like the way Adnan's sister is working the reddit crowd. She should go into politics. Also her latest blog post is great. Her brother could not possibly have a better or more loyal advocate.

The biggest forensic mystery apparently is the blood and mucus-stained tshirt in Hae's car. Not Adnan's blood. Not Jay's blood. Not Hae's blood. No one else's blood tested.

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    who's adnan's sister? do you mean rabia? rabia's just a family friend

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    its ****ing don. don did it. **** don

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The same as Adnan's, apparently.

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    you're right! how did I get that confused?

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    she's ****in tough is all i know

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Episode 9 was good. A tear jerker. but the biggest revelation was that 1) *surprise!* the business model of Serial is listener donations and 2) no episode on Thanksgiving. That one really threw me for a loop.

10. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    What are everyone's thoughts on Christy

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think that the report pointed out enough inconsistencies for us to conclude he probably did know about the bridge closure all along.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  12. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Do you mean Cristina Gutierrez? I was surprised she fumbled the case so badly after hearing so many people talk about what a great defense attorney she was. A few of the most interesting/biggest revelations from the episode for me were:

1) Jay getting his attorney provided by the prosecutor. I had been digging around on the Serial subreddit/Rabia's blog/some of the other Serial discussion sites online and already knew about this, but really hearing that part of the trial where Gutierrez found out about it was - as Koenig said - jaw dropping. The very idea of that is so massively shady that I still can't really fathom how it played out, it doesn't really speak to Adnan's actual innocence or guilt, but it does make it more likely for him to have been convicted on evidence that didn't really hold up that well. I want to know more about Jay's plea deal, but I'm not sure if Koenig has any more about that since it was likely private.

2) The fact that the jury was leaning towards acquittal in the first trial and the whole drama of the mistrial. I think actually I had a bigger jaw-dropping reaction to the juror's note about how Ms Gutierrez was a liar and how were they going to proceed. Obviously that deserved a mistrial, but it's hard to think about how they came so close to acquittal the first time around and then lost it on the second trial.

3) It was interesting to hear about how Guttierez's health problems affected her practice and some of her cases at the end, but I also felt like there were some very weird things that weren't explained by MS or any of her other health problems. The way she treated Adnan's family, her demands for cash at the last minute and threats to take their house away all seem extremely unprofessional and really shocking. I don't know if any of her health problems affected judgment or mental capacity to the extent that they could create erratic behavior of that kind, or if that's just the kind of person she was, but both of those definitely made me think less highly of her and definitely put all the praise for her from other people into a different light.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    You might be surprised how difficult it is to get a lawyer disbarred for ethics violations, but co-mingling your own funds with those of your client is certainly one of the things that can make it happen. The stories of shaking down clients for cash payments were pretty disturbing. On the other hand, Guttierez likely had to build her practice from a point early in her career when it might have been extremely difficult to get money from some of the clients she was defending. So she could have developed bad habits for collecting payment early on in her career that stayed with her even as her client base became somewhat more affluent. Hard to say what exactly was going on with her.

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Been listening to this for a few weeks now and it's very addictive.

It sounds like the next episode may play with the idea of Adnan as a very convincing/charismatic liar, which could be a fun detour unless it's the real truth.

I have no clue who may have done it. I kind of like Adnan, but some of his story, hell everyone's story doesn't make perfect sense. I'm just really surprised there was a conviction.

Also it's so weird that Christina Gutierrez was going on self destructive bender of taking on more work than she could handle, outright taking money from clients without clear purpose and just generally being a bad lawyer. She really thought she could win his case I guess.

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    lawyering bender lol

i love this podcast. free adnan. he's cool

16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Next episode is last episode

wow

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm holding out hope that Sarah will have the balls to present her own alternate timeline/theory of what actually happened that day, but it's a thin hope, and I don't really hold it out. It's going end up being exactly what Ira Glass asked in his interview with Sarah before the series started, something like "This isn't going to end up being one of those contemplations on the subjective and inconclusive nature of evidence and the truth...is it?"

Clearly this doesn't end with Adnan walking out of jail and Sarah greeting him in the parking lot with a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of champagne.

18. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I think Sarah's take on journalism and the role of journalists precludes her from spending too much time dwelling on her personal opinions of what's happened, even though that may be the most interesting to listeners, since she has reviewed all the evidence we haven't.

I do have a suspicion that my avoiding spoilers and reading the subreddit cautiously and sporadically rather than voraciously will end up to have been misguided. I doubt there will be any captivating new evidence or theories presented next week, and I'll have to go back and re-read threads that I only skimmed or bookmarked when they looked like they were venturing into territory SK might eventually venture into and had intriguing new facts. I do think SK is a great storyteller, and I have really enjoyed the show, and I never imagined it would result in any huge catharsis or overturning of Adnan's sentence, but I just can't imagine what's left for next week to make it a satisfying final episode.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I started listening to this today, because of this thread, and because on a far more intelligent message board there is a thread on it, describing it as "The Wire of podcasts". High praise indeed.

After the first one, the journalist seems too close, no doubt an opinion that will change - it would all be a bit boring otherwise.

But things like looking into his eyes and not seeing a killer didn't sit quite right.

But Asia's whole thing was head-desk stuff. Oh deary me.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Um. A lot of podcasts fit this description Maik. Like, Nerdist ones, Hardcore History, Freakonomics (which is also NPR), the Economist, BBC...

Just saying. Maybe you don't podcast lift bro?

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    actually ender im afraid serial is the most popular podcast in history soooooo

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hardcore history is 3rd and Freakonomics, 7th.

You could have done the podcast thread a favour, Maik. So disappoint.

//sadhulkmusic

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

So I'm up to Episode 6 now, Rogue_Ten and I've a theory.

Don't know if this is a common or favoured one, but I think Jay and Adnan conspired to kill Hae. Jay brags, almost, in interview tapes about being the 'criminal element'. Adnan decides to kill Hae, goes to see the only criminal he knows - his weed dealer Jay. He asks if he knows anyone who knows a thing or two about killing a person; Jay says he'll help and does (hence the shovels). Only thing is, Jay either panics or does something dumb and tells other people about what happened. His narrative shifts in order to paint a consistent picture - where he was not a willing co-conspirator but where he was lumped into helping ex post facto. Think about the remarks about how Adnan wouldn't hesitate to dob Jae in etc - all adds up to this theory for me. And Adnan? He knows he can't say Jay was in on it, because to do so is to confess and he's banking on being able to get away with it cleanly. Esp if some naive NPR report buys his patchy story and Thin Blue Line style, the conviction is overturned. He can easily, based on the lack of evidence, sue the state and get a hefty settlement so yeah... that's where I'm at. Could be wrong, though - I'm not stopping listening.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    the theory's been running around the subreddit for weeks. It's a reasonable take on the evidence. Maybe the only reasonable take knowing what we don't know.