main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seriously, why does everyone think that AOTC's dialogue was so horrible?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SupremeOverlordZar, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    It wasn't. The love dialogue was pretty goofy, but other than that, I really don't see how AOTC's dialogue was so dreadful. It sounded like the same old "Lucas-speak" to me.

2. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    "you're going to pay for all the jedi you killed today" ... come on, this sounds like something out of a Dolph Lundgren flick!

And "I'm Luke Skywalker, i'm here to rescue you!" doesn't?

C'mon now..

- O_F

3. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    I only had issues w/ the Love Scene Dialogue.

"I don't like the sand...it coarse and rough, and it gets everywhere. Not like here, where everything is soft...and smooth." :oops:

"I truly, deeply love you." [face_sick]

"So do you, more beautiful I mean...for a senator I mean."

"Oh Ani, you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tattoine." :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I'm doing the faces for the 1st time. Before this new format I could only do the smiling face. [face_dancing]

4. Darth_Sam_Jackson

Darth_Sam_Jackson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    R2D2 has tons of character. The character's a robot. Got nothing against robots.
    Queen Amidala in the ladybug costume, with robotic stance and wooden dialogue = wooden robot.

Anyway, I love the world of Star Wars, I love the characters of Star Wars. I wouldn't be here if I didn't.

Didn't realize that if you didn't adore every single aspect of every single film, you couldn't express those opinions on these forums...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/an00py/stallowned_copy3.jpg]

5. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Look out! The Sam Jack Attack!!

6. Darth_Sam_Jackson

Jun 13, 2005
  7. Darth_Sam_Jackson

Jun 13, 2005
    D.......lightful

8. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    This line is hilarious

Dooku: It is obvious that this contest can not be decided by are knowledge of the force, but by are skills with a lightsaber.

HA HA HA HA HA HA
    That is so funny11

9. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

It wasn't. The love dialogue was pretty goofy, but other than that, I really don't see how AOTC's dialogue was so dreadful. It sounded like the same old "Lucas-speak" to me.

Agreed. The romance dialogue was pretty awful, but if you take that out the rest is pretty much on a par with the other films. That scene with all the talk about sand is jaw droppingly bad though.

10. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    AOTC was full of classic Star Wars dialogue ("I love the Republic. I love democracy.") The only bad lines were in the romantic scenes. I think Lucas was trying to write a Chasing Amy-style tortured romance (compare the fireplace scene to the part in Kevin Smith's film where Ben Affleck's character confesses his love for his lesbian friend. The rhythms and tone of the dialogue is eerily similar). I appreciate his intent in these scenes, however, he wasn't quite up to the challenge. Either that, or Jonathan Hales screwed up the dialogue :)

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    The romance dialogue was great too. Some of the best stuff ever.

12. SupremeOverlordZar

SupremeOverlordZar Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    Uh, I wouldn't call it great, persay, some bad, yes, but not entirely so.

13. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2005
    I don't really think Go-Mer was making a serious comment, a joke perhaps?

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I was being dead serious.

It doesn't get any better than: You are in my very soul, tormenting me!

That there's what it is folks.

15. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    I LOVE the bad lines in Star Wars movies, by and large. But "ex-squeeze me" in TPM and Anakin's fireplace scene speech are beyond "star wars" bad.

16. SupremeOverlordZar

SupremeOverlordZar Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    Go-Mer, please, please tell me you are joking. It isn't the most soulful and natural dialogue in the world, and I really wouldn't call it the 'best ever'.

17. Almost-Human

Almost-Human Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    The hip and popular thing to do these days, IMO, is to state that the PT is horribly written. I do not agree. Yes, the films aren't "The Godfather" (and that goes for ALL the SW movies) BUT the dialogue is NO WORSE than any other big-budgeted summer film.

18. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Hmmmmm. Average dialogue is par for the course. This type of stuff is below par, even for a Star Wars film. I still think Go Mer's gotta be winding us all up.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Where did you get the idea that this wasn't great Star Wars dialogue?

20. kupo

kupo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    I've always appreciated your devotion to TPM, Go-Mer. That is a movie deserving of praise. However, I must vehemently disagree with you on the point of this dialogue.

Poor George. He really IS a visual storytelling genius, but when it comes to dialogue, he's never been #1 in the business. However, my complaints for five out of the six episodes would be slight. Is it great dialogue? No. Is it good dialogue? Certainly, at times. Is it bad dialogue? On the occasion, I suppose. Is it FUN dialogue? Most of the time, I think. But, sadly, not so with AOTC. The love scenes and several other sections of the film were marred by some of the most cliche and or utilitarian dialogue that played out extremely awkwardly and killed any emotional connection I, as a viewer, was forming with the characters of the film. That was one of the only times in my life I can remember becoming exasperated having to watch two people who were in love. Love should be celebrated, not have all the emotion sucked out of it. Oh well, different strokes.

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Find me anything in the saga that isn't cliche and utilitarian.

I thought the love dialogue in AOTC was well written and performed. I thought there was a lot of emotion going on there, and can't for the life of me understand how someone could day it was badly written or badly performed.

By the time she confesses her love for him and they wheel them out into the arena, I am in tears over it.

If you can see that TPM is worthy of praise against the mobs of people who slammeed it, surely you can cut through the misled bandwagoning on this.

22. dv909

dv909 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    "without them, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the force". Worst line ever. Of course if life doesn't exist there will be no knowledge of the force. That;s just bad writing.

[/quote]

Brilliant!

23. dv909

dv909 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    "I'm Luke Skywalker, i'm here to rescue you!"

Best line in the entire saga.

24. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    "Misled?" "Bandwagoning?" My opinion this is!

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Who's was it before you got it? ;)

Seriously, assuming you came to this conclusion yourself, why would you say this dialogue is "bad"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.