main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Serpent-Spawn", 08/08/2011 paintings added

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    More? Please?

2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Okay, Frank, because it is you asking so nicely and I have May holidays at present:

?You look wonderful. Like a dream come true.?

Grianán´s amazement made me very proud.

?As long as I do not look like an angel.? I joked, my fingers gliding over the bask corset that I wore.

One time I had seen Arcana wearing one for an official ritual in the Mare Coloris, the Colour Desert. My breasts felt weird being pushed up like that. I felt slightly indecent.

?Mom does not look like an angel. She is blue when she appears. Recently she got a vague edge though. I was the first to notice.? The girl sighed a bit. ?The Force calls for her. She will be one with the Force vortex soon.?

I rolled my eyes, hoping that my mascara would not smear. ?Please give your best to never end up there.?

To explain the concept of privacy was difficult in a family of telepaths. The royal serpent-spawn and I had a long history here. I wondered though how Grianán had been able to guard her secrets so well all these sun years.

?I always stay in character.? she answered truthfully. ?So nobody expects anything. It would make them very nervous if they knew.

Mind reading is okay.

Levitation is okay, too.

To be able to use my hands in the way that I do would be even considered powers unnatural to them. They are not aware that living things leave traces behind in time and space. Blueprints in the Force.?

I nodded, turning around before the mirror.

Wearing my hair in braids like all female members of the royal family and mixed blooded Ophidea had never entered my mind before. It looked familiar, yet strange. I liked what I saw.

?I will make sure you never touch anything that belongs to me, ever again.?

Grianán snorted, but I heard a suppressed laughter in it.

I was already on the steps, feeling light and free in my new clothing, when I noticed that Grianán stayed behind. ?Am I to join dinner without you??

?I think it is better, when I stay behind anyway.?

?Really?? I crossed my arms in front of my chest, who seemed to be heavier than usual due to the jewellery that I was wearing. ?What makes you think so??

?After what I witnessed tonight, I am not ready to face Luçien yet. He does not need to know that I am aware of your hatred. Or that I know all the dirty secrets between the two of you. He has killed for less, you know.?

I reached out for her and squeezed her very hard in my arms. ?My little bird-bone.?

Grianán looked up, her greyish eyes sparkling with love. ?The one that yields is not weak. Mostly that person is stronger than everybody else. Your step-brother has a new enemy from now on.?

?You do not need to step in for me. This is not your conflict.?

She shook her head gravely. ?He made it personal a long time ago. Due to him people that I love are dead.?

?Revenge leads to the Dark Side,? I warned her, bewildered of the coldness that existed in the very core of her being.

?Only when I cannot let go, Isa. To let go at the right moment is very essential. If I fail to do so, I am doomed. Then the Dark Side will rule my path forever.? Her face was that of a child, but her eyes were so disturbingly ancient. ?I love you with every breath that I take. This is why I promise you that I will not fail you. I will be good for you, astonishingly good.?

?I rather have some flowers,? I muttered, stroking over the top of her head.

Her eyes were still fixed on my face, difficult to read. ?I owe you this as much as I owe this to my murdered family members.?

?This vendetta is pointless. It will bring only more sorrow.?

?Isa, I will take care of matters in the most confidential and careful way. Luçien will not know what hit him.?

I left her with a strange feeling in my chest.

On my way down the long staircase of the royal pyramid, I turned around several times.

Grianán leaned cas

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes an update and a very nice one with the rancor and Grianan.

Lucien is trouble I suppose?[face_thinking]

4. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    I think Lucien is IN trouble.

So much has happened. So much has changed.

I love some of the turns of phrase, here:

" ... They are not aware that living things leave traces behind in time and space. Blueprints in the Force.?

?My little bird-bone.?

" ... I will be good for you, astonishingly good.?

Wonderful telling through dialogue.

5. TheBride

TheBride Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2008

(Azure in disguise, wearing her up-date sock)

I can bet, dear ratna, you can tell where my ideas have their roots.

