main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Serving the Empire with the Light Side

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Daneira, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's almost as if Empires are....Inherity bad.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Well, I for one think the Empire (In a meta sense) should have been killed off if it were to stay the same. As I tried to point out the EU showed the Empire getting a whole lot better. But hey, screw redemption!

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The Empire WAS redeemed...by becoming the New Republic.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Alderaanian democracy thing definitely seems a pure EU invention. The radio drama gives no hint of it, for example — and we’ve always assumed those were closer to Lucas’s ideas.

But yeah, canon is clear. Alderaan is a hereditary monarchy and quite possibly one passed down in the female line, at that.

It’s an Arthurian thing though. Even the Old Republic, in the ANH prologue, has this golden age vibe that seemed part of an idealized past. The noble senators and royals of Lucas are in the same vein — fantasy archetypes of the good and just.

SW isn’t an ode to monarchy, it’s just a fantasy about good and evil. And kings, queens, princesses, and princes just fit that classic mold.

Trias has a very good point that the idealized Fel Empire fits that model exactly too.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Ulicus , Gamiel, jSarek and 3 others like this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Wasn’t there an Alderaanian senate or assembly shown in TCW? It’s been ages, I can’t remember the context.

—Adm. Nick

6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I don't think so.....Sure your not confusing that with the Sepratist Parliament.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    We should also know that Bail Organa is Viceroy of Alderaan, which seems to be its ruler. I wouldn't be surprised if that's an elected position.

Bloodlines in canon establishes that Leia IS a monarch, but that royalty is entirely figurehead based with no actual power.

That doesn't apply to Legends.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    [Deleted]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  9. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    That's a pretty good summary of what I was getting at.

10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Man how did I miss this thread.

My unabiding love for the Imperial Knights is no secret around these here parts, and I think part of what I love about them is the acknowledgement that giving a Jedi the throne of an Empire is a little like giving Galadriel the One Ring to hold onto for a bit.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It didn't work out for either Roan or Marasiah Fel by the way she was cracking in Ania Solo's story.

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Well, it was also interesting in that while the original trilogy had a fall of the Republic theme which conjures up republican Rome giving way to the imperial era, Legacy kinda conjured up the Eastern Empire. Emperor Fel is the representation of will of the Force and his knights are his Varangian guard.

Of course the modern twist was Fel's fall and the hiding of the fact that he became a dark sider at the end.

Gamiel and MrDarth0 like this.
  13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Oh for sure. It's as if the concept of a Jedi Emperor worked during relative peacetime but the minute stress was introduced and the position was really tested it fell apart.

14. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    one could say it Fel apart :p
    I'll see myself out

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Gamiel and Jedi Princess like this.
  15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is the game that gives you "light side points" for having manners or thinking tactically in social situations. So "Light Sith" don't really mean anything morally speaking

"Vimes had heard that good and evil were just two ways of looking at the same thing - or, at least, so said people traditionally considered under the category of "evil"."
    - The Fifth Elephant, Terry Pratchett

[​IMG]

I don't remember one but just because Alderaan is a hereditary monarchy with a ruling monarch don't mean that there is not some kind of constitution and/or diet with some power.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The old republic was very much aristocratic in its character, not necessarily in a bad way or good way-just the culture we see of the senators and elites seems to me to very aristocratic in the sense of mannerisms, attitudes, etc...

The Felpire combines that with the light side imperial Knights. And I imagine most imperial Knights would say they serve the light side-as represented by the emperor(or empress).

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The Imperial Knights seemed to see Fel sort of like a Pope - it's the will of the Force that he's Emperor, and the Force will work its will through him.

MrDarth0 and Daneira like this.
  19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The problem is that the Grand Moffs are only using the Fels as a Bread and Circuses thing.

Voltron64 and BobaMatt like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That would be more believable if they chose him from their own ranks (supposedly guided by the Force) instead of being something hereditary

Voltron64 likes this.
  21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Divine right of kings, my dude. I don't believe in it, of course, but plenty of people seem to have throughout history.
    That seems to be the case once they've decided to back the Sith, but before that I imagine the Fels were necessarily more powerful, since the Empire functioned at all.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Voltron64 and Daneira like this.
  22. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Yeah. Honestly, calling them Light Side and Dark Side points was a mistake. Would have been better to just call it something else, because a lot of people conflate game mechanic LS/DS with in-universe LS/DS, even though it should be obvious to anyone sane that a polite Sith who doesn't fly off the handle constantly is no less a darksider for it, even if the game mechanics say they've got tons of LS points. Also it would make more sense for the non-Force sensitive classes

Light Side Sith in SWTOR generally just means Lawful Evil rather than Chaotic Evil, or Capable-Of-Thinking-Long-Term Evil rather than Impulsive Evil.

Looking at some of the choices presented for Light vs Dark points in the game, you could argue that even Palpatine might be a 'LS Sith' by SWTOR standards. Which should make it pretty clear it's purely a game mechanics term and should be treated as such.

theraphos, Gamiel and Jedi Princess like this.