main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY Serious question to ponder

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Inno-Vader, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inno-Vader

Inno-Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    OK - I'm just in from a long trip to the Meadowlands to see the the Rolling Stones but I had to ask you guys this before I went to bed.

So - in AOTC we see how Dooku has become increasingly powerful. Yoda acknowledges this by saying "Powerful you have become Dooku. The dark side I sense in you." We are to assume that Dooku's skills have grown by the time we see him again in ROTS.

My question is this: why has Obi Wan's power diminished so much at his old age when Dooku, clearly older in ROTS than Obi Wan was in ANH, grows in power significantly?

Did Obi Wan stop or seriously reduce his tapping of the force when he went into isolation on Tatooine? I can't resolve this inconsistency in my head. If any of you guys have insight regarding this point PLEASE post a reply.

Thanks!

END TRANSMISSION

2. Dolt

Dolt Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2004
    As I always understood it, the Dark Side was always more powerful than the, er, Light Side(?) of the Force, and therefore part of the struggle with the Dark Side was to not give in to it. Accordingly, Obi-Wan, being a good guy, would understandably not be as strong in his old age.

Or maybe he was just out of practice, given that he spent 20 years sitting around Tatooine with nothing to do but freak out Tusken Raiders by making Canadian Geese noises. :)
    Clive

3. Moorglade

Moorglade Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    Tequila.

4. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
  5. RnRJedi007

RnRJedi007 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2003
    Well , here is my take on it. As I recall Obi Wan
    didnt take the trials. Yoda made him a Jedi after
    killing Darth Maul(end of esp1). So maybe he missed
    special training? Anyone have a real answer for this?

T-KAOS

6. GotMauled

GotMauled Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2004
    There is no evidence to show Obi one was weak. there were just no situations for him to be so obviouse and flamboyant with power. He did just wat was needed and no more. One problem we have on the dark side is that we cant resist showing off.

7. Moorglade

Aug 1, 2002
    I think that's a good point. Obi-Wan never needed to show off. Generally, the ones with the most power don't.

And I believe he did take, and pass, the trials. Yoda says something to that effect in TPM. We just never see it. Which of course has led to lots of speculating on what the trials are. I like to imagine something like one of those canine obstacle courses...

8. R-4

R-4 Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2005
    Either that or Obi-wan was playing it safe trying to hide his presence the best he could so, not to be detected. Or, well I can't think of an or that wasn't already suggested

9. Inno-Vader

Nov 9, 2004
    Great feedback guys -

what I was getting at, I suppose, was that Dooku grew in power even at his age. To me, it seems as if Obi-Wan lost some juice. I mean A LOT of juice. Case and point:

He defeats Vaderkin while both are in their prime. Then, as GL explains it, Vader is now 80% of what he was in terms of power. So, if Obi-Wan could defeat him at 100% then why not beat Vader when Vader is only 80%?

I have an idea about why but I am curious what you guys think about it.

Thanks for your responses.

END TRANSMISSION

10. GotMauled

GotMauled Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2004
    But remember in the DS1 the battle was a stand off untill Obbi Doobi gave in. Then waas strong enough to tell luke to run screeming like a little girl.

11. Moorglade

Aug 1, 2002
    The way I see it, Vader never beat Obi-Wan. In the ANH duel, Obi didn't lose. He deliberately sacrificed himself.

And why did he do that? To be with Q... okay, I won't say it. :D

12. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Ooo...blueghostie!slash. [face_mischief]

:p

13. Moorglade

Aug 1, 2002
    Ooo...blueghostie!slash.

There you go, taking a beautiful thing like the love between Master and Padawan, and making it dirty. :D

14. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Like Moorglade pointed out, Obi-Wan indeed sacrificed himself. Not just to draw the Empire's attention from the Falcon momentarily, but perhaps in his 18-20 year communications with Qui-Gon Jinn, he realized that events must take their course, and he wasn't the one to destroy or confront Vader.

15. Inno-Vader

Nov 9, 2004
    Well, sacraficing aside, it seemed as if Obi's powers diminished. Vader taunts him with the whole "your powers are weak, old man." yet Dooku gains power from when Yoda remembers him last with his "powerful you have become ..." line.

I mean, if Obi Wan had him beaten on Mustafar he should have matched up well on the Death Star, ESPECIALLY since Vader is now 80% of what he was, according to GL. So just how much juice did Obi lose?

I personally don't subscribe to the belief that he just looked weaker. I can't see DYING being a distraction for the falcon to get away. Wouldn't a lengthy lightsaber duel buy more time than getting sliced? What I DO see Obi Wan dying as is "ICING ON THE CAKE;" to get Luke used to losing people he cares about. This way Luke would not fear loss and he'd be better off being wiser.

Not to get off topic but I felt my opinion needed a bit more explanation.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.