main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seriously, why does everyone think that AOTC's dialogue was so horrible?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SupremeOverlordZar, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupremeOverlordZar

SupremeOverlordZar Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    Before you whack the Reply button and blindly flame me, I want you people to actually listen. Now, I'm not a big prequel basher, besides TPM anyhow, and I think AOTC gets too much flak just because it was a prequel. I prefer the OT, anyhow, but the lines in AOTC were not really that terrible. No real person is going to drop perfectly smooth and suave Hollywood lines on a girl. Anakin didn't, as we all can see quite plainly see. Lucas made a good move in making SW seem more real to those of us who understood that intention. Now, I don't know how many of us have ever been in relationships as such, but I can tell you that how Anakin talked to Padme was entirely normal.

Discuss/Flame.

Strilo edit: Threads like this that address the negative opinion of "everyone" rarely end up well. This thread is going south so, it's going to be locked.

2. Darth_Sam_Jackson

Darth_Sam_Jackson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Dooku "Our force powers are even"
    Yoda "I see we must settle this via lightsaber duel"

Padme "Anakin, you killed women and children"... 2 seconds later.. "I love you!"

3. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Speaking as a married man, I must say it was bad acting as well as bad lines. If I showed so little emotion to my wife when I say "I love you" and Hayden and Portman do, she would file for a divorce. Cheesy lines recited without any sign of chemistry do not make for convincing romance. I have less trouble suspending my disbelief watching ewoks route Imperial Stormtroopers than I do believing there was any romance between Anikin and Padme in AotC.

4. SupremeOverlordZar

SupremeOverlordZar Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    Ah, Darth Sam Jackson, all of the lines you mentioned are incorrect. One, Padme never says that line, and the [monotone]'I love you'[/monotone] was much later.

You switched around the other lines, as well.

Yoda: Powerful you have become, Dooku. The dark side I sense in you.
    Dooku: It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... (Chhh) But by our skills with a lightsaber.

Granted, it could have been better, but it wasn't that bad...

5. Magnotta

Magnotta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    It's not so much the lines(except for a few of them), as it is how they were delivered. Most of the lines seem as though the actor was reading them from the script right there for the first time. The exception of course is Obi-wan, where Ewan has been the 1 consistantly good actor throughout the PT. However, while I think AotC was incredibly horrible acted, and TPM far superior there, TPM actually had some of the absolute worst lines from the sage. "Yippiee", "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick", "are you an angel?" and practically anything the kid says was kind of dumb. However, the complete, and worst line from the entire saga comes to us on behalf of Qui-gon(I find this dispointing, as I like Qui-gon): "without them, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the force". Worst line ever. Of course if life doesn't exist there will be no knowledge of the force. That;s just bad writing.

6. achtungdaibut

achtungdaibut Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Think it's a combination of three things:
    **** dialogue, but that's been the bane of every Star Wars movie..perhaps bar ESB.

The fact that the actors are re-acting to a blue enviroment and some chap from ILM with a Silver ball on a rod. Not very engaging. If Harrison Ford used to complain about sitting in the Falcon Cockpit and not seeing space and the jump to hyperspace etc..imagine what it was like for this lot.

Lastly, GL, isn't renowned for giving his actors time for finding a scene or working on lines. If he's happy with the techincal stuff IE hitting their marks, lighting etc. He worries about everything else in post-production. His wanting to couch the Saga in a 1930's Saturday serial style probably doesn't help either.

7. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Im aware the dialoge is quite poor in the PT but you only ever really notice it with a few of the acrots. Liam neesons lines came off well because they where acted well, same with ian and ewan. Now when you look at anakin and padme there lines come off bad, and the reaons is obvious.. poor acting [face_whistling]

8. Darth-Naga-Shadow

Darth-Naga-Shadow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005

[i][b]yeah what padme said after anikan killed the sand people was un heard of....
    but some of it was ok but some of it was SUCKING!!!!!!!BAD!!!!!![hl=darkslategray][color=powderblue][b]Strilo[/b][/color][/hl][b] edit: That's not appropriate...[/b]CRAP!!!![/b][/i]

9. achtungdaibut

achtungdaibut Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    I thought their scenes in ROTS were alot better than the previous two. Still not great. But it's not Lucas's strong point. Romance writing.

10. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    "Ah, Darth Sam Jackson, all of the lines you mentioned are incorrect. One, Padme never says that line, and the [monotone]'I love you'[/monotone] was much later.

You switched around the other lines, as well.

Yoda: Powerful you have become, Dooku. The dark side I sense in you.
    Dooku: It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... (Chhh) But by our skills with a lightsaber.

Granted, it could have been better, but it wasn't that bad...
    "

To Sam Jack:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/an00py/stallowned_copy3.jpg]

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The dialogue in AOTC is just like the dialogue in TPM, ROTS, ANH, TESB and ROTJ - wonderful!

You don't understand?
    With time and training, you will

/LM

12. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2005
    It felt as if a thousand grammer school english teachers cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced[face_laugh]

13. Leia's Starboard Hair Bun

Leia's Starboard Hair Bun Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 1999
    A good way to check is to pick a random page of the AOTC line-by-line thread and just read it. If you can get all the way to the bottom without busting out laughing, you win a gold star.

14. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    It has its lows....but then it has its greats...much like every other Episode.

- O_F

15. Jedi_Sith_Balance

Jedi_Sith_Balance Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 7, 2005
    I don't know why the phrase "School Retreat" that Padme uses on Naboo bothers me so much. Everytime I hear that line I feel like she's saying, "Spring Break at Daytona". The dialogue seems to ooze with current teenage tones, like that's all Lucas is exposed to at home, and it has infiltrated the Star Wars universe in the PT. I cringe at the dialogue of when Padme is telling Anakin about her first kiss.

And while I'm on the subject, how come the Queen of Naboo in AOTC doesn't have to speak like a wooden robot like Padme did in TPM?

16. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    A wooden robot?

Now that's just impractical.

17. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    its a mix of different things..but if you dont like it..dont watch it then...enjoy the movie for what it is..

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Nobody thinks the dialogue is bad, if they applied thought they would see how appropriate it is for a Star Wars film.

19. Jedi_Sith_Balance

Jun 7, 2005
    :D

R2D2 has tons of character. The character's a robot. Got nothing against robots.
    Queen Amidala in the ladybug costume, with robotic stance and wooden dialogue = wooden robot.

Anyway, I love the world of Star Wars, I love the characters of Star Wars. I wouldn't be here if I didn't.

Didn't realize that if you didn't adore every single aspect of every single film, you couldn't express those opinions on these forums... :confused:

20. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    "R2D2 has tons of character. The character's a robot. Got nothing against robots.
    Queen Amidala in the ladybug costume, with robotic stance and wooden dialogue = wooden robot.
    "

[face_laugh] :D [face_laugh]

It was a joke, chief.

I do realize you didn't actually mean a robot made of wood.

But, thanks for clearing that up for me, otherwise.

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Nobody is saying that. It's just we can disagree with the way you see it if we so choose.

It works both ways.

22. Jedi_Sith_Balance

Jun 7, 2005

[face_laugh] :D [face_laugh]

It was a joke, chief.
    I do realize you didn't actually mean a robot made of wood.
    But, thanks for clearing that up for me, otherwise.
    [/quote]

[face_peace]
    Poor Anakin with all those splinters...

23. Believe

Believe Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2001
    "you're going to pay for all the jedi you killed today" ... come on, this sounds like something out of a Dolph Lundgren flick!

24. Battlemaiden

Battlemaiden Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Here is but a sample of the frightful dialogue in AotC, much of it attibutable to our hero Anakin

Anakin: It's worse! He's overly critical.. He never listens.. It's not fair!

Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse.. And it gets everywhere..

Threepio: I'm scrap.. This is a nightmare!

Threepio: (decapitated) Oh I'm quite beside myself.

Threepio: Die Jedi dog! What did I say?

Anakin: When I'm around you, my mind is no longer my own.

Threepio: This is such a drag (so many puns, urgh)

Yoda: Around the survivors, a perimeter create!

Anakin: Don't be afraid.
    Padme: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a bit everyday since you came back into my life.
    Anakin: What do you mean?
    Padme: I love you.
    Anakin: You love me? I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we'd be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.
    Padme: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. I truly... deeply... love you and before we die I want you to know.

Anakin: From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again... I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you- I can't breath. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating... hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me... what can I do?- I will do anything you ask.
    If you are suffering as much as I am, PLEASE, tell me.

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    None of those lines are bad in any way.

That's just par for a Star Wars film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.