main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Servants of the Empire #3: Imperial Justice by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 9, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope there is something just as good after this.

2. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, Fry is writing The Weapon of a Jedi.

3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Jason, I just finished the book last night and I LOVED it. Every page.

I've said in the past that I'd have a thing or two to say on timeline matters once I'd read the book, but in order to make sure I know exactly what it is I'm talking about BEFORE I start talking, I hope you'll be willing to suffer a couple of quick nitpicker questions...

I know that the majority of the first part of the book takes place in the winter season on Lothal, but when would you say the book ends? I get the impression that the story extends into the spring season, with the epilogue DEFINITELY set in spring, but I'm just not sure yet because I haven't had the time to fully process what I've read and fully study what you've written.

Also, the book seems to end at the point that season one of Rebels ends: we get a mention of events in Call to Action, and because that episode and the subsequent two episodes are clearly set very close to each other, perhaps as close as to within a day of each other, I'm assuming that the book ends roughly about the same time as Fire Across the Galaxy does (except that no mention is made in the book of Vader's presence - but then, no mention was made of Tarkin's presence either and he was clearly on Lothal at the point the book ends). If I REALLY wanna take a wild risk, I'm going to guess that the fourth book in the series is going to be set in the period (I'm guessing a couple of months or more) between Fire Across the Galaxy and The Siege of Lothal (which I'm thinking is set in the mid-to-late summer season on Lothal). Am I far off?

jasonfry likes this.
  4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Yes, but it's not your fault. There's a continuity goof in Imperial Justice.

The book was originally supposed to end after "Call to Action," but then was revised to end shortly after "Vision of Hope," with all references to Ezra's inspirational message scrubbed ... except I missed one. It should end shortly after "Vision of Hope," with Merei referring more vaguely to insurgent activities.

My fault; my apologies.

Note this is from memory -- if there's an earlier broadcast from Rebels that fits the bill and which I've forgotten, that was of course what I meant and this message will self-destruct ... um, NOW.

5. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    No worries on the continuity goof. But apart from that, does the book end in spring, or what? ;)

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Ha, afraid I don't remember. A continent away from my copy; will check when I get back.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  7. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    You just take your time, Jason. I'll be here. :)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's only one more season!

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I really should read this series; the last YA Star Wars series I read was the Clone Wars Secret Missions series with the Chiss Jedi Padawan, and I never even read the 4th one in that series (but that's a topic for another time). I'll probably wait and get all four at the same time, though. But I'm glad these are well-liked! It makes me look forward to Jason's Luke Skywalker Journey to TFA book all the more. :D

jasonfry likes this.
  10. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I got this the day it came out and devoured it that night. I will say that it is probably my least favorite of the three, but that in no way means that it isn't incredible. I love this series so much and wish that these characters were getting much more than a four-book time in the spotlight.

The tension in this one is so well handled.

jasonfry likes this.
  11. Hamawald

Hamawald Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2014
    I read this faster than I've read any other books in a while now. The suspense in this is incredible and it never ends! I'm almost as worried about Zare know as Merei and his mother are... But at least we know he will be getting some kind of help from some people we know. :)

jasonfry likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My copy came today from Amazon UK. However, SW: Dark Disciple was also in the order so that's next on the reading list.

Commander Wolffe likes this.
  13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    This was my favourite in the series so far. I'll admit that I found Zare and Merie's breakup more heart-breaking than another star wars novel romance I've read lately (cough) Ventress/ Vos (Cough). Loved the part when Zare had to knock on doors with oleg and was gad when he got his comeuppance at the end.

Force Smuggler and jasonfry like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It was just as heartbreaking an ending as Anakin and Tahiri's was imo.
    I laughed when Oleg got his comeuppance. My mom must have thought I was crazy.

15. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Excellent read. Fits seamlessly into the show. I love how Oleg saw Zare talking to Ezra. (Hope that doesn't comes back to bit him in the butt)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I loved Zeb's short attempt at contacting Zare though Merei and she says to leave him alone otherwise he might get killed then Zeb responds by saying he has to live with that danger everyday.

17. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    I feel obligated to again bring up the fact that Zare's dad is named Leo Leonis.

GrimdarkRose likes this.
  18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Maybe "Leo" is short for "Leonis." That would be cool.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Leonis is the genitive of Leo, therefore Zare Leonis is literally "Zare, son of Leo."

well, with a suppressed f. of course, brevity being elegance and all that

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

GrimdarkRose likes this.
  20. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    We'd still be looking at the equivalent of Mario Mario.

DelRiego and GrimdarkRose like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't you dare sully that wondrous film!

MercenaryAce likes this.
  22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    You don't think that film sullies ITSELF?! :p

GrimdarkRose likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, it not only manages that, but it manages to sully everyone who watches it too. It is the master of sullying, so your paltry attempts to sully it are the height of presumption! ;)

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  24. DarthRuckus

DarthRuckus Jedi Master star 1

Nov 17, 2013
    Anybody else think Finn's surname might be Leonis?

25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It's one of my pet theories.