"Sev" Vs. "Master Chief": A Comparison of State of the Art soldiers.

Discussion in 'Games' started by The_Mandalorian_, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Which warrior do you biasly or unbiasly believe to be the greatest?

On one hand, we have RC-1207 (Sev) who is equipped with the greatest soldier technology of his era and has an unhealthy appetite for killing.

AND

On the other hand, you have Halo 2's Master Chief, a valiant lone warrior who is constantly pitted against inconceivable odds and always comes out on top.

Wars, as you may or may not know, are won with technology. Though the Covenant in Halo 2 have more sophisticated technology than the humans (correct me if im wrong) Master Cheif still makes waste of hordes of enemies.

Sev, along side his commando unit, are constantly pitted against droids and mercs with equally dangerous weaponry.

Who do you think is the greatest? (Please be mature)
  2. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Technology does not necessarily equate to power. For example, the bowcaster is far less advanced than the average blaster rifle, yet does an equivalent amount of damage.

I'm of a mind that Sev would win, simply because SW weapons are far and away more powerful than Halo weapons. No power difference exists between the Covenant plasma rifle and the Ghost's antipersonnel guns -- they are both rated at a pitiful 100-250 kW against Terran forces. That isn't too much more power than the average handgun bullet delivers. Of course, they can fire a lot faster, but that's just about their only real advantage over human weapons, which is why the Master Chief can take them down. In stark contrast, Han Solo's handheld DL-44 heavy blaster pistol blew out an entire chunk of the Mos Eisley docking bay in ANH, and the stormtrooper blaster rifles, with one shot, utterly vaporized most of the blast door around the elevator to get to Luke and Han in the detention block. Let's say for instance, because I don't feel like plugging in the DVD and scaling the screen, that all told, that section had a volume of a tenth of a cubic meter. Now, in another for instance, say that was titanium -- it's commonly used in the aerospace industry in real life, and derivatives and stronger versions of it are used in SW. The X-wing's hull is made out of a titanium alloy, in fact. At 4507 kg/m^3 (yeah, it's freaking heavy), that gives 450.7 kg of material that they shot out. Let's say that the room temperature was totally average -- about 300 Kelvins. Now, let's crunch some numbers:

Q = mcT

where Q is the energy requirement, m is the mass you're operating on, c is the specific heat of the stated material in whatever state you're talking about, and T in this case stands for the change in temperature, because I have no idea how to do a delta symbol here. It should be delta T.

The mass in our little for-instance equals 450.7 kg, and the specific heat of titanium is...different for every alloy of it. But they're all pretty close (in the 500-ish range) so I picked one at random from a construction specification manual, 502.4 J/kg K, and the change in temperature, from 300 K to titanium's boiling temp, 1941 K, is 1641 K. Multiply all that crap together and you come out with ~3.7e8 J. BUT WAIT! We're not done yet. Then, we have to multiply the mass by the latent heat of fusion of titanium, 440,000 J/kg. This yields ~2e8 J. Now, do it again for melting point to boiling point temp difference -- since the boiling point is 3560 K, we get a temp change of 1619 K. Operate on this to get ~3.7e8 again. (The ~ notates an approximation to a certain amount of significant figures.) Now do the mass and the latent heat of vaporization, which is 9.83 MJ/kg -- we get ~4.2e9 J. Add all these energy amounts together to get a whopping ~5.14e9 J, or over 5 GJ per shot. Before you go like "whoa, that can't possibly be right" consider this -- it'd be some astronomically high number even if it was a friggin' toothbrush. One joule is a very, very, very small amount of energy -- you exert more than that pressing one button down on the keyboard. Factor in the very small amount of time it took for the shot to work -- a miniscule amount of frames at 30 fps -- and you have an even higher number of watts, because power = work/time. I base this seemingly outrageously high E-11 shot energy on the fact that only one blast was heard, and judging that they approached in a single-file line -- not just through the door but on approach to it -- they couldn't fit an E-Web behind them. That is, of course, assuming an energy absorption rate of 100%. In reality, it's around half, which would mean over 10 GJ per shot. Even assuming a hundredth of a cubic meter of metal was vaporized, a gigajoule would be required to blast it. Only when you get down to amounts of material that are too small for an ant to fit in the door, much less a stormtrooper, do we have a power range equivalent to that of a Covenant weapon. Now, granted, that shot had to have been turned up on maximum freaking HELLO-YOU'RE-DEAD
  3. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Having read the Halo novels and being an obsessed Halo fanboy that knows nearly everything about it I possibly can, I'm going to go for John 117. Techwise...I'm not sure which way it would go, but the Mjolnir armor has definately proved how much of a beating it can take, but comparing two different universes' tech is difficult. Without any tech, given the extent of his genetic modifications, I'd go with the Master Chief.

