main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Seventeen - An OC's Thoughts on the Empire . . . Introspective Piece - Intertrilogy

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DancesWithBlasters, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DancesWithBlasters

DancesWithBlasters Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 22, 2006
    This would never have happened without the expert guidance of my truly terrific master, Saria_Raide, so I'd like to give her a shout-out for helping me out, beta-ing and giving all kinds of great advice. Thanks Master!

So, please, read and enjoy!

______________________________________________________________________________

Seventeen

Seventeen. I?m seventeen standard years old today. Seventeen, only one more year until I?m a legal adult on my planet. Seventeen, ?You?re still a child to me.? Seventeen, my whole future lies ahead. Seventeen, friends, university, seeking adventure at every turn, are what make up my entire life. Seventeen, and I?ve lived through things no one thought the galaxy would ever see. I?m seventeen today.

My friends came to give me a party, even though we?re all busy, they came anyway, because they love me. I love them, too. Some of them, I?ve known them for ages, since we were small, children jumping rope, scrambling up the leafy vines of the towering trees, laughing and playing, carefree. Some of them I?ve only just met, but we?re as close as family, an intense bond of having done the same work, lived in the same place, seen the same things happen, has brought us together. And all of them, affectionate and aloof, cheerful and sarcastic, selfish and grateful, kind and caring, or down right intimidating, graceful and tripping-on-air, any adjective I could possibly think of, those are my friends, I know I can count on them. And they can count on me. We?ve been through everything, everything life threw at us, together.

Tomorrow, we?ll all get back to being the uni students we are, and tomorrow I won?t have time for thinking strange wandering thoughts because whatever I had to drink was too strong for me. But that?s tomorrow. And it?s today now.

It?s odd, how even surrounded by people, there are things I remember as I if I were alone. Things I faced alone, even if there were others there, it was personal. Like I was saying, I?m seventeen, but I was only eight, so young, too young, when the Old Republic (how is it they call it old, when only eleven years have past?) was replaced by the Empire, for the security of the people. The last eleven years haven?t been terrible. They?ve been the best years of my life, years of friendship and exploration. But the memory, fog crowding the edges, nearly lost, haunts me in its loneliness. I?m a loyal subject and citizen and all that poodoo they write in laws, but sometimes . . . . .

Eleven years, that?s a lifetime for children . . . . It?s funny, when you think about it, time. It can feel long or short, but really, time?s always going to be the same amount.

I was eight. I thought I was so grown up, so mature, I was so naive . . . . I acted shocked, was shocked, my friends and I talked and talked as if we could grasp the events. In truth, I didn?t understand even the tiniest bit of what was happening, I only remember that Chancellor Palpatine looked hideous suddenly, as if he were a newly created monster revealed to the galaxy, but the Senate was still applauding him, even louder then they ever had before. My father, he looked a little afraid, but told me we?d be alright, and we have. We?ve done well, in all truth. Nothing much has changed, except for the troopers. There are more of them now, though I don?t think they got any more brains or personality than before. But, for all that the galaxy has changed, I guess it?s stayed the same, too, for us normal folk. Friendship and community, love, it still exists, it?s not a new galaxy, just a new Empire. But I look up to the sky, and I know things have changed . . . it frightens me some days.

Eleven years is a short time, and an unbearably long time as well. Seventeen is little more. I am only seventeen, but I know things are changing, have changed. I can?t tell the future, no one ever can, nor could, not even those evil wizards, the Jedi, but time changes everything. Time changes people and places, actions.

I?m only seventeen, and I know this. They say youth is

2. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Is no one interested? Please, do read.

3. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    I can so see myself in this, because this is what it feels like being 17, Empire or not.

Well, this was just amazing and I am really looking forward to read more form you my friend.

4. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Thank you! That's undoubtedly the greatest praise I could possibly get, for you to say this felt real. Having not actually reached that age myself yet, I wasn't sure I captured the feelings right, but to hear that from you, who I totally completely respect, is great. Thanks for reviewing while everyone else ignored!
    EDIT: Anyone else interested? I seem to have gotten Star_Angel's Stamp of Approval, so I must have something here, I guess.

5. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Just lovely! :D You captured the character's varied emotions concerning her life and the galaxy around her so realistically.

They say youth is wasted on the young, but I don?t think anyone?s youthful any more, not my friends, not me, not growing up like we have, swept up in the giant arms of severe change.

Very powerful, and profound, line. Loved it!

Well done! =D= =D=

6. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    OH MY GOD!!!! I GOT A REVIEW FROM Gina!!!!!! [face_dancing] [:D] Thank you sooo much! That was a very very very kind review. I'm glad you liked that line, I wasn't sure it was frased right at first.

7. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Will someone else please comment?
    Are everyone's first fics left unread, or is it just mine? Sigh. Oh well.

8. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    I just wanted to let everyone know just how much I would apperciate a comment. Being a first time writer, I'd like to know what worked in my piece, what I could improve. So, once again, a HUGE thanks to the amazing, and incredibly supportive Gina, and my friend and awesomely cool first reviewer, Star_Angel! And of course, last but certainly not least, my (currently absent) master, Saria_Raide, for guiding me, and working up my courage so I could post this. And thank you in advance to anyone who may review this, and to any lurker who may read this.

9. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Please, will someone read?

10. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Eleven years, that?s a lifetime for children . . . . It?s funny, when you think about it, time. It can feel long or short, but really, time?s always going to be the same amount.

So, so true.

This was incredible, DancesWithBlasters! The narrator's emotions and thoughts feel so real.

Nice work! =D= =D= =D=

11. Saria_Raide

Saria_Raide Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2006
    CONGRATS!!!

*Tosses confetti in the air and waves sparklers around

You posted a story you posted a story you posted a story!!!

You have taken your first step into a larger world!

I'm so proud of you Dances!!! [:D]

12. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Thank you, amidalachick! I'm glad you liked that. I tripped upon the thought when I was thinking about the number of years a president would be in office if he was elected twice. When you think about it in the years (eight, of cours) that's pretty long. And the rest of that thought is math. LOL!

13. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Thank you, Master. By the way, your story was quite incredible!

14. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Is anyone else interested?

15. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
  16. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    I'd like to thank my three awesome reviewers, Star_Angel, my darling friend, Gina, the kindly mentor/emotional support ([face_blush]), amidalachick, the benevolent stranger, and of course, my master, Saria_Raide, a true guiding light, for reaching out to me when others didn't. [:D] I'm more thankful than you know. Especially to you, Gina, you encouraged me so completely, and that meant just sooo much to me, because I really really respect you, and love your writing. So a big thanks to you all. Hopefully I'll be writing again soon. ~DancesWithBlasters

17. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Excellent piece of work here Dances, especially relating to the narration. It's just a normal kid, getting on with his/her life without the Empire affecting them in any way. Sure, there was a Rebellion and all, but normal citizens must've liked the Empire, otherwise it'd have never lasted as long as it did.

So, excellent :D

And congrats on posting your first story :D

18. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    On your first fic - it's probably because its an OC rather than an established character, and in that way, a lot of OC vigs get ignored. ;)

This, though, this was simply amazing! I never thought to do a narrative like this, from one who was young when the Empire took over. It's impressive, actually, seeing this and realizing I don't think anyone else has really done a fic like this, with the sheer amount of insight you put into this. I loved how it centered around a normal emotion all people feel, in DRL and in a GFFA, yet how it pertains specifically in the cast of a GFFA.

Excuse the craziness of that sentence. :p I really, really enjoyed this fic. You managed to work in all that a child feels at any type of great birthday or event. You really captured seventeen, not yet eighteen, young but getting there. It's how I felt when I turned seventeen. [face_love]

You've really made my day with this for personal reasons, probably. I'm turning eighteen tomorrow, and... well, it hasn't been a great year. I remember that optismism and fear, and hope. I wish I could retain through my eighteenth year tomorrow, but I just don't know. You've made me feel nostalgic, darn it! I'm not old enough for that yet! ;)

Great job on this. Feel proud. =D= Listen, not having a million replies doesn't mean it's not good. :)

-Krystal

19. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Hey Spike! I was starting to wonder if you would ever get around to reading this! Anyway, thank you! I figured plenty people had it fine under the Empire, not everyone was persecuted, there were people who just didn't want to push it, because they didn't want to endanger themselves or family. So that's my reasoning. Once again, THANK YOU![:D]

20. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Yeah, I thought I would explore how just another normal citizen, no crazy parents, no connection to the Force, no hero, would feel about the Empire. She remember the Republic, but she was young, you forget, that was the idea. I wanted something original, and I just sort of stumbled upon it.

I know that most OC stories get ignored unless they're by really well known author, because I used to do that myself. [face_beatup] But I just like complaining. That way it doesn't look like I'm just desperately upping my own thread several times a day.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!Wow, eighteen, legal adult (sort of), get to vote and all that. Cool! I'm sure you'll have a better year now. You must have just graduated high school, right? :confused: That's exciting. Anyway, strangest thing: My birthday's tomorrow!

So, to end this all up: THANK YOU

21. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Any more takers?

22. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Master Saria? Are you around? I have a question.

23. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Hey Spike! I was starting to wonder if you would ever get around to reading this!

I tend to wander about in a haze and miss the obvious. You're always welcome to PM me, though, with any links to 'fics you write and post on here.

24. DancesWithBlasters

Jan 22, 2006
    Aww, thanks, Spike, you're the best!

25. Saria_Raide

Saria_Raide Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2006
    Okay, I guess I'm looking for you in all the wrong places, Dances.

WAH! I'm lost! :eek:

Did I answer your question yet, or . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.