main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Oct 22, 2014.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

Okay, Jello is useless so here we are. Came out yesterday, four-part series, Zare Leonis, yada yada. Here's the important part:

[​IMG]

You can't keep a good drink down, baby!

2. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Attention we have hot chocolate! Repeat, hot chocolate was spotted.

What's a duck?

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Not only do we have hot chocolate, but we also have:

Stang
    Kriffing
    More caf
    More female stormtroopers

And the invention of a new sport called grav-ball, which is football/soccer/basketball/Quidditch.

Edit: I guess I should add that I'm up to Spring and the book is pretty good.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was going to make the thread! :p I'll sticky it when I can.

Also making a comeback: Hosk Station. Along with a bunch of planets too -- but we wouldn't expect anything less.

Once I finish the book, I have some thoughts prepared on how this book is actually a magnificent encomium of the Empire and how everything that young Leonis thinks is happening can be explained away. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If hot chocolate is back, I would love for Mara Jade to sneak in an appearance.

JediMara77 likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, "Firmus Rennet." There's a guy named after cheese.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    What's his job?

8. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Cutting it, of course.

Gorefiend, cdgodin, DelRiego and 4 others like this.
  9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    This is a terrific book. Don't anyone here be fooled into thinking this is a kid's reader like some of the other Rebels tie-in stuff has been, this is a wholly original story that's grounded, mature and with a lot of character to it. It's relatively short, but it's also not a hardcover and it's a very breezy read overall. The synopsis basically gives you the overview of the plot, but the best part of the book is the characters and seeing what its like for kids of different ages, skill levels and social strata grow up on an Imperial planet.

Also, there's grav-ball. Lots and lots of grav-ball.

Cevan, Gorefiend, cdgodin and 4 others like this.
  10. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    It should also be mentioned that the xenophobic Empire is alive and well.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd dispute that assertion. ;) One guy does not a whole Empire make. Unless it's a guy named Sheev.

On that point, what sticks out for me is how mature and nuanced the idea of questioning authority, revolution, family, and everything that goes along with it was handled. It's not a black and white portrait at all, and it's not childish at all. Politicization of youth is totally a thing these days, but viewpoints are always stark: so it's good to see a book which looks at these things with a measured hand. *Especially* if it's a youth audience reading this, because they can take what they see in this book and really think about it.

At the end of the day, we know which way things are going to go re: resisting the Empire. But real life is a lot more complex, and this book handled it in an appropriately complex way. Real life is complicated and there are multiple aspects to what seem like simple issues. And big decisions have big ramifications. It's pretty well thought out.

In fact, I may have an article's worth of thoughts on it in the near future.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It was bound to happen eventually.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Fry is good at not talking down to the reader - it's very much like Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy in that respect.

jasonfry likes this.
  14. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

I'm shocked you think so. :p But I must disagree, as the person was supposedly espousing said views due to other people's views and opinions.

The rest of your post is right on point, though. It was a very nuanced portrayal of political dissent.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I took that as a cover for his racism, especially considering his friends comment you mentioned earlier, as well as his strange reactions every time an alien was brought up.

Moreover, the opposing team *did* have aliens on it and nobody cared.

The kid's parents, who have traveled all over the gakaxy, also think the director's behavior is strange. They say that he's a small-minded Rimmer. This suggests that anti-alienism may not be as common in the Core.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Geo-classism is just as bad!

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, it's quite lovely in fact. I was very pleased at the cultured and civilized Core World accents exhibited in the book, as well as their attitude towards the more barbaric Rimkin. Like I've always said, it's those Rimmers who give the Empire a bad name. Glad the NEU is backing me up. :p

The whole colonial discussion was interesting too, esp as our viewpoint character is not a native (nor a Core Worlder) and has to square his perspective with those of the locals. His sympathy is with them, but he's an outsider.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Rimbillies vs. Corepsters :D

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

Please. Coristocrats. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
  22. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    That is most decidedly not the same sport, lol.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    *shakes fist* Story Groooouuup!!

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah there are no real-life examples that I can think of featuring two completely different sports played in different regions sharing a name. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    That's....that's a little odd.

It has always been before that the Core was overwhelming human and thus the source of most of the racism, while the Rim had a largely alien population and was generally where people mixed together more freely.

I mean, just compare any of the scenes on Tatooine with any of the Imperial and Rebel shots. (Though, admittedly, the PT had a lot of aliens on Coursicant)

Abadacus likes this.