main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Set a Course For Home." Star Trek: Voyager

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediXManSerenaKenobi, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I agree there was way to much emphasis on Seven at the expense of the others.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. Seven and the Doctor are my favorite Voyager characters, but towards the end of the show's run it practically became The Doctor and Seven Show.

3. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    The one they really forgot about was Chakotay. Seven was a large part of the last couple of seasons, but they did manage to get a few shows in here and there with most of the others, but very little Chakotay. There was so much potential there for him, but they didn't use him. I've heard some people say they didn't really like him. Well, that's probably true. You can't like a character they do not develop properly. Then, the next thing you know, he and Seven are an item. Didn't see that one coming.

4. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    She really damaged the show. Voyager had Tuvok and the Doc, and thats plenty of stoicism/logic/sarcasm/ and all the other commander Data qualities Trek fans gravitate towards. Adding a 3rd robo character to the show was excessive. The whole "becoming more human" thing made it even worse. It seems everyone; Vulcans, Robots, Holograms, even the Borg, would all be a little better off if they would just give up what makes them unique, to become more "unique" =P

5. PetraKenobi

PetraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I agree with the chakotay thing. He's not my FAVORITE character but I think there could have been some more character development.

Does anyone think they threw away a good relationship with Janeway and chakotay and the Doctor and Seven? I think they did...I still think there could have been maybe some good storylines had there been a romance *more so* between Janeway\Chakotay, and Doctor\Seven.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I think the chemistry for a Janeway/Chakotay relationship was there, but neither of them would have pursued it, I think. They're both too professional for that. As for the Doctor and Seven, at the time was convinced that the writers were, in fact, taking the characters in that direction.

7. CrazyOldHermit

Aug 22, 2007
    I thought that too. Then, like I said before, Seven and Chakotay hook up. Ironic, since he was the most outspoken against her joining the crew in the first place.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I liked the fact that they got rid of Kes. Neeilx's misintreptation of Tom's gestures of friendship were funny, but ultimately Kes didn't really serve a purpose. Looking at Voyager from a strictly practical view point with an eye towards day-to-day starship operations it FAR more sense for Seven to be a membr of Voyager's crew, given that she had phd level training and beyond in so many different branches of science and engineering thanks to the Borg.

9. CrazyOldHermit

Aug 22, 2007
    You're right. Seven is more practical to have on Voyager. I'm sure they had some other big plans for Kes, but then she left the show. It sort of derailed the plans. I didn't have a big problem with Kes. She looked at everything like a child, but yet had a wisdom about her that belied her years. The Doctor may never have become what he became without her either. She was the one that pushed for him to be treated like a true crewmember, not just some photons. The episode "Fury" is what served no real purpose. Kes returns after a couple of years bent on destroying Voyager. Why didn't they just leave the story as it was in "The Gift?" She transformed into a different being and left for greater things. That was probably my least favorite Voyager episode. Talk about filler.

10. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    I always thought they had something big planned for kes. I always imagined it would have something to do with the fact that her life span was only meant to be 6 or 7 years which would have equaled up with how many seasons they would have hoped Voyager would last. Like her dying in the final episode but somehow using her power to transport them hore or something like that.

11. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I didn't like Kes to begin with.
    Voyager's always been my favorite Star Trek series by far, but Kes never really fit in. I guess it was her youthful naivity that bugged the hell out of me.
    And somehow I thought it was strange that she'd be with Neelix. At times I felt like Neelix was way too overprotective, like a Dad would be with his daughter.
    Didn't really like that too much.

The idea that Kes would be the cause for Voyager's return is a damned good one. It would've made more sense, I think.
    Imho, Voyager should have gotten a whole different ending to start with. How I would have loved to see the ship sit down on a landing pad and have the crew step out to a thundering of applause. Something along those lines to at least show the audience that they made it back alive and that there were people waiting for them.

And I would have like to see Tom patch things up with his Dad.

12. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I was sent voyager season 7 by accident the other day (ordered season 7 of ds9) and decided to not send it back and instead watch it.

I have to say, I take a few things back about voyager, but only some. The doctor is my fav character, he just seems to 'fit' star trek (at least what I think good star trek is). Seven is ok, sometimes her character has seemed a bit repetative, but thats to be expected from a ex-borg lol

The ship isnt too bad, the bridge is growing on me, but WTH is up with Janeways HUGE ready room?!? Id never really realised how big it is, its like the observation lounge from TNG.

Harry still annoys me, he is like a small child sometimes with his 'I dont wanna be told off, but alright' attitude.

Tom is cool, so is Tuvok. Nice relationships between the characters.

But god Janeways voice still grates me so.

13. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Yes - Janeway's my absolute favorite Captain, but her voice does annoy me, too.

14. CrazyOldHermit

Aug 22, 2007
    Kate Mulgrew does have a very ... unique voice, but I think she pulled off Janeway nicely. Looking back on it, I can't imagine anyone else in that role.

15. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I cant think of anyone else in the JANEWAY role, but in terms of the Captain of Voyager, I would of loved Jadzia Dax to leave DS9 and be given that command.

She would of rocked the house.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I've heard a rumor that at one point the producers were think of giving command of Voyager to Riker. I would have liked to see that, I think.

EDIT: If they had given it to Dax, that means that she would have take Worf with her and probably O'Brian as well, which means that Michael Dorn and Colm Meaney would have been the only actors to appear in THREE Star Trek series back to back to back. :D

17. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    They originally had an older lady to play Janeway, and her name used to be Nicole Janeway, but I don't think they liked her, and then Kate Mulgrew came along and asked that her name be Kathryn Janeway, a much better fit. Captain Kathryn Janeway. It just sounds right. And I saw a take of the older lady - she was horrible as Janeway!! Mulgrew really brought her to life.

And I think they needed new blood. Bringing back Riker just seems to me too repetitive. I'm glad VOY had a new cast.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't remember her name, but the original actor was French-Canadian and she had asked for Janeway to be written as such, which means we almost got a Canadian captain. She left three days into shooting the pilot, howeverm because she didn't want to be tied down to a TV show. I've also read that her acting style was too subtle and wouldn't have fit Star Trek's fast paced, high energy format. So it worked out for the best, I think. It seems like Kate Mulgrew had alot of fun playing Captain Janeway and that made Voyager a lot of fun to watch.

19. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Didn't they originally pick some French actress to play Janeway but she dropped out. I don't recall her name.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

21. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    I still think they should have at least explored it towards the end of the series, instead of the Seven\Chakotay thing. Gag.

and to whoever said the thing about Voyager's ending, AMEN! I hated the ending because I felt like it was incomplete and we were sort of left hanging. It would have been nice for them to maybe make a movie that focused on how everyone re-adjusted to life on earth; did Tom ever get back on good grounds with his dad? What happens to the Doctor? Do Seven and CHakotay REALLY get married? Does B'Elanna ever make up with her mom and dad? What about Janeway's relationship to Mark? Are there complications with that? and, what about Harry's relationship with Libby?

The writers had so much more to explore and they didn't; I really would have loved to see how Seven adjusted to Earth, and Naomi.

(note, I know that Mark got married during the show but it's just speculation!)

22. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    I assume they must have released some books on the Voyager crew dealing with the return. Anyone read any of those, how do they cope.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes, they did. Please go to the Star Trek thread in the SFF and Books forum and I can give you a rough sypnosis/spoilers about what goes on in at least the first four books in Voyager relaunch and why Tuvok is not apart of the Voyager relaunch books.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Because Tuvok is currently serving aboard the USS Titan as Captain Riker's Chief of Security.

25. PetraKenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    sadly, I don't buy Star Trek or Star Wars books since I can't afford them, and I'm not sure if my library carries any. still, i think a movie or a short mini-series should have been devoted to voyager's return.