main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Set S-Foils in attack positions"- lip quirk or not?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Rogue_Pilot, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Pilot

Rogue_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2003
    Since the release of ROTS, I've always noticed while viewing that when Oddball gives the order "Set s-foils in attack positions", his lips aren't moving.
    Film makers often add dialogue for a character in ADR that the actor never actually said, when they think they can get away with it (i.e the audience won't notice for whatever reason). Because Oddball also looks to the other ships and nodds while this is being said, you may not notice that his lips aren't moving, and I've just assumed that this was a case of badly done ADR.

However, I've only just noticed the fact the Oddball's gunner, sitting behind him, also looks like he may be saying the words. This would make sense as in the OT the s-foils are linked to the gun system, and it would solve the matter of Oddball not moving his lips.
    *Sigh*, clones do present a problem when it comes to diffrentiating voices don't they? :p

Anyone else who has also thought of this? Am I the only one who didn't realize it's the gunner?

2. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I interpreted this scene the same way you have. For my first several viewings I was thrown off because I could see Oddball's lips were not moving - the first time I figured I must have just not noticed, but as I saw it a few more times I began to think it was bad dialogue recording, as you said. Only around viewing 4 or so did it occur to me that it might be his gunner saying it. The voice made me automatically assume it was the same individual saying the words.

3. Reckless_Fable

Reckless_Fable Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2004
    If you watch carefully it is actually the Co-Pilot who says "Lock...etc" and his face does move behind his helmet.

4. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    Wow. I've seen it 9 times and never caught that. [face_hypnotized]

5. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Having flaws pointed out by fellow fans is not cool. [face_frustrated]
    Please, start the Official "Point out bloopers to distract from viewing pleasure " thread.

Guess I tapped into that one.

6. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    However, I've only just noticed the fact the Oddball's gunner, sitting behind him, also looks like he may be saying the words. This would make sense as in the OT the s-foils are linked to the gun system, and it would solve the matter of Oddball not moving his lips.
    *Sigh*, clones do present a problem when it comes to diffrentiating voices don't they

Yep.

7. Andy_Fett

Andy_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2005
    ARC-170's hold 2 people, perhaps the main pilot was not the one who said, "Set S-Foils in attack position."

8. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    ARC-170s have a pilot, a copilot, and a tail gunner. The clone behind Oddball, the copilot, is the one who said 'lock S-foils in attack position'.

9. Midgetsforbreakfast

Midgetsforbreakfast Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    As several others have already pointed out it is the clone behind the pilot that actually says, "Set S-foils into attack positions."

The movement of Oddball's head to the side so that you can clearly see that his mouth is not moving was done intentionally during that line--so that you would look at the pilot behind him and see that his head was moving behind his helmet and figure out that he was the one saying the line.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I hadn't noticed it. This should go, not in the blooper thread. But in the things not noticed thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.