main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Serra Keto Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Prettyjawaprincess, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prettyjawaprincess

Prettyjawaprincess Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2006
    Well, this is my first post here, so hey! Anyways, I'm just getting into the costuming and Star Wars convention world and this is the fist project I want to get started on. As far as I know, Serra's only in the Ep. III game and it's insanely hard to find any good pictures of her. The best one I have is a picture I got out of my brother's guide book.

[image=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/Simbelmyne2/serra.gif]
    It's kind of blurry, but it's the best I can get it at the moment. Since this is my first costume, I'm kind of at a loss of how to even start. Any and all help will be appreciated!

2. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005

Try this one . .

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/Kit_Fisto/miscellaneous/serra13un.jpg]

I would love to see this costume realized. We're borrowing some elements of it for Aliska.

3. Prettyjawaprincess

Jan 16, 2006
    Ah, thanks! I've seen that picture before and the outfit is a bit different from the one she wears in the game, but awesome all the same.

4. Prettyjawaprincess

Jan 16, 2006
    Ehh, I'm really starting to get nervous. I'm prone to starting things and then never going through with them, and I'm hoping that this won't be one of those things. I'm very dead set on getting this done, I just don't even know where to start. Eep!

5. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    OMG, Serra Keto was like my fav. good guy (er person) on that game. I rented it last week. If I were of the opposite gender and had two ROTJ FX sabers I might've tried that one. She's a good choice, I love her outfit. Though if this is your first costume it may be somewhat challenging. I (or I guess my mother) started out on a simple Anakin last year, and this year I'm modifying it since my friend foolishly asked for a Chewie (which'll be a pain).

Also, anyone want to try Serra's opposite 'Sith' game character? Talk about deadly looking!

6. Prettyjawaprincess

Jan 16, 2006
    This is my first costume, but I have faith that I'll be able to do it. I'm just afraid I'll never get started. If I had my own way of transportation and if it wasn't winter at the moment, I probably could be getting a bit more done. So, until I can get anything, I'm getting as much information as I can...

7. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Start by studying all the parts of the costume and deciding what materials to use for each piece.

Start with what you think would be the hardest part first and go from there.

If you're doing this on a budget then scouring fabric stores for discounted or bargain bin material is a good start. Though sometimes they have sales and specials on the good stuff too so pay attention. I found the lining for Landos shirt at $2 a meter.
    INSANE!

Anyways the costume in the pic I posted is exactly the same as the pic you posted except for two details. The extra shoulder pad on her right and the extra tabbards hanging in the front. IMO it looks more Jedi-ish but whatever.

The hardest part of the costume has got to be the boots. Practically impossible to make yourself. If it were me I would bite the bullet and get them custom made from one of the many fine boot makers around online.

If you have to go low budget try this. Get a set of knee high boots that are the light brown orange color of the calf. Then buy about a yard or two of brown vinyl. It's cheaper than leather and assuming you get the right thickness, will have the same consistency.

Wrap the vinyl around your calf and use a pencil crayon to map out guidelines for where to cut out the outline. Use an exacto knife to cut out the shape you need but cut wide and slowly slice small bits off until you get the right affect. Cutting off is much easier than adding on so better safe than sorry.

After the shape is cut out and you've matched the curve of the vinyl to the back of your calf, I would cut the vinyl so it overlaps in the back by about an inch and then install velcro to that overlapping inch. That way the boot coverings are easily done up in the back. Sew the velcro to the vinyl with thread that matches the color of the vinyl. Glue just comes apart. Leather sewing machine needles are your friend here.

For all of the edges where the vinyl was exposed, I would leave some allowance to get tucked in and closed off. Personally I would sew it shut.

A Jedi belt is a joke to make. Easy easy.

Just buy some black vinyl, again thick and sturdy as possible without getting silly.

Cut one length 3 inches wide and about the length of your waist measurement plus 3 inches.

Cut another length 1 inch wide, the length of your waist measurement exactly.

Cut 5 strips of the vinyl 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Those will be your belt loops.

Place the thinner strip over top of the wider strip in the middle so the vinyl sides are both facing down and the edge of one side of the thin strip is right even with one edge of the wide strip.

You'll notice the thin strip doesn't quite reach the end of the wide strip. Those 3 inches extra is where the belt will close over itself. Again with velcro attached appropriately to close the belt up.

Use a yard stick to find the exact middle of the thin strip. That should be the center of where your belt buckle goes.

A belt buckle can be something you rip off from an existing belt, a carved out piece of plastic or Sintra or plexiglass or whatever you have lying around that will take paint. Cut out the right shape, and spray paint it with metallic silver.

Measuring out from the center of the belt, mark where the top and bottom of the thin strip lie with a pencil crayon about an inch from the edges of the belt buckle on either side of it.

What you'll do is cut a slit half an inch wide for the belt loops to fit through. The belt loops will go in through these two slits, snugly holding the thin strip in place. Just space them out evenly on both sides putting about 3 inches inbetween one another. When the loops are pulled through the slits, you can fasten the remaing loop material to the back of the belt where it won't be visibly seen. I like to use Welders glue, comes in a silver tube at Wal-Mart. That stuff is a costumers best friend.

For the food capsule thingys just go buy some pens from a stationery store and unscrew the bottoms, then glue em to the opening of the tops. Then use brass, silver and gold spra

8. Prettyjawaprincess

Jan 16, 2006
    ...Wow...

I think I'm ever indebted to you now. You probably just saved this whole thing for me. Now that I know where to start, I should be able to get this done eventually. Yay! Now I actually know what I'm doing kind of!

9. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Well if you get hung up on something or can't quite visualize what I'm referring to here, just gimme a holler and I'll try to go into more descriptive detail.

10. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    More descriptive detail? That covers quite a bit. Anyways, thank's for the belt tutorial. Last year all I did was a black obi and a brown belt around that. Guess it served it's purpose. One thing you didn't mention was the covertec. But I've seen where you can get those online. Plus, carabiners work as well.

11. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    If you ask me another hard thing would be the... *Ahem* chest piece because it is made of leather.

12. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Ahh another varient to jedi wear.:) Her clothing looks like club clothes to me.:)

13. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    You should see her 'alternate Sith' outfit on that game... maybe what got me to like her character so well=P~ (just playin [face_whistling]).

14. Prettyjawaprincess

Jan 16, 2006
    I know, heh. Don't they look fun?

15. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Yep they do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.