main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD SERIOUS BUSINESS LIVE - Let's make with the planing

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Murder_Sandwhich, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Serious Business Live - The first Serious Business themed LAN. We'll be sharing files, drinking some beer and most importantly; Playing some TF2. Let's plan this thing.

I don't mind having this at my house again, but Gooba expressed that he would like to hold it. So, I suppose that's up to him.

Also, when? I'm free on alternating weekends, but if I ask nicely, I should be able to get the day off if I needed to.

What say you, Serious Business men?

2. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    Sounds good to me. Time and place. Decide, and I will be there.

3. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm not fussed as to venue. It'll need to be a weekend I'm not working, though (and hopefully I won't get conned into working like I was last time...). I generally go 2 weekends on, 2 weekends off. The next 2 Saturdays I have off are the 1st and 8th of March. Either of those days would be great for me.

As usual, I wish I could nominate my place for a venue, but there's just no communal area where the computers could be put.

4. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Sounds like fun times to me - I'll try and figure out the next few weekends I've got free. I should really start sourcing an external hard drive whilst I'm at it.

5. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Bumpity-bump.

Any more thoughts or developments here? I'm eager to get this happening, since our last two LANs have been so good. So I feel like nudging the planning process along (which is like herding cats when it comes to QLDFF...), so let's nail it down using the process we did for the first LAN.

1 - Venue
    2 - Guest list
    3 - Date
    4 - Logistics

Number one is up: who wants to volunteer a venue?

6. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    It's looking like my place is out, because we'll be laying floorboards and painting for a little while.

7. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Okay, well that's a blow, but it's all good. You've held it more than once in the past, it's only fair that we share around. Anyone else got any ideas?

8. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    My and CJ's place is available - the dates we'll all need to plan.

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Okay, awesome. Well, March 8 was mentioned earlier in the thread, how does that work for people? The next Saturday after that which works for me is March 29. How do people feel about those days? We need to get an idea of the turnout, so any of the usual suspects who don't bother to check this thread, expect a poking PM asking you. Not that you'll know to expect it, since you didn't check the thread... [face_thinking]

10. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    If I play my cards right, I should be able to take off the 8th.

11. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    My standing policy is simple. Pick a date, and I'll be there if I don't have plans that can't be unmade.

12. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    The 8th is looking good so far. We'll pencil that in, and I'll start sending PMs to people who might be interested, checking up.

13. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I work until 2, so 3pm-on is okay for the 8th of March.

Of note this time, is that this is mostly a gaming LAN, moreso than a filesharing one.
    So, make sure your steam is fully updated etc etc...

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    As far as I know, I'm good for the 8th. Will let you folks know if my plans change.

15. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    I'll be up for this, I'm just not 100% sure that my little laptop will be.

16. Lord_Zerebin

Lord_Zerebin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2006
    I too finish work at 2pm on March 8th. Skaro is working properly so Serious Business Live is going to be great!

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    W00t, the 8th is looking good. :D

Good point about the gaming focus, Goob. I'm definitely on board with this one. It's Serious Business Live, and although filesharing is serious business, it's not Serious Business, if you catch my drift. :p We've all gotten most of the stuff off of others that we want at the previous LAN, so I'm definitely going to be focusing on the gamings.

Question: what's the internet situation at your place, Goob? Do you have a router? If you do, it will make things much easier for all concerned, since not only will it allow the whole LAN net access (essential for Steam to work properly), but it will handle the work of dishing out IP adresses. If you don't have one, we'll have to look at buying one. Also, will your connection speed and download cap stand a bunch of us sharing the pipe for online play?

Lozza: Like I said, your old video card plus my old PC means you won't need to bother with your recalcitrant laptop. It'll be a cinch to set up.

Current list of combatants stands at:

- Goob (Proprietor of The Thunderdome, which I am now christening his house as)
    - Me
    - Sammich
    - Zerebin
    - Lozza
    - Cargin
    - Morgan (?)

People we need to PM to poke into RSVPing (i.e. the rest of the usual suspects)

- Magnus
    - HappyBob (?)
    - Any friends who might be interested. My brother might possibly have his new gaming box by then, and he could well be up for it.

18. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I only have a Netcomm 4 port modem.
    20 gig/ month cap with my 1500 ADSL1 connection.

How did we rout/route/yadda @ MS's place?

And can we decide on game/s pls?

19. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm in, but I'd have to bail early if it's held on March 8; got a busy night.

As for games, we have the stalwarts of TF2 and Flatout 2. Any new great multiplayer extravaganzas coming out between now and then?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

20. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Worms!

21. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    TF2, Flatout and Worms I can get behind with much excitement. For something more deathmatchy, I have copies of Quake 3 and UT2004 to share around. UT is always great. A humans vs bots run through the Assault maps is a ton of fun.

Goob, if your modem has 4 ports, then yeah, it's a router. Fantastic. The setup is nice and simple. We hook all the computers up to one or more gigabit switches (which Zerebin and I can provide), then simply run one cable from there into your router. The router's DHCP server assigns IP addresses to all the connected machines, and that's literally all it takes. The whole LAN has internet access, and we're hooked up to a superfast gigabit network to keep things speedy for file transfers and local gaming. Piece of cake.

22. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Hmm, it is possibly a good thing I bought the id superpack then - I'll start downloading Quake then shall I? Come to think of it, I'll do that anyway. I love that game.

23. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    *Watches TF2 download... 98% now...*

:D

24. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Don't be disheartened if you're "owned" for a bit - it takes a bit of time to learn all the characters and maps, and a lot, lot longer to master any of them.

But the nature of the game is so that you're taught as you play. Medics see who's needing their help, engineers have tabs on the status of their equipment, and so on.
    And find a nice server where people take time to help you learn. So, avoid Game Arena.

As for the LAN, who's in the list without steam? And if you do, do you have TF2/HL2?
    Just keeping in mind for myself what games can/can't be played by all.

25. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Anyone who doesn't have TF2 but wishes to imbibe the sweet, sweet nectar of Serious Business, the process is easy:

- Go to www.steampowered.com and download Steam.
    - Create an account.
    - Use your credit/debit card to purchase the Orange Box. (You could purchase TF2 on its own, but you'd be missing out on the other life-altering goodness that is Half-Life 2 and Portal.)
    - Bodily drag your PC to Serious Business Live.
    - Network that sucker.
    - Let some kindly soul transfer the TF2/Orange Box game files over the network unto you, saving you from having to download anything.
    - BRING THE NOISE.

Upon following these simple steps, the joy of Serious Business shall be yours to share in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.