I simply love the song "Blueprint" from the Rainbirds and I waited to use that word in a "Snake-spawn" update of mine one time:

I walk ahead along you tell me not to go so fast
    but I am slower than you think I am as careful as your touch
    and when you want me to relax I am as serious as your looks
    and when you want me to believe oh oh

I sneak around the corner with a blueprint of my lover
    yea with a blueprint of my life I would better run for cover

I walk ahead alone you tell me never ever leave me
    but I am already gone I am further than the wall
    you have built around your future yes I am higher than the tower
    you climb in a suicidal mood oh oh oh

Here is a blueprint of your past here is a blueprint of your destiny
    that's all there is of you and that's all there is of me yea

sneak around the corner with a blueprint of my lover yea
    a blueprint of my life I would better run run run run run yea

with a blueprint of my life I would better run for cover

I sneak around the corner with a blueprint of my lover yea
    sneak around the corner with a blueprint of my lover
    better run yea run run for cover yea

As for the description with the little bird-bone, I simply adore the Elf Quest comics from Richard and Wendy Pini. In one of those comic books a character is teasingly called that way.

As for Grianán´s quote, I always meant to weave an altered quote from the musical "Evita" into a text of mine. Actually it is: "I will be surprisingly good for you."

[Eva:] Colonel Peron
    [Peron:] Eva Duarte

[Eva and Peron:]
    I've heard so much about you

[Eva and Peron:]
    I'm amazed, for I'm only an actress (a soldier)
    Nothing to shout about (One of the thousands)
    Only a girl on the air (Defending the country he loves)

[Eva:]
    But when you act, the things you do affect us all

[Peron:]
    But when you act, you take us away from the squalor of the real world
    Are you here on your own?

Yes, oh yes

So am I, what a fortunate coincidence
    Maybe you're my reward for my efforts here tonight

It seems crazy but you must believe
    There's nothing calculated, nothing planned
    Please forgive me if I seem naive
    I would never want to force your hand
    But please understand, I'd be good for you

I don't always rush in like this
    Twenty seconds after saying hello
    Telling strangers I'm too good to miss
    If I'm wrong I hope you'll tell me so
    But you really should know, I'd be good for you
    I'd be surprisingly good for you

I won't go on if I'm boring you
    But do you understand my point of view?
    Do you like what you hear, what you see
    And would you be, good for me too?

I'm not talking of a hurried night
    A frantic tumble then a shy goodbye
    Creeping home before it gets too light
    That's not the reason that I caught your eye
    Which has to imply, I'd be good for you
    I'd be surprisingly good for you

Please go on, you enthrall me
    I can understand you perfectly
    And I like what I hear, what I see, and knowing me
    I would be good for you too

I'm not talking of a hurried night
    A frantic tum

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Grianán looked up, her greyish eyes sparkling with love. ?The one that yields is not weak. Mostly that person is stronger than everybody else. Your step-brother has a new enemy from now on.?

?You do not need to step in for me. This is not your conflict.?

She shook her head gravely. ?He made it personal a long time ago. Due to him people that I love are dead.?

?Revenge leads to the Dark Side.? I warned her, bewildered of the coldness that existed in the very core of her being.

?Only when I cannot let go, Isa. To let go at the right moment is very essential. If I fail to do so, I am doomed. Then the Dark Side will rule my path forever.? Her face was that of a child, but her eyes were so disturbingly ancient. ?I love you with every breath that I take. This is why I promise you that I will not fail you. I will be good for you, astonishingly good.?

Lucian is making more enemies.

Comics are great for getting ideas from I do.:cool:

=D=

7. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Yes, indeed Lucien has more enemies now and much happens again, dear Gkilkenny:

Chapter 20: Shield of lies

Agathos and Narthex were not very happy when I told them about my plan to send both Grianán and her twin-sister Daná away. We had our first quarrel ever.

Narthex stood next to the oven plates. His thin lips were trembling with anger. In the lamplight of the kitchen diner the age-lines in his face look hard as steal. He looked older than fifty-tree sun years right now. His olive coloured face darkened in a very unhealthy way. ?This is madness. Just because you are paranoid... ? he gasped.

?I am not!?

My fist smashed down on the kitchen sink so hard that all three coffee mugs jumped into the air. With a loud noise they came down again. One fell on the stone floor and broke. Hot coffee splattered everywhere.

?It is essential that you both trust me,? I added much calmer, bewildered about my own emotional reaction.

?You demand too much.? There was an edge in Agathos´ voice that I had never heard before. He folded his arms around his chest, leaning against the refrigerator. ?We fully understand that there is no love between you and your step-brother. The circumstances were very unfortunate. But...?

?I will not let him destroy this family any further.? I gingerly knelt down to pick up the broken porcelain pieces. ?Can you not see what a danger he represents in our very midst? The children will end up like this mug, when he has finished with him. Shattered beyond repair.?

Narthex looked onto my palm. ?You overestimate his yearn to harm the Children of the Force. He admitted to us that he was mislead. His fatherhood changed all. It made him a better man.?

