Seriously, Does anyone NOT like Mara?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jewlmc, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    She is one of the main reasons I stopped reading the EU and I was just curious as to whether or not their are others here who hate her as well.

Hate her, hate her and Luke together(romance sucking couple that they are)

I just really want to know. And if you do like her... stay out. Please, just be curteous to those that may want to vent as to why they think a) Mara is part of the reason the EU is going, or already is down the tubes B) Might like the EU if Mara was absenent. C)(This could attach to A&B) Want her to die a horrible death.

Anyways, just curious. You all know my stance on EU so I feel funny posting this, but I just had to know.
  2. exar-tull Force Ghost

star 5
    Mara Jade ROCKS!!!!!!!!!, but then again everybody is entilted to their opinion so feel free to hate her.
  3. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    Er..Okay.

What do other people that have read the WHOLE post have to say?
  4. exar-tull Force Ghost

star 5
    i read the WHOLE POST she is a perfect match for luke, they are the ying and yang and i will ignore your commit.
  5. JediStryker Jedi Master

star 4
    I've read your whole post. Why don't you go the Mara Haters Club in EU community? There are a couple people there who share your opinion.

6. Lonewolf89 Force Ghost

star 5
    I can't say that I hate her, although I did in VotF, but she is annoying. So, I'd say I definitely don't like her that much. I still can't figure out how she and Luke ever go together.

7. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  8. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I dont overly like her, but I dont dislike her
  9. Ginger Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't say that I hate her, but I can say that she annoys the **** out of me.
  10. sweetheart Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I don't hate her but she annoys me greatly. Just in the NJO though; in Bantam she was cool.
  11. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That wasn't much digging, but it's a good start. Mara is one of the EU's dividing issues. Excluding RIF?s* on both sides, you still have perfectly intelligent people on both sides of the debate (for example, myself and Genghis12). While she is far more liked than Calista, her popularity goes up and down.

Generally (not always), the faction here that supports Luke likes Mara. Generally, the faction that supports Kyp dislikes Mara. Oh, the irony? [face_plain]

*Rabidly Immature Fanboys. They can generally be recognized as the ones who say things like ?i think that mara jade is kewl cus she is lukes soulmate and there prefect togerthr.? or MARA JADE SUX!!!!!
  12. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Im a Kyp supporter, dont hate Mara. I break your stereotype! :)
  13. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I said most. Not all. Come on, how many threads have we seen where someone insists that Luke is a wimp because of Mara, and that he should be more like Kyp?
  14. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    At least an author finally got her height right. In the Essential Guide to Characters she was 5'3" I think, but in the comics she was always tall. In most of the books they didn't say anything about her hight, but Allen made her "tall." Finally, in SbS, she was the proper height.
  15. LanceJade Jedi Master

star 4
    Honestly, I don't hate Mara (wow... that was obvious - er... sorry) but there are some things about her that aren't great. I don't feel that the EU is going down the tubes and I've enjoyed most aspects of it greatly.

Mara can't (in my opinion) be singled out for any problems perceived or real within the EU. In fact, I have found her character become a backbone of discussion concerning Jedi philosophy. It?s a different point of view, but perhaps not the most correct one.

Then again, I feel it is the same as Kyp. While I don?t hate the character, I definitely find some problems with him. Once again, I feel this is intentional by the authors to make continuos debate.

Just my thoughts. :)
  16. Vergere Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    wow, if i hadn't known you were an actual user beforehand i'd have guessed you were another of Kyptonite's wonderful socks. [face_plain]

17. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes, I agree with the person who said that the Bantam Mara was better. Back before the Zahn duology, back before Mara thought she knew more than Luke, I really did want them to get married. I found them to be perfect for one another. Now that they are, I just don't care for Mara as much. I guess it's because the NJO is making a lot of people not care for characters, such as Mara, Kyp, Jacen, Luke, Borsk, etc. I think it's because the NJO is a time where nothing is peaceful and there's a ton of conflict, and not all the characters are going to be their cheerful selves. War brings out the worst in some people, and it also changes other people and the way they see things. I think we're seeing these effects on the characters. Yes, we may not like the change, but more often than not that change will happen as a result of such events.

