main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Oct 22, 2014.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

YUP. :_|

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Delivery person brought an Amazon UK order this morning containing this amongst other books. (Jason got to share a box with HP Lovecraft). Hopefully I'll have time to take a look this week.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    That's good company. Coincidentally, I just read The Great God Pan, which was a big influence on Lovecraft. Interesting book -- it's one of those books that doesn't impress you until you realize it was the original idea that many writers took and ran with, and without which lots of great stories wouldn't have been written.

Gorefiend and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't think I've read that.

5. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    [​IMG]
    Rebel in the Ranks cover has shown up. Well, if I coded that URL correctly. (Probably not.) Comes out in March. Bit more about the book in this post to Dorkery.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Fixed the image link!

Interesting cover and description -- it'll be interesting to see what Leonis thinks of hot shot Ezra :p

Also very curious what Merei was doing in the mean time, so I'll definitely pick this one up (as if there were any doubt lol)

CooperTFN and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think that only Chambers' The King in Yellow rivals it for influence on modern horror from stories of that period.

jasonfry likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Like the cover!

9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks Jello. If you have time, PM me and tell me what I did wrong? Baffled.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I took a look at the original post and Jello's edit for you, Jason. Your original link was http://jasonfry.tumblr.com/image/105692523871 . However, I think the boards didn't like that due to the 'wrapper' with the Tumblr, facebook, etc information. If you right click on the image there and copy the image location over to a new tab, you get the actual image: http://36.media.tumblr.com/d0c282524cb4dc0d65f140d0ce334765/tumblr_ngw0q09OKD1qzwodio1_1280.jpg.

I've seen other users have similar issues with images.

11. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    it took me a while but I have finally read it!

Surprising it was a really good read! Maybe the whole gravball paragraphs were a bit boring for me, but other than that, nice set up for Zare in Rebels.

Starting part 2 today:D

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This was an excellent and surprisingly intelligent read given its target audience.

What really makes it work is the subtlety and all the little things:

Little bits of corruption.
    Little acts of destruction.
    Little harms.
    Little deaths.

It all slowly adds up to a disturbing picture. One of the most effective sequences is the arc for Ames, who becomes DX-578, a soulless stormtrooper, who is seen at the end arresting Beck, as Zare looks on.

At the same time the book strikes a neat contrast between the idealised Empire Zare's parents believe in and the reality, represented by Flurek, a petty, corrupt and xenophobic official.

All in all, a hell of a start.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Told ya. :D

edit: Though I feel compelled to point out that Fhurek is just a flunky school official and can't possibly taken to represent the Imperial government :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh yes, your report was most excellent and indeed accurate.

Thing is, without watching Rebels S1, I wouldn't have reason to be interested in Zare, but I have so I am. The right order definitely matters on this one.

15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just about finished with this first book. To tell you the truth it's been a little difficult to make it through book one. Book 1 revolves around the game that is obviously a different take on football. My brother is a highschool football coach and I pay a good amount of attention to and generally know how these school teams are run and every time they talked about the game they were playing in the book I just kept on thinking how unrealistic the whole thing was.

Kids are never given as much say as the kids in the book were and if they ever were to have anywhere near the amount of say that they were given in the book you'd be asking for a team that wouldn't win a single game. No matter how talented the player was. I feel that if the book was going to revolve so much around the team and the season they were playing I feel like it should have been a little more true to how real sports teams are run.

That's really the only gripe I have but since the book revolved so much around the team and the season they were playing it became a pretty big gripe.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The sports stuff never comes back much after Bk 1, keep going Jammin, you won't regret it.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Good deal. Glad to hear that. Again it wouldn't have been that big of a deal but the fact that so much of the book revolved around that team turned it into a bit of an issue for me.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I found it boring as anything too.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know the first thing about high school sports (despite somehow being on a varsity team), but given that this was a school that was a potential academy feeder, perhaps a little more room initiative was intentional? I have no idea.

I do think that the zone ball plot is important. I'm not that into sports, but it was part of Zare's character arc. It's how he met Merei, it's how he learned leadership and teamwork, it's how he first clashed with authority figures, etc.

That makes it interesting even if you're not into sports, IMO. It's all character moments.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Cynical_Ben and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I didn't know they had varsity wine-tasting teams.

Iron_lord and Vthuil like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I was acclaimed emperor of my high school and I established an imperial court by naming members of my retinue to the nobility -- the highest ranking members of said court all tended to be my teammates.

I guess all that stuff about the bonds of sports were true! :p

22. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    This is my periodic note that I would LOVE a collected edition of these books. Even all together, it would make a smaller volume than Lost Stars.

ifleninwasawizard and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, but then they only get the cash for 1 purchase!

24. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I recently reread this and I actually enjoy the sports sections. In Star Wars we are generally following people who are at elite at something. Zare was born to be a leader. The sports sections show how truly exceptional he is at that.

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

True however it was taken a wee bit too far. Basically running and calling the game......very few guys in the nfl are even allowed to do that. Let alone fourteen year olds.

Anyways I'm glad I am finished with that part. The last several chapters were better once all that Star Wars version of highschool football was over with.