I bit on my tongue and split some blood on the floor. ?This I will only start believing when the sun itself freezes over.?

With this statement I left the kitchen and slammed my bedroom door behind me as dramatically as I possibly could.

Chrysotil did not turn into a ball of ice the next morning, but Grianán stood in front of my bed with a mug of steaming coffee. Its smell tickled nicely in my nostrils, carrying sweet promises.

?Why did you come down the pyramid?? I asked her, whipping the sleep from my eyes. ?He could have seen you.?

?Luçien and his family stay at the other end of the island,? Grianán replied calmly, holding the mug closer to my face. ?I also know ways to get to this bungalow, that not even you know.?

?How can I protect you when you keep secrets like this to yourself??

She smiled one of those mysterious smiles, that I dreaded so much. ?The Force is with me, always.?

?Great.? I reached out for the coffee and took some sips from the mug. ?Has it ever occurred to you, ma petité, that any Force stunt pulled by you causes a disturbance in the Force itself? It is like a stone thrown into a salt lake. You could leave waves.?

?The Mother Jungle is full of life forms. Including other Force users. Within it, I am shielded well.? Grianán sat down next to me. ?There is also a secret pathway between dad´s bedroom and the pyramid. He and mom were married, you know??

?Fovea centralis and I need to have a word?, I muttered into my mug.

How was I supposed to reign this world, when I was not even informed about tiny details like secret passageways??

Grianán looked nonplussed. ?I already spoke with dad and granddad.?

?Why am I not surprised??

?Because you know that I am full of surprises myself?? Grianán wiggled her naked feet, whose soles were rather dirty. She only wore shoes when the court was at the midwinter castle.

I shrugged my shoulders, defeated.

It would have been a better strategy all around to let her directly explain why this separation was necessary.

?Yes, you should have Isa. There was no need to break anybodies heart.?

I raised my right index finger warningly, though the rest of my hand remained attached to the coffee mug. ?My thoughts, your thoughts.

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Isa is sure busy with Grianan and Dana.
    And Lucien. Is he really that bad or is only the future bad.

Nice and intriguing update

9. TheBride

Oct 15, 2008
    (Azure in her up-date sock)

You are very philosophical, dearest bird. Let us wait and see what is to come!

10. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    bit on my tongue and split some blood on the floor. ?This I will only start believing when the sun itself freezes over.?

With this statement I left the kitchen and slammed my bedroom door behind me as dramatically as I possibly could.

And the sun will not freeze over.o_O =D=

Her dreams of a future where Anakin kills the tusken nomads says much of her power.:cool:

=D=

11. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Very intriguing indeed. I wonder about Isaeau's visions. Are the people of her present time the avatars of future incarnations ... ? A very fascinating story!

12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Dear ratna, Isa has stopped wondering about her visions. As a daughter of the dune sea her ancor is the now and here. To do anything else would be deadly for her. But as readers we can wonder about the future that seems to be written in the past and not the other way around... :p

As for the avatars, I actually never thought about it before.

Yes, dear Gkilkenny, she is strong in the Force, but she never would admitt it freely nor do anything with her visions about far away people in a far away future.

Let us see now what else is happening on Draconis:

In the sun week before the second serpent-spawn was to turn nine sun years old, Grianán and I rested on a hill top close to the village of Sendero. Heartily I yawned into the lazy silence of noon. The girl´s head rested on my belly, while I was lying flat on the soil. The giant tree trunk under which we lay did grant us a little shadow.

At present the forest of monkey bread trees was without leaves and therefore without any twilight. Only when the monsoon came this seemingly cursed place would be a green oasis of life again. Then the haggard branches would carry juicy, white blossoms. Until then there would be no real protection from the strong sunlight.

A comicus, a funny looking dune cricket, walked very hastily over the dusty, ocherous forest soil.

I smirked when the chitin shell of the insect broke with a horrendous crack. Then further cracking noises were to be heard in rhythmical intervals.

Only when my ward Grianán finished chewing I asked with a mix of tenderness and curiosity: ?Is indeed all well with Sereno? I have the feeling that you try to hide something from me.?

His recent letters seemed forced. They also had lost their regularity. He was hiding something from me. I could not put my finger on it, but something was utterly wrong.

?We have known each other since the day that I was born.? Grianán was giving me her full attention. ?Did I ever accuse you of being stupid in all those sun years we had together??

?You and your siblings treat me like a retard at times, without even knowing you are doing it. The Force may unite you, but it separates me from you lot. It is not fair that you have means of communication that I can never posses. How am I supposed to know what is going on with Sereno??