Jae Angel
  18. LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't like Mara very much, but that's no reason to stop reading EU. There are many other great aspects in the books, and you just have to deal with the Mara/Luke thing.
  19. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Well, I can't stand Kyp OR Mara, is that okay? I'm trying to decide if it's a generational or a gender thing... I have yet to meet a single female SW fan over the age of 20 who likes her.

The minute I read the cover jacket of the first NJO and realized that Zahn's pet centerfold "Mary Sue" was going to be THE major character of the new series, I realized that I was about to save a lot of money by not buying the books and a lot of time by not reading them.

As far as I'm concerned, Mara is THE person I would most like to see killed off, followed with Kyp at #2. Jaina would probably be #3...
  20. IronParrot Manager Emeritus

star 5
    In a valiant attempt to be ignorantly blissful -

What's a Mara?
  21. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    As for myself, I don't look at a book jacket and decide right there whether a book is going to suck or not. And I don't follow the opinions of other people ( although they can color my view one way or the other. )

It's up to me to actually read the book and then decide how I liked it. Only a small handful of SW books have left a bad taste in my mouth, and only 2 felt like a waste of my money.

Most times, I get my money's worth, and I get an enjoyable story. I don't focus on the stuff I hated. I concentrate on what I liked.
  22. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I like her okay, she grew on me finally, in Rebirth. She became a human in that book. It's more like the hype surrounding her I don't like.

In the Dark Side book, it made her like a 17 in combat, and Vader like, 10. Get freakin real! A 6'6" man with cybernetic enhancements, and a Sith Lord to boot, would not even break a sweat getting rid of a somewhat Force-sensitive 5'3" teenager. It's insulting. But that's the hype. It has nothing to do with the girl in the story itself.

Also in VotF, Zahn made Mara Vader's equal (LOL!). That's crazy. He earned his spot, despite how grisly it was, and was much sharper. And a million times stronger in the Force.
    Looking at Palpy's structure, I say, no way in hell. No one important even knew Mara at all. Thrawn only remembered her because he had a flawless memory.
  23. LucyShysa Jedi Padawan

I'm a single female well over age twenty who likes Mara. I do concede I'm probably in the minority for my age group, though. Mistress Renata may be onto something with a generational theory for liking or disliking the character. Most women my own age with whom I've discussed the character prefer Leia (or sometimes Callista) because they would prefer to be viewed as being like Leia (or Callista). Mara's agression seems to be more attractive to a younger set.
  24. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Mara Jade...

In her initial outing, TTT, she was a pain in act 1, but was meant to be a villain, improved in act 2 and was very good in act 3.

The trouble with Mara can be located in two stories:

VOTF
    Dark Tide 1 & 2

In each Jade gives lectures on the Force and is, in neither case, rebutted or even questioned. In the case of VOTF, some quite dodgy reasoning comes into play to absolve Mara of all the evil she did when serving Palpatine.

Why is this a problem? It is a problem that does not just apply to Mara, [also to Leia and Jaina]. While all 3 are shown as basically good, they are also allowed to be aggressive, abrasive and even acerbic to people. The retort to this criticism is the standard feminist line that that is the way men act. But that is not true of the men in SW, when did we ever see Luke or Han lay into either an adult or a kid, in the way Leia, Mara [both in DT] or Jaina does [BP]?

The fact is this is annoying because none of these characters are particularly bad. As depicted in TLC or BP, Mara is a good character and not that annoying, similarly so in SBS and EOV.

The problem is it is the allowance of certain ways of acting that tends to eclipse the character's good points, much like the Solo kids NJO Years 1-3. Acting the prat should be wrong, end of story, but SW authors seem intent on having women acting the prat to make them seem 'strong'. Since when was strength entirely dependent on duffing people up, physically, mentaly or verbally? It's crappy, cruddy thinking like that that wounds a potentialy great character, such as Leia and Mara. (due to their EU portrayals, I cannot say either is great, it is too badly flawed.)

Regards

Jedi Ben
  25. _Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't have much time to write, but I agree with the point that Mara is well-written anymore. she doesn't have the same attitude, and when authors that are incapable of writing her correctly try to use that attitude, it ruins her character. she was perfect in the thrawn triology, but now, she just isn't the same.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.