1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

Serious Question

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by GhostPoet, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhostPoet Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I have a question.

Is it illegal to download a Star Wars movie (like A New Hope) IF you own 3 copies of it on VHS?
  2. JediMasterGuff Jedi Master

star 5
    Yes, I believe so. (This ain't got anything to do with Small Screen Star Wars)
  3. dp4m JC Comic Draft Champ/Zack Snyder Is My Homeboy

star 10
    Sure it does -- he's asking about the VHS versions of the movie, very Small Screen.

And, actually, that's a tough question.

My PERSONAL opinion, as a non-lawyer, would be that "yes" it's okay to download them if they are the same version as the videotapes you own, since you ARE allowed backup copies of most commercial media so long as you don't distribute said media.

But, by the same token, you couldn't download a SE version of the film is you owned the THX-remastered non-SE version. They'd have to be "perfect matches," essentially (I believe).

But, of course, that's just my opinion -- I could be wrong!
  4. JediMasterGuff Jedi Master

star 5
    So we're allowed to talk about the films here too?

5. dp4m JC Comic Draft Champ/Zack Snyder Is My Homeboy

star 10
    Hells no. He's asking about videotapes, however, not discussing the films.
  6. JediMasterGuff Jedi Master

star 5
    "On my video, there's a thing that I didn't remember from the cinema, is this a difference?"

How about that? I'm just trying to bend the rules and give you mods a hard time, aint I a pest ;)?
  7. dp4m JC Comic Draft Champ/Zack Snyder Is My Homeboy

star 10
    How about that? I'm just trying to bend the rules and give you mods a hard time, aint I a pest

And you'll be banned for it shortly! ;)

Well, no. But seriously -- this is common sense.

Someone is clearly asking a VIDEOTAPE question about Star Wars. It's about the VIDEOTAPES THEMSELVES and not the movies.
  8. JediMasterGuff Jedi Master

star 5
    OK, I'll be a bit more serious, remembering of course that GhostPoet posted the exact same message in the Classic Trilogy forum [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=14253976&replies=5]here[/link], where it was deemed illegal and directed to the Senate forums :)
  9. Jedi-Colonel13 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The law is (I think) you are able to download or burn the movie as long as you own a copy of it. So, should you burn a copy of the movie, owning 3 copies covers you pretty well. And of course you can't sell it or gain profit from it in any way shape or form.
  10. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 9
    No that's not right.

The company has to pay for every copy of the film to be produced. In order to remain profitable, you have to pay for every copy of the film you own.

That's how it works, legally.

Of course, 70 years after Lucas is dead the copyright should expire, and then you can do whatever you want with it. But until then, downloading burned copies is illegal.
  11. Darth_Kevin Jedi Master

star 5
    No that's not right.

The company has to pay for every copy of the film to be produced. In order to remain profitable, you have to pay for every copy of the film you own.

That's how it works, legally.

Of course, 70 years after Lucas is dead the copyright should expire, and then you can do whatever you want with it. But until then, downloading burned copies is illegal.

Personal back-up copies are allowed within copyright law, however, these are frowned against since they can easily lead down the dark path of piracy.
  12. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hmm, well is there any way to get the VHS versions onto my Computer, without downloading them?
  13. Darth_Kevin Jedi Master

star 5
    Yes, technically you could use the VCR as an input device with a TV tuner card and some coaxial cable.
  14. WraithLead Jedi Master

star 3
    As far as I know, purchasing something gives you license to view it privately and have one back-up copy, also to be used privately. Neither can be distributed, but i have seen video games, and music that could be downloaded if you owned it already, probably using this as a loophole. Again, that's as far as i know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.