Grianán sighed softly. ?We did not mean to shut you out. It is just very difficult at times to put our feelings and sensations into words. And, when we have a surprise for you, it should stay as a surprise until the right moment has come.?

If I hated anything, it was to be surprised. It had nothing to do with the orphaned princesses and princes that I was sharing my life with. They tried to be as sweet as possible about it, but I just had some traumatic experiences with so-called surprises.

?This one you will like, Isa.? Grianán sounded very reassured and certain.

?Disturbo? Mi dipiace molto.?

Suddenly Éleos was looking down on us. His ears were glowing. His twin-brother Sereno, who was standing behind him and holding his shoulders, was grinning all over his face.

?Of course you are not disturbing us. We just had a usual siesta.? Grianán got up very gracefully to greet her two older brothers that she had not seen for a couple of sun years.

I l

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW, you have been busy with a gripping update, beautiful descriptions of the elves and the birth of the little one.
    And that fight. Now she has another little one to care for.

14. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    :eek:

What just happened?

Poor Isabeau. No rest for the weary.

15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Yes, sweet bird, in-between the heaviest migraine attacks ever, a lot of private sorrow & unbelievable stress at work & in-between job hunt for next school year I was able to write.

Painting returns to my shaking fingers and weary mind much slower. Almost every day I plaster a big smile on my face before I enter the school building for I owe it to the kids. Some of my colleges do not feel up to it any longer, a fact which the students feel.

Yesterday I actually got a kind ´thank you´ from a kid, that I asked politely to come down from a cupboard: "Thanks, that you did notice. Thanks, that you do care. Thanks, that you are strict with me. Thanks, that you are one of the few teachers here who gives a damn what I do."

Sniff... it will break my heart to leave them behind in the beginning of July. Those were the most intensive 8 months in a job for me until now. No wonder my story here got so intense.

Well, Isa has no rest indeed for I seldom have some, too. As a teacher you are always busy.

About the death of Sereno: since Padmé died, I felt the same anger like Isa. I really wanted to understand. Writing my last up-date I am more at peace with the decisions that GL made for RotS.

Anyway, a death always lights a torch in the dark, dear rata. See for yourself:

Sereno was gone. It took me several sun days to accept that.

His body was taken down to the ice cellar that lay deep in the vaults of the castle. There Gwenynen was brought as well. I could not force myself to visit them down there. It would devastate my memories of them and of the love that they had shared in life.

Luçien, acting confused and hurt since he had arrived with Heulwen, had instructed the Shesha were to find the sad remains of the Forest Elf.

Gwenynen had been slain about two miles from the castle, while picking mushrooms. There were strange circumstances about her death: a weird animal smell that hung around the broken body and ugly bite marks from the yaw of a large predator.

I listened carefully to the detailed report of the royal guards, but I could not deal with it. The damage was done, the result doubly fatal.

Luçien was to inform the Adar tribe. Agathos and Narthex did not want the couple to be buried on the Holy Isle. They rather had them brought to Fan Cill together for a tribal burial.

*******************************************************************************

Even though my step-brother claimed to be guiltless in the entire drama I felt he was not entirely without blame. I felt it with every nerve in my body, while I watched him bid Sionnach O´Conghaile and her two sons good-bye in the castle yard.

My heart was not sorry for him. Even though his figure was bent like that of an old man when he slowly rode away on his white horse. He did blame himself and with reason, even if I didn't know why.

The far away future did whisper into my ears, sending sneak previews over my iris.

Shimmering colours betrayed the gloomy autumn twilight around me.

There was this crumbled up humanoid. His eyes were as yellowish as that of a desert hawk. They were the only thing to be seen under his deep hood. His fingers were claws around a walking stick.

?Everything is according to plan, Lord Vader.? A cackling, mad laugh.

Next to the old man I heard that unbelievingly cold breath, coming from the depths of despair, impotence and self-loathing.

I shut my window against the chilly rain that fell out of the grey skies above, but it was too late. The cold had taken possession of my soul already, ever since I had seen the light in Sereno´s eyes go out.

?There is someth

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Wonderful update Azure, full of intrigue and foreboding.=D==D=

17. TheBride

Oct 15, 2008
    Just checking my up-date list:

*the bird
    *Gkilkenny
    *ratna
    *DG

Or did I forget somebody?

18. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Luçien, who was also present, dropped the book he was reading half-heartedly. He did not even possess the decency to hold it up the right way. I hated him so much. ?I never meant to...? he started.

