main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Server Move and Forum Outage

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jun 5, 2017.

1. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah I'm still messing with search, so ignore any of those errors for now. Our Xen is so old I had to go back to a REALLY old version of Elasticsearch and even that's not working quite right.

2. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    This is good...keep 'em coming!

EHT likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ouch on Elasticsearch..

4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I wrote a test post to the US politics thread in Community which is over 1200 pages long, and it took between 3 and 4 minutes. The tab I posted from gave a timeout error message, but the post showed up in a parallel tab after 4 minutes while the original tab was still going. Removing the post took about 5 seconds.

5. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    This was recently??

6. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Yes, right now. I wrote that post almost as it was happening.

Also, is it possible that updating Xenforo might nip some of the problems we're having in the bud? Perhaps we should update first and troubleshoot later? What do you think? Because from your posts it seems like something we should do regardless.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I just now got a similar result to VVM above. Posted in the SW Word Associations thread in SW Community. Thread is 1312 pages long. Got a server timeout message on that page but I had the forum up in a separate tab and I could see it had posted.

8. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    If that was an option, I'd have done it 2 weeks ago. This is what happens when you run a forum with a ton of customizations, upgrades are not trivial anymore. Grimby has been working on it for a long time but without proper planning we might as well just wipe it blank and start over with a fresh copy of Xenforo and no posts because that's about what we'd end up with.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  9. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
  10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Grahame - what about a clean copy of Xenforo and importing the data from here? Would that work? I assume when you go to Xenforo from VBulletin on Rebelscum you'll have to do the same.

11. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Well we wouldn't do that, we'd just disable all add-ons and upgrade but then a bunch of your features wouldn't work and you wouldn't be happy :)

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    True. I think Grimby has been stuck on getting the admin note functionality to work for the upgraded software and we'd hate to lose that.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

See the joke is because of the double posts.

Juliet316 , Sarge and pronker like this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Anakin.Skywalker posted this over in the SW Community Cloud City Cantina on seeing the disappearance of the Search Box and I had to share:

Dear Server,

We come today to honor our Search Box.

We are gathered here today - not only to grieve the loss of Search Box but to also give thanks to you for his impossibly short life among us.

We are gathered here today - not only to mourn over how search-less our lives will be without him, but to give thanks to you for how full life was when he was with us.

We have gathered here today - not only to consider the shortness and uncertainty of life on earth, but to give thanks to you for the gift of life and the gift of family and the gift of friendships and the gift of search boxes.

Server, we ask that you would comfort us this day as we come together to share love and sweet memories with one another and the search box.

In Tech Admins' names we pray,
    May the Force be with us

(I posted there with a quote and the post went right in. Thread is 526 pages long).

15. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    That's great - shame search is currently disabled ;) Won't be too long though, hopefully. Having it enabled was messing up the index rebuilds.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  16. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I don't know if you still want performance updates, but my latest post in this thread took just about a minute right now. The thread is 228 pages of nothing but YouTube embeds.

17. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Let's hold off until the search index is rebuilt as I'm not sure we're getting accurate results. It's about half way done

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If it finishes without problems I can try a few long threads in the morning when I'm back online.

19. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I can't edit my posts.

can only do so with more options.

20. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    That's most likely a browser/cookie issue, nothing I can do about that server side. Editing works fine for me (and most others).

21. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    If you're using Firefox that's been a chronic issue for longer than I've been registered here.

22. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    testing with my sock.

edit: works fine with martyavidianus but no cigar with DARTH_MU. Strange.

23. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    oh well, I still have this work around. (press more options.).

edit: apparently you need to disable rich editor in preferences.

24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Congratulations on accessing your primary login!

DARTH_MU likes this.
  25. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Yay! Search Box is back!

Thanks!!!

Juliet316 likes this.