main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

serious disscussion of jar jar

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DARTHMORDOR, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think it's fairly clear from what Lucas has said about it that he would have done the same thing again. He says he knew there would be people who didn't like Jar-Jar, but he wasn't making the movie for them.

2. Ascaaear

Ascaaear Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    I think you made your point now. How many times do you need to say that Lucas doesnt care what fans may think?

Anger in you I sense... something else focusing you must.

3. TheVoiceofSatan

TheVoiceofSatan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Go-Mer-Tonic - do you believe EVERYTHING Lucas says?! As I have mentioned elsewhere, the creation of the SW trilogies has always been fluid - to a large extent George makes up most of the fine detail as he goes along.. ie; the Kaiburr Crystal episode...

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I am not angry, I just happen to take the man at his word. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't.

5. TheVoiceofSatan

May 31, 2005
    You shouldn't take him at his word, simply because as I said - he largely makes it up as he goes along; and he is not likely to risk losing his 'credibility' by doing a u-turn on a character he created.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Okay, but that doesn't mean he is dishonest about what he says does it?

7. TheVoiceofSatan

May 31, 2005
    I am not saying he is a two-faced liar; but by the same token - he does not want to come out and admit he was wrong about Jar Jar; a character he had such high hopes for.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    OK we've gnawed away at that bone long enough. You guys will just have to tolerate each others' opinions. Fighting will not change it.

9. TheVoiceofSatan

May 31, 2005
    I don't think we ARE fighting?!

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, that's my call to make. My point is it's time to move on from this particular point you are arguing.

11. TheVoiceofSatan

May 31, 2005
    What? A serious discussion of Jar Jar?! That's what the thread is called isn't it?

12. Master_Yoder

Master_Yoder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    yeah and you guys aren't being serious.
    The thing Jar Jar Bashers what would you prefer?
    Jar Jar or Boss nass' annoying zxjkcgbaerugvbaeursgvbaebechgbeagecuygbeugbgbegbybrygbrgbbg

13. LeiaShmiPadme

LeiaShmiPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Hello! [face_peace]

I want to know what happened to Jar Jar after ROTS. I am sure that I heard him in ROTJ during the celebrations. How long do Gungans live?

14. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I wonder what jar jar is told about anakin? is he told the truth or is he told that anakin died in the lava?

swa

15. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    my guess is that because he serves in the senate he hears that anakin and vader are the same.

this would actually be a cool scene in the tv show. jar jar and vader are introduced and jar jar try's looking in the eyes, see if anakin is in there, wisper "ani?" and vader just turns and stares, then after a moment of hesitation, walks away. and jar jar looks to the floor in sadness. he has lost his friend for ever.

all ties are severed

16. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    Oh man, that is actually quite touching. Dang it. :(

17. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003

edit

sorry I ment to say something.

I think jar jar has a lot of potential, no that he is older hopfuly wiser, perhaps still a little clumsy. he could make for an interisting character in the tv show if presented properly. he represents innocence, in a world that has lost it.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yah except what makes you think the Senate even knows Anakin is Vader. I'd wager money that only Sidious, Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Bail Organa know... and Bail might not even know.

19. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003
    I mostly agree with you strilo but since vader is the "last" force user as tarkin says, and this is not really a secret, people know of his "sourseres ways" (really bad spelling) and since anakin was the hero of the republic, I would not be suprised if people knew anakin was the only jedi to remain loyal, and simply chaqnged his name after his accident because of the embarresment of the jedi.

I don't think its a strech to imagine people know who he is. keep in mind the general population of the galexy does not care. thay may not have even heard of anakin.

like watching the news now jessica lynch was porrayed as this great hero. but there are still people who have know idea who she is. and even those who do a lot just shrug and say who cares.

20. lightsaberbeam

lightsaberbeam Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2005
    This thread should have the title of "a nice discussion of Jar Jar".

Personally, if Jar Jar is a Disney character, he would be Goofy, both characters shared many similiar characteristics. And Goofy was originially created to entertain the general public.

Also there are a few main Star Wars characters from Episode IV~VI that shared similiar characteristic with Jar Jar, they're Han Solo (outcast), Chewbacca (alien friend), and C-3PO (talker). Jar Jar also share some similiar fate as Luke did in Episode IV (meet a couple of strangers, got dragged into an adventure, and then put in a task against the invading army). Interestingly, Jar-Jar even become a diplomat like Leia (though Episode IV~VI showed that Leia negotiate aggresively, much like her father, it should be noted that Leia's name might mean "night").