My face was close to his within heartbeats. ?I was not talking about you. Not even with you. You are worth less than a grain of dust under my shoes.?

Isa is carrying a lot of grief. A lot is happening around her.

Very good posts.=D=

19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks, dear Gkilkenny.

A lot has happened to Isa and the royal family recently. Sadly you need to wait until Sunday evening for another update.

20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Due to a lot of stress of rounding up the school year at my old school, finding a new job and looking for a new place to live in since Wednesday I have no paintings or stories at all.

Sorry, folks! Perhaps after this weekend, even though it is 38 degree celsius outside and also inside...

21. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    I suppose you could use the dry on dry aquarel technique :)

and on the balcony, it is rather nice before 10am, and after 4pm too, so you could work then/there

22. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    My main concern was to find a new job and afterwards, also a house/ flat. When I can concentrate on story telling writing again, dear husband, you will be the first to know.

Actually you were the first to know, together with Ty. Thanks for editing.

PS: I also used a poem that I like a lot. They say that Elisabeth the 1st of England wrote it to the Spanish dauphin.

Thanks for suffering along as well. I hope that things will go slightly easier now.

For the next bit I used a poem that I like a lot. They say that Elisabeth the 1st of England wrote it to the Spanish dauphin. See for yourself, dear pants, how it fits in:

To have Heulwen getting whinny was a rare thing. Normally the three sun years old girl was good natured. Now she had put her small six fingered hands on her hips, her eyes coloured with anger. Her copper skin never showed the colours of her emotions at all. It was all in the eyes that she had inherited from her belated mother Gwenynen.

?But it was only yesterday that we had the feast of Imbloc,? Heulwen protested feverishly, talking with her entire body as usual. Her hands were flying like mad birds. ?Why do we need to return to Cunabula today? There is still snow all around the castle. Can I not stay behind? I take care of everything, even of the husans.?

I gave the girl an amused look, knowing that she was not that utterly fond of horses. She was so very afraid of them, that she was not even able to call them by their real name. Instead she referred to them as husans.

Actually I suspected it was a trauma that she got on the very sun day that Gwenynen had died. From the royal guards I knew that Luçien had been on horseback when he had brought Heulwen into the castle. What horrors had she witnessed as a baby?

For me it was clear though that Gwenynen had not beheaded herself. Especially not in front of her own daughter.

Something unbelievable must have taken place. Luçien was shaken to the core ever since. A large crack was in his soul. But I could not care less. Due to him I had lost many beloved ones and against all the rules of the desert I could not forget them.

I also looked back, which was far worse than looking into the future. The House Riwalan and its tribal members had lived in the present. Everything else had been regarded as sin too great to mention. This was why my mother had ignored my clairvoyance to the last.I was an orphan since nineteen sun years now.

?And how do you intend to deal with the stables and all the thirty horses we have there?? I asked Heulwen instead of pondering on uneasy matters.

All eyes at the table were pinned on the girl. She had been like a little sunbeam for the entire royal household of Tjiehenet the past three sun years. With Grianán and Éleos gone for their studies matters would have been too unbearable, even for me.

Heulwen had mashed her breakfast egg beyond recognition in the meantime. It had helped her to find a suitable answer for me. Since she had been able to walk, she had done her utmost to please me.?Malm and stable grooms will help me do deal with the husans, then I do not need to do it, Isa.?

?And the rest of the castle?? I playfully leaned on one of my elbows.

?You can leave Mollita here to do the cooking for me. Her pancakes are always so nice. Hot chocolate I can do myself.? Heulwen beamed. ?Jam pots are in the pantry.?

This was not the first occasion that Heulwen was reminding me of her far away aunt Grianán. They also shared the same sad chocolate addiction. It was bad for her Midi-chlorians, actually it made them open for the Dark Side of the Force.

?This is all you need?? I could imagine Heulwen sitting inside the shelf, bare food, her hair a total mess and being smeared with raspberry jam. She was a wild forest child after all.

?I do n

23. TheBride

Oct 15, 2008
    Checking my update list again:

*the bird
    *Gkilkenny
    *ratna
    *DG
    *DU
    *Ty

OKay? Missed anybody?

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Wonderful update and that song so fitting.
    Grianan becoming a Sith[face_thinking] and a Jedi order beginning.

=D==D==D=

25. Tyranus230

Tyranus230 Jedi Master star 7

Feb 16, 2005
    Good to see it posted!

Shall I do another short edit? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.