Though, I'm admittedly incredibly biased, and don't know too much about Sev, so my opinion's rather slanted.

4. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    It's not at all difficult to compare two universes' weapons capabilities. Simply use physics, and the mathematical formulae underlying it, to determine how much energy each weapon can deliver to a target. If possible, pick a situation where you can examine the damage done to an unshielded target whose composition is known. If they give you real figures beforehand, that's even better. But, formulae such as KE = .5mv^2 and Q = mcT / Q = mL allow you to calculate even the most stupendously high energy yields, such as the Death Star's incredible 1e38 J exerted in ANH to knock off Alderaan.

If you truly want to do an objective, scientifically credible analysis of any universe's weapons, math is the only way to go.
  5. Echo_Trooper Jedi Knight

uh...i am gonna tip the scales...Sev...is a heartless killer...and a tad bit freaky...like the guide says..."when things get hairy, he gets scary..." how very true..."some troopers suspect that someone spiked his cloning vat." yeah...the sign of a Madman...but he surprisingly...doesn't go so insane he kills his own people...although he gets a tadbit wreckless. he is a lot like Riggs from Lethal Weapon 1...flippin insane yet a born killer...there 2 biased opinions cancel each other out...besides the entire squad is flipping sweet...i mean "Scorch" is the best...comedy relief with a blast...literally...the entire squad was bred to kill...all after the same guy...Jango Fett...he thought that the clones were "soft" so he and some other Bounty hunters trained an elite group to kick some arse...and he succeeded
  6. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Samus Aran.

Or Snake.

Megaman?
  7. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Mega Man X. Oh yeah. I love the way he has infinite technological adaptability and spews plasmic death everywhere while philosophizing about how everything sucks.

MMX IS GOD.
  8. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    The proportions of Samus Aran's body is weird. :confused: Her body's too tall, her chest and shoulders are too wide (and her arms are attached a mile away from her chest) and her head is too small for her body. [face_thinking]
  9. The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Sev just likes his job too much.

I suppose i should have made the comparison on Boss as opposed to Sev. Boss supposedly broke Walon Vau's arm in melee training and Vau said that was when he knew who his squad leader was.
  10. _XIZOR_ Jedi Youngling

"It's not at all difficult to compare two universes' weapons capabilities. Simply use physics, and the mathematical formulae underlying it, to determine how much energy each weapon can deliver to a target."

Who cares about applying physics to this. What does that have to do with anything. Weapons wouldnt decide this fight anyways. Its obvious that MC would win hands down in any fight. The armor and genetic enhancements alone are enough to guarantee a victory. Put Sev and MC alone in a room with no weapons, with or without armor, and MC would win every time.
  11. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Oh, Force... *sighs*

You do understand that it is physics that shows as an objective fact that a Republic Commando's armor can take a HELL of a lot more of a beating than the MJOLNIR armor? Physics governs the way the entire universe works -- this includes every weapon that ever has or ever will be produced anywhere in the universe. This includes anything used in Star Wars and Halo. It isn't merely conceptual -- it's mathematical. A higher number of joules are applied by an atomic bomb than a bullet. The Commando armor can quite simply take more joules. A friggin' hell of a lot more.
  12. The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Master

star 4
    "It isn't merely conceptual -- it's mathematical."

Thats actually the answer to life, heh.

"Without" armor creates an entirely new question. To answer such a question, one would have to investigate melee training BUT when trying to answer the question I've asked (Who is the better soldier) melee training alone cant answer that.
  13. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Well, Boss refused to use a lightsaber onboard the RAS Prosecutor, even though it could have made the going much easier. On the other hand, the Master Chief wields a plasma sword with brutal efficiency. Then again, the Boss broke his instructor's arm in a training session.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.