Oh boy, I think that the problem with Jar Jar might be... he could almost filled out most of the roles of the main characters in the originial trilogy! Give him a lightsaber and he's even more complete!

http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/movies/jar_jar_holy_fool_000414.html

http://www.sagajournal.com/apnotanotherpathetic.html

As for the reactions on Jar Jar.

Bright people probably don't mind at all at Jar Jar and probably like him, since he after all is quite a bright character.

Dark people on the other hand... Well...

Personally, the general public probably like Jar Jar, since I believes that the general public is still a bunch of bright people.

It also should be noted that bright people don't cheer when someone died or something got destroyed, either that is the protagonist or the antagonist.

As for the public, the mass media, and popular entertainment.

Don't confuse the three, one is the real deal, the others only claim to represent the former.

Frankly, one got to wonder of the whole trashing of Jar Jar thing in the mass media and popular entertainment, when the public seems to have a relatively positive acceptance toward Jar-Jar.

As for the lack of Jar-Jar in Episode II~III.

Like it has already been mentioned, these stories didn't demand Jar Jar to play too much in it, and also these stories are quite dark, Jar Jar wouldn't fit in quite nicely.

But these stories can be changed.

Personally, I think big budget movies (like Episode I~III) are made for propaganda purposes, and not to made for ticket sales. So the arguments that Jar Jar wasn't in too much in Episode II~III because some people don't like him and they want more ticket sales don't make much sense to me.

I personally think that they intended to make Episode I to be quite a bright movie to tick off the dark people, to made them upset intentionally, and also to made the bright people quite please.

And then they made the next two episodes to be quite dark, to satify the dark people and to upset the bright people.

Jar Jar wasn't in too much in Episode II~III probably not because they were affraid of ticket sales, it was just because that he has done his job much like Watto, Shmi, and so on. His lack of scenes in Episode II~III probably is also intentional to make the dark people grin, thinking that they have achieved something by the lack of Jar Jar.

Besides, if we go with the theory that Jar Jar wasn't in too much in Episode II~III because of viewers reactions and also worry about ticket sales, then in Episode II-III the dialogues between Anakin and Padme should have been a LOT better and George Lucas wouldn't made a comment about the current political situation during the release of Episode III. A lot of things should have been way better in Episode III.

Personally, if it was based on the viewers reactions, they should have included more scenes of Jar Jar in Episode II~III. Like one person said it to me, in the end, in all of the Star Wars movies, Jar Jar seems to be the only character that is good.

In short, no, the theory that the lack of Jar Jar in Episode II~III due viewers reactions doesn't make sense. But I do agree that there's a sort of 'false hint' that might be it.

21. Scorch62Delta

Scorch62Delta Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 5, 2005
    I think that Jar-Jar is a case of a nice character with potential who was used too much. He ha some quite funny stuff in TPM (love the dinner scene with Qui-Gon grabbing his tongue) but some of his antics were a bit distracting. I would have liked it alot if he had done something really clever during the gungan battle at the end to take down a load of droids and then realised that no one actually saw him and was disappointed that they all saw his clumsyness but missed him being smart.

22. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    If Anakin would cut down Jar Jar I probably would cry IN LAUGHTER. I would laugh so hard I would cry. But that scene with jarjar and veder made up by DarthMorder would be pretty touching I can see Jar Jar weeping while looking at the ground.

23. Reverend_Duck

Reverend_Duck Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005
    Darthmordor, I really like your idea for a scene with interaction between Jar Jar and Anakin in his Vader suit. It would fit with the dark tone of Episode III, for sure.

24. DARTHMORDOR

Jun 17, 2003
    thanks.

I really felt there was a lot of potential in jar jar to reflect the loss of anakin. any number of ways would do. like I said he could have gone with padmae to mustafar. his presence would not be a strech, and his death would have been tragic.

but there is a lot of potential in the tv series. he is loyal to the empire so he and vader meeting is not out of the question. and again would jar jars innocence and vaders evil, would be a nice contrast. I would hate to lose great moments just because there is a fear o a backlash for including jar jar.

its 13 years after TPM he has grown. lets see who he has become.

25. yoda_lover_chickadee

yoda_lover_chickadee Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2005
    Mesa liken Jar Jar...ooie booie hesa cawazy! there is a site that teaches you how to speak gungan...its cool!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.