main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sesame Street to introduce HIV+ Muppet

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by MadMardigan, Jul 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    I said this in the other thread at YJCC, but why not teach more about the safety issues? Like not touching needles, just like checking before you cross the street?

Also, I don't really see the point for South Africa. A great number of the children with HIV are sex workers, who live like that to get food. I doubt they interact with children whose family's have enough money for televisions.

2. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    The other aspect to this is... If you don't want your kid watching some muppet talk about HIV, or anything else you think your kids shouldn't hear, change the channel.

Problem solved.

3. jiabaoyu

jiabaoyu Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2000
    Also, I don't really see the point for South Africa. A great number of the children with HIV are sex workers, who live like that to get food. I doubt they interact with children whose family's have enough money for televisions

I don't think the HIV muppet is just for children who has AIDS, it's for children who are affected by the AIDS phenomenon. Just like a children's show on Sept. 11th isn't just for children who were directed affected by it (loss of a parent or friend etc), it is also to inform and help young children deal wih the effects of it on their country.

4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Elmo:Ha Ha that tickles!!! Oh NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    You know, in LA we have some problems with drive by shootings. I think we need a drive by muppet. Only then will the children understand.

6. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Suicide-bomber muppet.

(Well, the show is supposedly set in New York, isn't it?)

[face_mischief]

Hey, now they don't have to explain that Gordon died... they can just pretend the terrorist muppet blew his apartment up.

P.S.: Yes, I know I'm going to hell... actually, I'm on the layaway plan... I'm amortizing it over the next 30 years.

7. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    You know, in the south there are still problems with racism and the KKK. I think a hooded muppet needs to be introduced there to help the Children understand racism.

He could show up and every once in awhile and burn a cross. Of course this muppet would HAVE to be yellow [face_plain]

8. Patriot_Wookiee

Patriot_Wookiee Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    The biggest problem I have with an HIV+ muppet on Sesame Street is that he had to have been infected somehow. There are very few aids victims still alive who were infected from blood transfusions. This means the muppet would could be gay, or a herion addict or something. The fact that the Muppet has HIV would raise issues that should not be part of a 5 year old's life. Another problem is that kids may not understand the issue of the disease, because not all kids that young understand death

What's really rediculous about that thing is that it's just more of the mainstream media's politically correct BS.

9. jiabaoyu

Sep 29, 2000
    The biggest problem I have with an HIV+ muppet on Sesame Street is that he had to have been infected somehow. There are very few aids victims still alive who were infected from blood transfusions.

Since I am assuming you are referring to South Africa (where the HIV muppet will be shown), I will give you a couple of links to the AIDS epidemics there.

From here:

South Africa's HIV epidemic is among the world's largest. The number of AIDS victims has increased 30-fold since 1990. Ten percent of South Africa's 43 million people are infected with the AIDS virus. A United Nations study estimates that more than 6 million will be infected by 2005.

From here, an article about AIDS in Africa:

Current statistics state that over 11 million have died--almost 3 million of them were children.

AIDS is no longer a 'queer' disease, nor a disease reserved only for heroin addicts. Unlike people, it does not stigmatize certain groups of people. It is a blood bourne disease which kills indiscriminately. And in South Africa---in fact all of sub-Sahara Africa---it has killed many, many adults and children, leaving many more children orphans. And the lack of health care means that many women are transmitting AIDS to their newborns as well....

And here , it says

There will be about 50 to 75 million cases of human immuno-deficiency virus (HIV) in India, China, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Russia by the year 2010

Now, I don't know about the other countries, but the majority of Chinese AIDS victims are not drug users or gay people, they are farmers. The BBC did an article on it here. Most Chinese people did get AIDS through blood transfusions, and now, whole villages are dying.

From the above link:
    So far, the AIDS epidemic has left behind 13.2 million orphans--children 15 years old or younger who have lost one or both parents to the disease. AIDS orphans are expected to number 44 million by 2010.

Now the children who have the opportunity to watch tv might or might not be directly be affected by this disease, but the fact that a significantly large percentage of their fellow citizens are infected means that children are not going to be bewildered by the sudden appeareance of the HIV muppet.

Another problem is that kids may not understand the issue of the disease, because not all kids that young understand death

If you are living in a country where ten percent of the people have an incurable disease, I don't think children will have a hard time understanding death, but they might be scared hearing about the people they see dying around them from AIDS.

What's really rediculous about that thing is that it's just more of the mainstream media's politically correct BS.

I don't believe political correctness has reached African media...but I could be wrong on this count.

10. Patriot_Wookiee

Patriot_Wookiee Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    My mistake. I didn't realize that it was for the South African Sesame street. I clicked on the link to the article but I got a 404, so I wrongly assumed that this was going to be shown in th U.S. My mistake.

11. jiabaoyu

Sep 29, 2000
    My mistake. I didn't realize that it was for the South African Sesame street. I clicked on the link to the article but I got a 404, so I wrongly assumed that this was going to be shown in th U.S. My mistake.

I think a lot of people on this board did not get a chance to read the article. I wonder if people would agree with the decision if they had read it was for South Africa, and not the US.

I agree that if this was the American version of Sesame Street, I would feel the HIV muppet might be unnecessary. AIDS affects Africa in far larger proportions then in the developed world. :)

12. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Currently this year Australia has a HIV diagnosis rate of 0.00013% of the population. 26 people. Why? Brilliant programs that educate people, distribute condoms and supply free clean needles for drug users.

Education and proper programs are whats needed to stem the disease, not muppets. Muppets won't educate children about prevention, they are too young at that stage. Howver, it will teach them "Look, little HIV muppet has AIDS, don't worry, it's no big deal". I think that's possibly the worst outcome. It will teach children to be complacent about the disease and when they reach their teens, will not be as frightened into using condoms as they should be.

Teach children safe sex, introduce needle exchange programs, distribute condoms, but don't make people complacent.

13. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.

Did someone say Gordon was dead?

GORDON DIED?????

14. jiabaoyu

Sep 29, 2000
    Education and proper programs are whats needed to stem the disease, not muppets. Muppets won't educate children about prevention, they are too young at that stage.

Well, I think the Muppet's job is to help young children in South Africa accept that AIDS is part of their life. I would like to think this, coupled with an effective educational campaign at school, would help to relieve any stigma attached to the disease while at the same time time teach them about how to prevent them from getting it.

Acceptance does not always equal complacency.

:)

15. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Wylding:

We have a lot of illegal aliens too. How about an illegal muppet?

16. Jedi_Master_Mom

Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    The muppet in South Africa who is going to bbe HIV+ received it at birth from her mother who died of AIDS. She is living with a foster family now.

17. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Surprised to see this thread rise from the dead. Anyway here's a new link to the story. Guess the orginal one broke.

18. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm pretty surprised by the sheer ignorance expressed in this thread.

19. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    Please enlighten us with your knowledge, then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.