main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Oct 22, 2014.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I think the idea is just that some more isolated places tend to be more homogenous. There's a lot of travel into and out of the Core -- even Corulag (the Imperial's Imperial world) was described in WEG as being cosmopolitan. Compare New York City or Paris to, say, some place in Idaho that I've never even heard of (all of it). :p

There are certainly Hutts and Gran and Dug and all that all over the Rim too, but people who live in these out of the way human cultural enclaves (possibly settled aaaages ago and sort of staying that way) would probably go through a lot of culture shock if they ever visited Coruscant.

I have no idea what's happening with the old EU notion of humanity coming from the Core or whatnot, nor what role human political dominance in the Core has to do with Imperial anti-alien stuff (which is probably still a thing if Assault Team is canon, since it has a level in the APZ on Coruscant).

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Those are very good points.

Plus, thinking about it, Coruscant is the capital because it is the hub of so many hyperspace routes, and so lends itself to diversity. And that Tattooine is something a trade hub itself...and most of the aliens are at the space port while the moisture farmers are human, and Luke actually seemed somewhat taken back by the cantina crowd.

And even as far back as Marvel there were as many isolated, overwhelming human settlements as mixed alien ones

3. Calintz_Neos

Calintz_Neos Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2014
    There's also the fact that Mas Amedda is now Grand Vizier.

4. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014
    I started reading this last night. It has a very Harry Potter in Star Wars type feel, with the school setting and emphasis on a made-up sport. But I love the Harry Potter books, so that's just all the more comforting to me.

I only knocked off 20-some pages before bed though, so that could wildly change by the end.

Ventrix likes this.
  5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It pretty much stays the same way throughout the entire book, which isn't a bad thing.

6. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    This sounds appealing. I love it when the government sucks :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    While in urban environments in real life, it's the exact opposite by virtue of close proximity. Maybe the new canon decided to follow logic in population patterns.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well that's... Good, to be fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Z95_Headhunter

Z95_Headhunter Jedi Knight

Jul 26, 2014
    Overall I'm enjoying this so far. Always had a soft spot for the YA novels over the years, and Ezra's Gamble was a great start. Servants of the Empire has really great and believable characterization (Jason Fry is so talented). I'm only 74 pages in or so. While the characters are very interesting, I think its a little heavy on the grav-ball scenes. I liked the first big game at the beginning of the story, but it just keeps coming back. I would have loved to have some kind of small insert in the book, showing a diagram of the field, and the rules. I did read the grav-ball article on the official site, but it would have been a lot better to have it in the book (not blaming Fry for any of this, adding something like that into the book is probably not his call).

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I had reservations about the grav-ball at first, but 3/5 in I'm pretty pleased with how he's been able to make every game scene contribute to the larger story.

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  11. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Yeah, same here. Also, the grav-ball pretty much disappears at the end of the book.

12. Joe Kalicki

Sep 2, 2014
    I never realized that a high school athletic director could be as hated an evil a character as the Emperor himself.

13. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    He's the Umbridge of Star Wars!

Ventrix and Joe Kalicki like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You should have met my track coach.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My best friend in high school had a heart condition and couldn't do, well, anything in P.E., but was still required to take it because its crucial 'book-learning' element. The coach made him change into gym clothes anyways, and seemed always profoundly annoyed that he couldn't make him run, or something.
    Ah, grade school coaches.

Random Comments likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh yeah, right, the "academic" component PE was required to have. I did sports in HS, but I remember that in middle school. We actually had a final exam. Like, a written one.

Such a joke.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Random Comments likes this.
  17. Joe Kalicki

Sep 2, 2014

That's the annoying thing about being a kid, thinking people like that have power over you. If I was in school I'd do whatever stupid thing I was told. Now as an adult I'd just say "No, sorry, that's not going to happen."

Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Explain.

19. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012

20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I finished up Edge of the Galaxy last weekend and really enjoyed it. Fun story with some old school EU goodness.

Zare was an interesting character. I liked his evolution and want to see where it goes throughout the rest of this series.

Grav-ball was a fun way to explore life on Lothal and in the early-ish Empire. The game is way different than how it was presented in the X-Wing comics, but I thought of it sort of like football. There's a huge difference between association football, American football, Aussie rules football, and rugby, but they all have the same roots. I like how grav-ball was interwoven in the plot but didn't dominate it.

Like I said, I'm looking forward to Rebel in the Ranks and am happy to support the Jason Fry Beer & Mortgage Fund. I also need to read the excerpt from Curse of the Iris. I think that might get priority over Tarkin tonight...

Iron_lord, Gorefiend and jasonfry like this.
  21. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    That needs to be a show

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Finally found this book. 70ish pages in so far. Very good read so far. Best part has to be when Zare and Dhara are talking over the comm and are talking about Merei and Zare says they are Lab partners and Dhara said they had chemistry. Maybe not that funny but it was to me. Can't wait to see where this series goes.

23. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    As my first star wars Junior novel, I went into this book with a degree of scepticism. the last time I had a read a book targeted at this age range were my beloved Goosebumps books.

but as many have said, you know what it was a good entertaining read. there were harry potter traits for sure, but that's not a bad thing at all, and you did feel sorry for Zare against the evil coach.

I didn't actually know that Zare was going to be in rebels, so his appearance recently in Rebels make me look forward to the sequel more. but definatly a solid start for the new EU even at the non-adult level.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished it today. Good read. Can't wait for book 2.
    That Athletic Director is a petty racist butt trumpet but Umbridge-like? No.
    Would love to see Merei, Ames Bunkle, Beck Ollet again as characters. Maybe as characters in a Zare arc on Rebels.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So I noticed a small mention of the Empire mining for crystals in Lothal. Looks like that theory I read here (I don't remember who posted it, sorry) about the Empire looking for kyber crystals in Lothal, probably for the Death Star, gains some more weight...