main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Server Timeouts on Large Threads

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Silmarillion, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I'm getting a server timeout message on the Get in Line thread in the Episode 3 forum.

I was just wondering:
    a) if it's just me?
    b) does it just happen at certain times?
    c) can it be fixed?

Cheers.

Here's the server timeout message: "Error: Timeout expired Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server [SnowBoards.DBHelper] RunSPReturnRS(sp_message_add, ...) | boards.theforce.net [HNSC4AWEB7 version 2.3.48] [SnowBoards.Message] MessageAdd(6000, 10331, 5094428, 232811, , False...) | boards.theforce.net [HNSC4AWEB7 version 2.3.48]"

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Happens a lot. It's not just large threads, it seems to be any random thread. By tomorrow, the problem should be gone, in my experience.

3. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    There is...not so much a glitch as a period of turnover in the board's system when it moves to a new day. During this period, threads tend to have source or timeout errors, PMs randomly show up and refuse to go away (the complaint of having 1 new message and no message there), PMs won't be sent, new posts don't up old, large threads - it takes place about 45 minutes -> 1 hr. before JC midnight and then disappears until the next night.

4. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Yes, it seems to be happening almost regularly at the moment.

If people can remember and want to, could you just drop me a PM soon after you get these messages, also listing the thread you get it in. I'm currently trying to talk to some of the guys at IGN about a few board issues, and so having some information rather than just general statements would be good. :)

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "I'm currently trying to talk to some of the guys at IGN about a few board issues"

You are? Don't forget to mention the other problem of large thread: New Page Errors - you know, the thing where a post disappears for no reason, but gets counted and from that moment on new pages show up one post too early

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    <looks shocked>

Problems with large threads?

<innocent.gif>

In any case, a lot of problems happen during the board turnover period. As for the page end error, it may or may not have something to do with deleting posts from the thread.

7. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    to what farraday said: in our (pretty large) social thread in FF I once posted and the post simply never showed up. I can give you the link to that non-existing post. JC simply... ignored it... swallowed it... dunno. No post was deleted (that's for sure!), only this one vanished. from then on (in this particular thread, that it) the NewPageError occured.

8. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Kadue, I kept getting a server time-out message on the SOS thread in lit, this morning, right before my latest post there if that helps you. It took me three tries before I got the thread.

9. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I've noticed that sometimes if your post is the very last post to fit on a page, it will seem to have disappeared even though people following the post have obviously seen it. Often if I refresh the post will show up...but sometimes even after it appears it'll re-disappear at a later time.

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Happens in the WWF thread all the time :D

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yeah, I've had that happen to me as well. The specific problem Maulfly is referring to seems to occur only when a thread has had posts deleted from it.

12. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    maulfly: last posts on threads with more than one page don't show up if the used link ends with "&start=123456". page 2 (and 3 and 4 and ... and 532 ... and....) are displayed with the threads initial post at the top. if post 123456 is that page's last post, it won't show up, because the opening post is counted as a post and there are only 25 (or 50) posts displayed by the JC, thus 'swallowing' that page's real last post.
    if you hit the 'refresh'-link (which says "&page=3", the real page with all real posts shows up
    that's why I almost always reply in a new window

concerning the new page error
    if it is certain, that ONE post is missing in a thread... would deleting 24 other posts undo that error?
    or would we simpy get a new page 25 posts before it exists, instead of one post early?

13. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    TwiLekJedi: It might be worth a try... the page numbers wouldn't be correct anymore, but is that important? I'll delete some posts in the "HomeBase" to see what happens, if you want me to. ;)

14. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    hmmmmm.....
    can't you guys make a thread and spam it to death in one of your private testing forums, wait till a post get 'swallowed' and try deleting 24 other posts out there, to see what happens?
    I'd hate to be on page 722 but the forum shows up 723 and 724 already

apart from that, I seem almost the only one who really cares anymore, so.... do something more useful ;)

15. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    In my experience, the only thread where this is a problem is the 3SA social thread. The same thing happened when it was the AotC social thread. Part of the pride is the number of posts in the thread. So a cap isn't an option. The worse things I see happening are it gets hung up on posts that are multiples of 25. Usually I go into page one and type the second to the last page number in the URL. I go into Post Reply and it kicks the page over.

16. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    "the only thread where this is a problem is the 3SA social thread"

and the German Speaking FanForce HomeBase ;)

"it gets hung up on posts that are multiples of 25"

I don't get that one ?[face_plain]

17. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    The default page setting is 25 posts per page.

Most smrt people change it to 50.

Wohoo! smrt!

18. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    farraday, the only thing that changes, is that one gets the NewPageError only half of the time the 25ppp-people get it

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Exactly.

20. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    wow, that really helps a lot.... ?[face_plain]

21. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    There is no way at the present time for a member to fix the problem and considering how long problems of this type have been happening there is little chance for an immediate solution from IGN.

So the only thing you can do is minimize it as much as possible by changing your setting to 50 posts per page.

22. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    i see the logic, but I can't follow it ;)
    that comes down to tastes

"We have 700 pages!!1 w00t!1!" is better than "We have 350 pages. w00t...."
    ;)

anyways, back on topic. Kadue: kick IGN in their behinds to fix all the bugs that are known....

23. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Ahhh you're compensating... got it ;)

See what you can Kadue but I'm not going to hold my breath.

24. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Kadue walks along a beach and finds a bottle. He rubs it and a ghost appears. "Thanks for freeing me", says the ghost. "You may wish something"
    Kadue takes out a map where every conflict and war on the world is shown on. "I wish all those struggles are settled."
    The ghost looks at the map and says "Oh, that is far too much for a simple genie-in-the-bottle. Wish something else."
    Then Kadue takes out a list of the known bugs and errors of the JC. "Fix those", he says.
    The ghost looks at the list, ponders for a moment and then says: "Hmm, show me the map again..."

And IGN is far less capable than a genie(sp) in the bottle.... *sigh*

25. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    heh, good one TwiLekJedi.

I've been doing a little searching at IGN, and it seems that they do know about quite a few of the problems, because they're getting them as well. So, supposedly the problem is being looked at, and hopefully a fix can be found, but we'll just have to live with it for a while longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.