main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Set a Course For Home." Star Trek: Voyager

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediXManSerenaKenobi, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    My girlfriend and I watch the show every day in reruns. I've lost count how many times I've seen each episode. I actually love the show and I was a huge Trek guy way before TNG.

The show has a more campy feel than any of the other shows. What? Enterprise was better?

2. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    I agree! I've seen the reruns so many times... lol! I never get tired of them - with a few exceptions. But the episodes that really get on my nerves are the ones with Kes. Voyager was okay with Kes, but with Seven, things really got good, and the show just took off.

I also agree with you, Confidence. I actually think Voyager's premise for a show was the best Star Trek premise thus far. Before, with Kirk and Picard, they were just roaming the galaxy for fun to discover new life - they had no REAL goal, no driving force. With Janeway, there's a NEED to get back home, an ultimate goal. You're always wondering - will they get back or not? Instead of - will they discover a new planet or not?

There's a big suspense difference.

Oh, look, another planet! Yippee! Shall we drop in for tea and crumpets?

Or... let's get home before all these creepy aliens who want to destroy us actually destroy us! RUN!

Voyager's much more interesting.

3. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I will have to get voyager on dvd and watch it again, but from what i remember it was not that good.

Firstly, Janeway is only just captain and what does she do, gets lost.

Other problems I had (some serious, some not):
    1) Janeways voice annoys me to the point of killing 100's of people
    2) There where no new characters (A vulcan, a klingon, random alien crew members, yawn)
    3) Harry Kim sucks so much, Seriously people, my god.
    4) The ship design is not that good. Did not like it.
    5) It can land? Excuse me! Even the smaller defiant couldnt land. Just trying to make it different for difference sake.
    6) No good 'villains' untill the borg came back, and even then it made them into b******

Doctor was awesome, 7of9 brought some much needed character to the show. I actually quite like tom paris aswell.

But, I have not seen Voyager for awhile, so to me it is NEW star trek, so I will buy it.

I hate myself lol

4. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    The thing that was superior story wise about Voyager was that the A plot was almost always based on space/jeopardy with the B plot being personal boring stuff like romance. TNG had so many episodes where the B plot, the personal plot was what the episode was about. I site Troy's mother naked in a mudbath with Warf's 10 year old son. I mean how-? Anyway. Course TNG had much stronger characters. But on the hole, when you tune into Voyager, chances are it will be an action plot and not a soap in space.

5. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Of course you like the Doctor.

Anyone who says seven/nine adds anything but hotness to the show is an idiot. I am not debating how nice she is to look at, but all your complaints about the quality of Voyager, and the Vulcan w/o the ears is the one that gets the nod, you can get off the band wagon anytime you like.

Voyager > other Trek
    Mulgrew > other captains(blasphemy be damned)
    Tuvok > other Vulcans

Paris & Kim = superior character evolution and depth

Voyager may have its share of typical Trek episodes, but also has superior arcs, and almost perfect stand alones.

6. PetraKenobi

PetraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Harry Kim grew up and deepened maybe even MORE than the Doctor or Tom. He was the youngest, most inexperienced, naive officer on Voyager, then by season 7, he's kind of tossed aside that image. personally, I like Harry *not my favorite character, but his development is one of the most obvious in the series.*

Janeway-not crazy about her or the actress. I'd rather not say as it'll get me into trouble.

Chakotay-he's okay.

Tom-favorite character-his development was up there with Harry's.

B'Elanna-also favorite character. I enjoyed watching her develop in the series too.

The Doctor-so dull and boring in the first few seasons, but his humor and his attitude got better in the later seasons.

I'd describe everybody else but since I don't care too, I won't. All in all, each character developed over the course of the series. Every character deepened; new dimensions were added to their characters.

so yeah, my above paragraph was a defense of Harry. I don't see how you can say he DIDN'T develop; you just compare the PHOTOS from season 1 to season 7 you can see a difference.

7. KaraJadeKim

KaraJadeKim Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2008
    I happen to think Voyager is one of the better series not only did Janeway knock down the doors of the boys club she had confidence and protection in her crew.. and it returned back to the Wagon train to the stars premise with a twist a female captain in the unknown regions.

Harry kim is my favorite character and he might have started out badly but he grew up as the seasons progressed and i thought he was one of the best Charecters they had and he got braver in the later seasons standing up against the rules and things and he grew stronger/

8. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Maybe its just me but from what I've seen the Kim from the first season is practically identical with the one in the last. The characters who seemed to evolve the most to me were Paris, Tores, seven and the doctor. I found Janeway kind of annoying to, her voice was like nails on a chalkboard.

9. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    then, if you're judging on just a few episodes from different seasons, it's hard to understand the development of the character. If you watch teh seasons in order, 1-7, you can understand and see the development a lot better. :) Ihope Garrett Wang never reads this thread...poor guy.

10. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    I've seen all the seasons as they're repeating them on TV and the only noticable differance is that he gets older hardly what I call character developement.

11. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    I have to say, as a big fan of the show, my girlfriend and I are often laughing and lamenting the life of poor Harry Kim. Wang wasn't the greatest actor so developing him is a much harder task. He just didnt' have the acting chops. Look at Roxann Dawson who played B'Elanna Torres. The actress who played her was a very seasoned stage actress and director and it shows. She's my fave.

Today I saw a Harry Kim episode where he is responsible for Voyager crashing during a slipstream warp trip. So he's 15 years older but harder to watch than when he was young ensign, Harry Kim. Poor guy.:p

12. KaraJadeKim

Mar 5, 2008
    I think he changes alot and its not just cause he is my favorite Charecter but he does grow up and realize things as he gets older i notice alot of changes in him. But i watched him from the first season to the last. and Petra is right he does change

Thanks Petra for supporting him [face_dancing] =D=

You still feel sorry for him though.

I am not trying to start a argument or a Harry Kim debate here but you can't make a judgment call on a character from one or two episodes from different seasons.

13. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I happen to like Harry too. But then again, I happen to like them all, so maybe my vote doesn't count.

Harry did develop throughout the series, but it was subtle. Unlike Tom, Torres and Chakotay who had to nearly completely change their temperment and adjust their personalities to coexist with the rest of the crew, except for the Maquis members of course, Harry didn't have to do that.

Fresh out of the Academy, he was bred to be a Starfleet officer and took great care to be the best he could be. His development took place in the shape of maturity. He was still pretty much the same person at the end as he was when the mission started. However; he grew in maturity, lost his naivete, and became a much more well rounded person and officer. Tom helped in this development because they were at opposite ends of the spectrum when it all began. They helped develop each other.

So, no. Harry's development wasn't huge, but it was there.

14. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    thank you. :) it's kind of odd to see Toma and Harry's relationship; considering who they were and their backgrounds. It's just amazing that they became such good friends.

just as a side note, I don't like "timeless", the episode where Harry and Chakotay change the past and Voyager's destiny. Although, it's a break from all the Seven-oriented episodes which are not needed and get boring. *except "Someone to Watch Over Me" that's really the only Seven-oriented episode I care for.*

15. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I'll admit that Voyager was my least favorite of the modern Treks. I didn't hate the show, I just liked the others better.

Looking back, it's hard for me not to see the flaws. The Starfleet/Maquis tension was rarely that much of an issue. Voyager rarely looked like it was stranded decades from home and the whole supply and maintenance problems one might expect never really developed (someone once noted that the ship should have looked like it did in the Year of Hell episodes. I would tend to agree.) Many of the characters didn't get that much development, even after seven years. And, IMO, the Borg were overused and somewhat defanged.

That's not to say that the show didn't have its good qualities. Far from that, but still, not my favorite.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That was probably me. I've said on more that one occaision that Voyager in Endgame should have lookd like Voyager in Year of Hell. I've read that original intent was for Voyager to be much closer to Battlestar than Star Trek in terms of tone, but it was decided that since DS9 was already pretty dark and conflicted, that Voyager should be more upbeat. I like Voyager, but trying make Voyager a happy show robbed it of some dramatic potential IMHO.

17. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    It would have been alot cooler, if the ship had looked more worn or patched up as things went along.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. That's partially what I like about Battlestar. You can see Galactica become more and more cratered as the series goes along.

19. KaraJadeKim

Mar 5, 2008
    Thanks for supporting us and the tom Harry friendship I think really did help the development

20. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    No problem, PetraKenobi and KaraJadeKim. ;)

21. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    have you all forgotten that they stopped and repaired the ship numerous times? The outer hull probably got repaired a few times too, but non-continuinity can be expected in a show...any show with a long run-time, or even short run-time, especially considering the fact that the crew complement changes numerous times; one episode will have it at about 135, another show I watched the other day had it at 150. I don't think they gained THAT many new crewmembers, lol.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No, I haven't forgotten that, but after 7 years in the Delta Quadrant and more than its fair share hull breaches and battle damage from some extremely powerful and persistent enemies, Voyager's hull should look visible patched and scarred.

23. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    yeah, well, as I said, continunity *sp?* tends to get lost in anything that changes constantly. of course, if the writers had been more concerned with developing Voyager more instead of Seven of Nine, maybe it would have been just a bit better.

24. KaraJadeKim

Mar 5, 2008
    I agree there they put to much focus on Seven towards the end.

25. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    it was fine when she first joined, because, yes, she was adjusting to humanity and learning about her life. But about seasons 5-7, there was at least every other episode *or seems like* just about her. There could have been some good storylines added for other characters, like maybe following up more on Tom and B'elanna after Day of Honor.