main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Servants of the Empire #4: The Secret Academy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 28, 2015.

1. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Oh yeah I forgot about his reference books. I need to rephrase my question: What prose are you working on now?

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He's on the JTTFA NYCC panel literally right now, so we may know soon.

darthzac14 likes this.
  3. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Is there any indication as to when this takes place in relation to Rebels?

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thank you for asking. I'll have two things out 12/18, and am working on three other GFFA projects that I don't believe have been announced, so I better stay quiet about them. (My name's also attached to a couple of books I'm not doing -- publishing databases are not always a reliable guide.) Plus I should have a Jupiter Pirates announcement next week.

Busy! Busy is good!

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Until proven otherwise, I am just going to assume a continuation of Zare and Merei's story!

Mine is a happy delusion :p

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Just finished this last night and I wanna know if this ties into a season 2 episode of rebels?

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's doubtful--Jason said that he was told he could resolve the search for Dhara however he wanted. The book's climax is probably between the end of s1 and Siege of Lothal.

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    That's good because when Ezra and co showed up at the end I thought "How are they going to set this up in an actual episode?" because there'd have been a lot to explain. However having said that the majority of rebels fans probably won't ever read this book and therefore never find out what happened to Zare and his quest to find his sister.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll pound my fists on as many tables as I need to in order to get a "Merei in Rebels" chant going :p

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Merei in Rebels!

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

#Makeithappenfiloni

13. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Merei In Rebels!!!

(Why not!)

14. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I just finished reading The Secret Academy and I love it. It was the best book yet. Both Zare and Merei's storyline is really strong and a lot happens, with a surprise or two thrown in for good measure. My only regret is I wish it had been longer.

I agree that this series does a great job in showing how totalitarian the Empire really is. Not just the more overt methods we see in the Classic Trilogy but the day-to-day evils.

Here's hoping that Merei shows up on day in Rebels and that this isn't the last we've seen from her or Zare. Well done, Jason!

SateleNovelist11 and jasonfry like this.
  15. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense. It's like Sidious is applying the Banite Sith philosophy to all his servants in general. There will be one who embodies power, and the other will crave it and take the place of the former. However, Sidious considers himself inherently superior to everyone. He may not give it way, of course, but that's part of his m.o. The Empire was rife with intrigue and officers backstabbing and replacing others. Therefore, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

jasonfry likes this.
  16. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Just finished.

Wow ! what a read and conclusion. I have been a big fan of this series since it started and really enjoyed the adventures of Zare and Merei, who I pray make an appearance in the show again.

I think this is the 2nd best book in the series. For me the first will always be the better read, simply because I loved the change in Zare from stout imperialist to rebel. It was great to see everyday imperial life unfold and how it infects every corner of the galaxy.

this book was a fitting tribute to everything that had come before it.

I think initially I had guessed that the secret academy had something to do with what we saw in TCW and the "creation" of inquisitors, and whilst not far off, I think I was subconsciously thinking there would be a greater connection to the rebels plot than what there was. But on reflection the story was great and I did shed a tear with the reunion at the end. I re-read Dhara's force move a few times to take in what had happened and the stand off with Chiron. Fantastic. Who knows what torture she endured - there is a story to tell there jasonfry!!

Overall this has been the pinnacle of the NU Canon. that's no disservice to anyone actually as I have found most of the novels to be great anyway - this is testament to an enthralling series. Fab work Jason.

also if I recall Sky accidently showed so newer Rebels shows weeks before release on their on-demand service. There was mention of Zare suggesting that what we saw at the end will be in the show....

17. MikeF

MikeF Jedi Knight

Aug 28, 2013
    I don't think this is truly a spoiler since it refers to the latest trailer (officially-released material...), but just in case...

Finn has a line of dialog ("I was raised to do one thing...") which I wonder if it connects back to the person mentioned in this post and his plans for the future of the Empire.

18. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    That is the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer... We're seeing plans come to fruition. This book should have been labeled with the JTTFA logo (I understand why it wasn't, of course. Just saying that it dangles the hints as well.)

So, Jason... What are the chances that you will be able to revisit any of these characters again? (I don't imagine that you can actually answer that but I had to throw it out there.)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    Is the series worth checking out? Not sure if I should get it or not.

20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    You'll soon discover that everyone here is enamored with that series.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm working my way through it, have done the first 2, reviews / comments are in the respective threads.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Waves hand. 'You will read this series'

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. Go get it right now.

You're welcome.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

Don't know what the future holds for Zare and Merei. Not being coy; genuinely don't know. I have no current projects that would move their story forward and have no info on any other stories that might involve one or both of them, though that doesn't mean there aren't any.

I'd love to write more adventures for them ... but I'd also be thrilled if one or both of them appeared somewhere else. And if neither happens, well, I hope I left them where the reader has at least some sense of resolution and can have fun thinking about what else they might have gotten up to....

As for Secret Academy being a "stealth" JtTFA book, that's an interesting story that can be explored around Christmas.

25. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Ha ! interesting. I was watching the NYCC panel and was hoping someone would ask why the secret academy wasn't part of the JTTFA program based on the appearance of a certain commandant...

The presentation itself was extremely informative and it was interesting how everyone seemingly got on with their respective books and then panicked about it later! I suspect as a writer when dealing with such a big universe that is probably the best way to go.

it's a shame Mr Wendig has received such a hard time for Aftermath, which I consider to be good fun read and certainly not deserving of the trolls.