main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Servants of the Empire #3: Imperial Justice by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 9, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

Read this. Read this right now, it is the best book in the NEU to date. Unless you've not read the other two, then read Edge of the Galaxy and Rebel in the Ranks and then read this.

You can thank me later.

Oh, and a spoiler comment:

Thank you Jason for tearing our hearts out. You evil, evil man :D

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This is probably the best book in the new canon. Yes, better than A New Dawn. It's that good. Don't get fooled by the YA label!

I'm completely in love with this book. I might even do the unthinkable and read it again tomorrow. The book depicts the experience of living under a military dictatorship without resorting to cartoonish violence. It also depicts one of the central themes of the Star Wars saga with style and confidence. We assume Zare and Merei will prevail at the end, but the price they will have to pay might be too much. And I don't think I've ever cared this much about any non-Lucas characters. Honestly.

I eagerly expect (and fear) the next book.

3. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Any reason on why it's so good?

and overly hyped in my opinion..

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Concur with JTS -- especially regarding the dictatorship part. My thinking about this book is that the Empire finally went full fascist, and not in the way you might think. Yes, there are door-to-door inspections and people being questioned for dissent, but that's the easy stuff.

The part that this book really underlines is the ugliness of fascism. What it does to people. What it turns them into. And I don't just mean the collaborators either.

Theme, verisimilitude, and characterization. I've already touched on the politics and that so I'll address characterization. The story plays with expectations and characterization built up over the last few novels pays dividends. Reader is convinced that the story will go a certain way because of expectations, and it doesn't.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Wolffe, it's well-written, it has great characters, it adds a lot of depth to the Rebels part of the universe (Lothal specifically), the plot twists and turns in unpredictable ways, and it doesn't shy away from tackling the tough subjects, like brainwashing, racism, putting down rebel cells, and even child soldiers. The only flaw (and this goes for all three books in this series thus far) is that they're short.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I fully expect Zare and Merei to succeed by the end of the series but since the end of the series isn't here yet its going to get worse for them before it gets better. And I'm certain that JF will throw us a curveball by giving us an ending that we aren't expecting

7. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I really want to give Merei a hug. Poor girl needs it.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...The reactions to this book are almost making me reconsider getting it, because gulp.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  9. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I'd like to say that

I really like that they broke up Zare and Merei. It's definitely realistic that all of this spying and secrecy and fascism would end up destroying their relationship, but that isn't something you see often in a young adult series, or heck, in any series.

(Also it removes like, my only barrier to the idea of Zare/Ezra)

10. Starsaber49

Starsaber49 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 22, 2015
    Since I haven't read the third book yet, and I'm a fan of being spoiled, what exactly went down in this book? I plan to get the book soon, but my curiosity demands knowledge.

11. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Adding to the chorus of "this book is very good and you should go read it."

12. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Picking up on Sunday. Can't wait. first two books were fantastic. I did prefer Edge of the Galaxy, but the quality has remained high throughout.

13. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    This book is great! +1 for "the Servants of the Empire series is the best part of the new canon so far." Zare and Merei continue to be awesome and resourceful and I continue to be worried for them. I am especially worried that one of them is secretly a beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure. I want to reach through the pages and Mama-Bear them. I am still pulling for Merei to become a fantastic renegade slicer leading a team of her own and giving a healthy dose of side-eye and sass to anyone who doubts her.

14. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    New head-canon: Merei is Ghent's mentor.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Got this today and finished it. This series is the best thing in the NEU right now.
    This is tied with the 1st one for the best of the series with 2 just behind them.
    The last book is going to be insane.

Oleg went down! Heck yeah! He isn't done yet in the story is he?
    So worried for Merei and Zare.
    The book was suffocating. Worried that both would be caught at any moment. I could feel the tension. Rebels itself needed more of it.
    Love behind the scenes stuff that lead to the stuff in the Rebels episodes. Wonder how Zeb is going to react when he meets Merei in the next book. It's happening. I know it.
    Can't wait for October or whenever the last book is.

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Enormous thanks for all the kind words.

Once Servants #4 is out I'll explain why I was uneasy/worried about this one -- it will make sense then. Very relieved (to say the least) that people are liking it.

17. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    After I finish Dark Disciple I might pick it up because of all the good words about this series. I also hear much talk about surprises in the books :eek:

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, 4 books in the series? What's the format - individual pieces building as parts of an arc or continuing plot from book to book?

Commander Wolffe likes this.
  19. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    A bit of both. All four tell separate, stand-alone stories, but all of them build on each other and form around a couple of major, ongoing plots.

Commander Wolffe likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, I'll likely wait until #4 is out then grab the lot then!

21. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

Really looking forward to notes on this series!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Not looking forward to it ending though :(

GrimdarkRose and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    When was this book set? Before or after Ezra met him in rebels?

24. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    This one in particular is set before and after the events of Vision of Hope, the second time you see Zare in the show. The first book takes place before you ever see Zare in the show, and the second book is staged around Breaking Ranks.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Seriously, Jason, this is really good ****. I can't say how glad I am you expanded out of reference works and wrote some Star Wars fiction. This is the kind of material what I've always wanted to read, and I'm not usually a gusher. Keep on writing. You are the real thing, dude.