Server Move and Forum Outage

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz, Jun 5, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    @DarthIshyZ - you can get a limited list of posts by using the 'Recent Activity' tab instead..
  2. DarthIshyZ Force Ghost

star 6
    I figured that out. Just wanted to make sure you guys had it on your punch list. Thanks, though!
    LAJ_FETT likes this.
  3. Ghost Chosen One

star 7
    This issue is still happening...
  4. Jedi Knight Fett Force Ghost

star 7
    Maybe the search function is cursed?
  5. jcgoble3 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    @Grahame clearly said that the search issue cannot be fixed until XenForo is upgraded. And work on that upgrade has been in progress for over four years and may or may not ever reach the point of actually performing the upgrade. So live with it.

On the other hand, I'm noticing today that the issue with slow server responses is back. Specifically, submitting a post takes several minutes to respond, or sometimes it displays a timeout error. However, the post does appear after a minute or two if you reopen the page in a new tab to check for it.
  6. Ghost Chosen One

star 7
    That's what @Jedi Knight Fett was talking about, and what I was talking about. He commented jokingly that it's because the Search function is back.
    pronker and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. jcgoble3 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Then may I suggest being a bit more specific in future posts? You just said "This issue is still happening", without specifying which issue. Since multiple issues have been discussed in this thread, I assumed you meant the one most recently discussed, which was the search problems. Sorry about that.
  8. Ghost Chosen One

star 7
    Well it's the thread title, and after a long break in posting, and people keep complaining about it on other subforums, so I thought it was clear.
  9. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
    I went about my business of looking over other web pages for the past 15 minutes. I have been trying to post a vid in the what song are you listening to thread and it won't go through. Two pop up windows of the server. I'm not sure this post will go.
  10. Darth Punk Force Ghost

star 6
    Add more hamsters to the server please
    tom, jcgoble3 and EHT like this.
  11. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    So, I remember reading that this version of Xenforo is woefully out of date. So why not update it? The issues seem to be getting progressively worse.
    Last edited by Darth Guy, Sep 22, 2017
  12. jcgoble3 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    They've been working on the update. Allegedly. For four years now. I put the over/under at 10 years.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett Force Ghost

star 7
    They work on Valve Time....:p

it's probably all very complicated so I'll be patient.
  14. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 10
    Far be it for me to suggest people with responsibilities over the technical support and administration of this forum do something to fix the technical **** ups occurring with periodic regularity. How outlandish and novel.

Can you please just admit you're hoping we'll get used to this third rate system; you couldn't fix it if you wanted to because you don't know how, and how it'd be a massive help to you if we just learned to live with quadruple posts and timeout errors?

It's a world better than the alternative of "we're fixing it but it's hard to update code when you're sitting on your hands"?
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Knight

star 4
    It has got really bad. I wait 2 minutes sometimes for pages to load, and Ive sat and watched the black loading box waiting for my post to appear for over 5 minutes in large threads. I know you don't have to wait for it to appear but still, not everybody does and they spam the post button instead and end up triple posting. Maybe the search could be turned off again? It's pretty useless and also maybe that would bring back the ability to see our non recent posting history.

Couldn't even post this a minute ago because the whole forum was down.

Edit: And took 45 seconds to appear as posted.
    Last edited by Blackhole E Snoke, Oct 20, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.