Seriously, Does anyone NOT like Mara?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jewlmc, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Vergere- Jedi Master

star 4
    I am not Mara's fan in SbS either.
  2. JediJSolo Force Ghost

star 4
    Quite frankly, the Mara from Zahn?s books would not have made a good wife, in my humble opinion. During those books she didn?t seem to be the type of person who would ?settle down? for any thing or any one. Also, her attitude would have simply driven Luke nuts. He may be a Jedi Master, but there are still limits as to how much criticism a Jedi Master can take. She needed a personality overhaul to make her marriage to Luke believable.

This personality overhaul became apparent the instant Luke popped the question. She stopped criticizing his shortcomings (I hope non-of you took that as a pun [face_plain]), and she started to become a much warmer character.

She is still the same Mara she always was, she has just softened up a little, and that makes her love for Luke seem more genuine. I just couldn?t see Mara being the same person she was during the Zahn books, after having spent over 5 years as Luke?s wife. After that many years with someone, you will start to develop similar personality traits, and your old ones will not be as strong as they were before. She has just demonstrated that Luke has started to rub off on her, and she doesn?t seem to mind that too much.

She still demonstrates the same stubbornness that she has always had. She has just started to choose what she wants to be stubborn about more carefully.

I support Mara because I don?t dislike her. There are lots of things I admire about her, and lots of things that I don?t admire about her. However, she married Luke and had his child (the new Son of Skywalker) and because of that, I could never condemn her. Call me sentimental if you want to, but that is how I feel. :p
  3. JWK Jedi Master

star 4
    Like'd her in the first four Zahn books. In VotF she was awesome at some pionts and I completely disagreed with her at others. In Dark Tide, well everyone (especally Corran Horn), was awefull in both books. I didn't like either of them.
  4. _Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Master

star 4
    hey, no insulting Micheal Stackpole!
  5. JediJSolo Force Ghost

star 4
    He wasn?t insulting Michael Stackpole. He was just expressing the opinion that Mara and Corran were not well portrayed in those books. It?s a criticism, not an insult.

Personally, I disagree. I think that both Mara and Corran stayed, relatively, true to character. However, I have never liked Corran?s character, so I?m not exactly an authority on him.
  6. AthyraFire Jedi Knight

star 2
    i agree with JediSolo--Mara showed growth as a character, which is something all great stories should strive for in their characterization. Mara went from bitter and full of hate to accepting her place in the galaxy and becoming a loving wife and partner to Luke. i find that admirable.

and: "I have yet to meet a single female SW fan over the age of 20 who likes her. "

i am a single female SW fan over the age of 20 who likes Mara Jade more than any other SW character.
  7. Ginger Jedi Master

star 4
    The problem with Mara is not only the hype but the fact that she's so flawless. For years there were always characters in the EU who didn't trust Han because of his background. There are people who don't like him because of his attitude. Han and Leia have arguments like any normal couple. All of this things make them real to me so that I care for them even more. However when it comes to Mara, everyone appears to not only trust her but thinks that she's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wish that the authors would portray her and her relationship with Luke in a more realistic manner because the way she is being written now screams "Mary Sue."
  8. lindil Jedi Knight

Since I have a wife whi is rather tough and maraesque :) I can be less than pleased w/ her personality, in my opinion most of the old 'classic' characters have been shabbily treated by the NJO, the spotlight while it must inevitably shift to the new Gen, does not need bad writing for the old. If you want to see a better mara you need Zahn and stckpole [his writing of her and anakin's advet. on Dantooine was the best writing she has gotten since Zahn's duology.
    She is a rather refreshing creation by Zahn [allong w/ Carrde, who is being left nearly drydocked in NJO, which is just as well because it takes excellent writers to give him the full scope of his personality, as w/ mrs. Skywalker.
    basically I say don't expect too much from NJO because it is to left brain driven and they don't want to pay the $'s to havbe Zahn keep the quality at it's highest.

-the lazy jedi
  9. Gtra13 Jedi Knight

I dislike Mara's holier-than-thou attitude. She seems to have a tough lady facade, but underneath is nothing but a little kid.
  10. lisgraa Jedi Padawan

Your not alone. I HATE her too.
  11. Amidala Starkiller Force Ghost

star 6
    i've always hated mara. i almost didn't read the njo because she and luke were married
  12. AthyraFire Jedi Knight

star 2
    well... i guess i don't understand why people would not want to read the NJO because Mara is in it. i mean, i hate Borsk Fey'lya, and he's the Cheif of State in the NJO, but i stilll read the series.

oh well. i guess it's the same as my decision not to read Dark Empire because of Palpatine... (although Palpy is like the point of the plot, and in NJO Mara isn't even featured very prominently... whatever)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.