main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD SERIOUS BUSINESS LIVE - Let's make with the planing

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Murder_Sandwhich, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, big props to Goob for putting on a good show. We packed people in in a surprisingly efficient fashion, and good times were had. We're definitely getting better at this LAN caper. Next time, I think the primary concern definitely needs to be a fast outgoing LAN connection, either to Internode or to GameArena, so we can get pings of less than 300. Preferably Internode, because their servers are better. Definitely can't wait for the next installment.

2. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    A 4-power board is here, with outlines where the plugs go on it.

3. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    It's possibly mine.

4. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Might as well repurpose the existing thread for this rather than create a new one...

Fact #1: Everybody loves Serious Business. That's a scientifically proven fact. And everybody loves Serious Business Live even more.

Fact #2: On November 4 (maybe) Left 4 Dead will be released.

Fact #3: Why plan one LAN party when you can plan two?

Ladies and gentlemen, here is what I propose:

Pre-November: Serious Business Live: Why So Serious?
    [image=http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh172/jthees/lolcats/Serious-Cat-Joker.jpg]
    Some time in September or October all us Serious Business types get together to get our TF2 on, and some Flatout as well (Flatout Ultimate Carnage is going to be hitting Steam sometime this month...), basically devote our time to the games we'll forget all about when the zombie apocalypse hits us.

ASAP after November 4: Serious Business Live: Open 4 Business (AKA Serious Business Dead)
    Zombies. Zombies. Zombies zombies zombies. Zombies zombies. Zombies zombies zombies zombies zombies zombies zombies zombies. Zombies.

So what do we think? I know we're awful at planning this stuff. But I know I'm not the only one who wants to make an event out of Left 4 Dead. If at all possible I'd like to have another LAN before it comes out, something more of a free-for-all, so we can totally focus on L4D come November. But we're getting better at pulling these things off. We've built up most of the hardware we need, so to get something happening we really just need someone to volunteer a venue, and to pick a date. So who's game?

5. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I'm game... if you'll excuse the bad joke. Just grab a gun and shoot that damned cat. Something is just so seriously wrong about that image.

6. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I've got Serious Business Dead penciled in for November 10th, which is the Saturday following Left 4 Dead's release.

But for anything beforehand, I'm not sure if Echo Base is going to be up for it. We've just put down floorboards in the back room were the LAN's usually happen and if I was to drag in the table and chairs, the floor would get scratched to hell. But soon we're ripping up carpet in other places in the house, which I can use to put underneath the tables and chairs. So until then, I'm going to hold off.

7. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I think you might mean November 8, Sammich. The 10th is Monday.

You've taken the venue-bullet on multiple LANs thus far; nobody expects you or your doubtless-long-suffering parents to volunteer for all of them.

8. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    ...and my connection (1.5mbit) didn't hold up too well when we were all trying to play online.

We need options...hmm...
    [image=http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2008-04/funny-cat.jpg]

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    [image=http://lolcat.com/pics/killsuperman.jpg]

Tosche Station is equipped with an 8 megabit cable connection with a generous data limit. But as a venue itself it kinda sucks. I could concievably hold, I dunno, 4 people if they were spread out a bit, like 2 in the kitchen and two in the living room, plus G's and my machines in their present locations, but that's really pretty awkward.

10. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    If push comes to shove, you guys might want to consider a hiring a small hall for the evening. Would solve the, we don't have enough room thing. Of course anybody who has an indoor garage they can clear out quick smart is also doable. Just need a sizable table with enough chairs to suit.

Just tossing ideas around for ya's ;)

11. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I'll be up for the pre-L4D SB, but I can't make the 8th as my Brother's 21st Halloween extravaganza is on that night. But then, my system won't run L4D anyway so I'd be a spectator more than likely. [face_thinking]

12. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I was considering offering my place, but my low connection speed (in comparison to everyone else's) will nix that.

I will however buy the "Zombie Survival Kit" (how can it call itself that and not have a shotgun and a box of shells included??) and use it to decorate the venue :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

13. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Don't forget: we only need good external net speed when playing TF2 or anything else online. For Left 4 Dead it will be exclusively internal, just us at the LAN.

14. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    The interweb connection thingy's becoming an issue.
    [image=http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/128320993454987500dudewaitw.jpg]

...cause we know we're prone to a healthy dose of TF2...

15. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    Welp looks like it's down to me for Pre-L4D business. I'm looking into a floor covering now. Odds are we'll just rip up some carpet in another room when we need it (it's being ripped up anyway, so we might as well).

16. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Nobody's saying that...nobody except for Jayne's saying that...

17. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    Nobody at Echo Base minds having you crazy kids over. We would have had one sooner if it wasn't for the floor.

18. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    Okay, so we're using Echo Base it looks like. I'm thinking we LAN on September 20th. Anybody object?

19. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    As far as I'm aware, September 20 is fine and dandy for me.

20. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I'll be working mornings that weekend, but could make it.

21. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    20th should be fine and dandy for me, so far as I know. Mad e-props to Sammich for stepping in as usual.

Goobs, which weekend would be better for you?

22. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    The following weekend I have off... but either one I can do.

23. Murder_Sandwhich

Apr 7, 2004
    Because I faced no major objections, I've gone ahead and LOCKED IT IN

[image=http://lh6.ggpht.com/murdersandwich/SKVoehreTKI/AAAAAAAAAKs/-wknjE-c1Iw/WHY%20SO%20SERIOUS%20BUSINESS.jpg]'

September 20th - We're playing Team Fortress 2
    Location - Echo Base
    Time - Saturday September 20th, 11.00am
    We're Playing - Team Fortress 2
    Flatout 2

When I have some spare time I'm going to write up an "So you've chosen to get Serious and Lively" as a guide to LAN parties so we don't have to write it every time.

So, WHO IS MAN ENOUGH TO LAN WITH ME?!?!

24. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    A LAN Down Under? Why not? Count me in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.