main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I, uh, hear reports that there are mobile ATT trucks set-up which provide cell coverage -- this I believe is only San Juan, per se, but it may be useful.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I dunno. But the lack of communication is compounding an already untenable situation. Things aren't getting any easier. The wife and I are already near the breaking point, with dwindling gas, water and food supplies. The infernal heat makes getting a good night sleep almost impossible. I don't want to succumb to despair, but it's getting harder and harder with each passing day.

I'm afraid....

3. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    :( Could you come to the mainland for a while? Is there anyone you could stay with?

4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

From what I've read, this is the argument being made for Trump and the US government to rapidly offer aid--so that there isn't a mass exodus of people from Puerto Rico into the mainland.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Double post. [face_plain]

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Getting humanitarian aid (food, clothing, water) to Puerto Rico is easier than distributing it to people when the infrastructure is damaged. Hope the U.S. can do better and more quickly than we did with Haiti relief in 2010 (1. it's our territory, 2. people aren't nearly as poor to begin with) Not that the situation is undire. Dire-ish. Trending dire-ward.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It will be addressed and taken care of after the NFL stuff is taken care of. Perspective, please.

EHT, Ezio Skywalker and Rylo Ken like this.
  8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Afraid not. Escape is sadly not an option. Last night was thoroughly hellish for me and my lady and our mood simply not that good. The moments I manage to actually get a good connection to make a call or post here to whine due to this post-disaster depression seem like a small triumph. Right now I'm sitting almost at the finish line of a lenghty 50 or so vehicle line with the panel light blinking at me just to fill my tank so as to avoid spending untold hours on a 400 vehicle line to mmmmaybe get the same result or go home empty handed. Crazy and ridiculous all rolled into one.

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, what's new? S.S.D.D. Fuel and supplies distribution are an unmitigated disaster. Telecommunications are barely improving but not to the point where I can make a ****** call or even see an email at home or at work. Power restoration is moving at a snail's pace. We probably have gods know how many casualties in rural or hard to reach areas. But we're fine here. Just fine. How are you?

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Can't complain.

Darth_Invidious and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Jesus that sounds awful. Really hoping you guys and Puerto Rico can pull through. Also looks like Yoda's_Roomate hasn't been on since the night Maria hit.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That one is on Rylo Ken

Darth_Invidious and Rylo Ken like this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The report theoretically is that there are a lot of disaster medical personnel in San Juan -- but almost no military/other agency personnel to guard those folks to take them outside of the city to help the other areas who are even worse off (medically, not food/water/gas).

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've noticed. Hope he's alright. Like many of us, we have to scourge the highways and other areas were we know there's a good cell signal in order to do crap like posting here...if our mobiles are powered up, that is. But man, this near 19th century lifestyle sucks balls...

15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

I'm glad you can still get your calls for help out to the JCC. Not that that helps.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Other Jabba, dude, the entire goddam US Army and Marine Corps can't bloody help, even if they could get every damn boot in the ground here.

Diggy likes this.
  17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    DP. Yeah, nice to see some things are constant...

Rylo Ken likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    President Trump came to visit and threw some paper towels. Everything is fine now.

20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    So, he threw in the towel? We can only hope.

Ghost likes this.
  21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    If only. It would've been a welcome bit of news after the ****show the racist ******** threw here a few days ago.

Updates? Not much really. Even if the idiot governor blurted out to Trump that there were only 16 confirmed deaths, the number is probably three times as high and won't be fully known until things are back to normal and contact has been reestablished with hard to reach areas.

50% of the island is still without running water, and that's because 90% of the power infrastructure is literally on the floor if not hanging onto trees, buildings or, worse yet, perched on hard to reach mountainous terrain. Though parts of San Juan and a couple of other towns are lit up, the island remains mostly dark. Communications across the island is still spotty AF. There have been improvements but only because most towers - like just about everything else down here - are hooked up to backup generators. The US Army Corps of Engineers and local and US contractors are backing up the local power company to make repairs but...progress is slow. Best case estimates throw total power restoration in around six to eight months. This has led to several hotels and businesses shutting down their local operations for good and provoked a new exodus of locals fleeing stateside because they can't handle not being without creature comforts at best or due to total hopelessness at worst. Me? Let's say that being without power and water for over two weeks now feels like a prolonged camping trip...except in a hot and stinky concrete apartment rather than a hot, stinky, vinyl tent.

But Trump says everything's fine down here. So yeah, everything's peachy keen, hunky ******* dory. Yup.

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, now you guys have Nate to worry about. Sure hope that thing doesn't turn into another Katrina. Regardless, any of you in its path prep now and, please, stay safe.

Master_Lok likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Darth_Invidious please stay safe. Thinking of everyone there and elsewhere who has been slammed by this hurricane season.

Well wishes to folks in Nate's path.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Honestly, and I hope I'm not jinxing, this one looks like it's going to be a nothingburger, all things considered. It looks like it's barely going to keep up at a Cat-2 and almost blow itself back down to a TS as soon as it hits land. The only "interesting" part is it may stay as a TS throughout the entire South, up into Tennessee...

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The reason that I don't think that it will be a nothingburger is the lack of time for preparation. Unlike Harvey, Irma, and Maria, which were tracked as much as a week-plus out, this one essentially materialized as a threat to the US mainland over the last three days.

26. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I know this isn't weather, but the pictures from napa and sonoma are devastating. Everyone's seen a burned out house. The house catches on fire, the firefighters come, but the damage may be terrible. Here there are photos of entire neighborhoods 100% burned to ash, nothing left. Just row after row of ash piles.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/us/california-fires-napa/index.html

the before and after slider

27. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Wildfires are a direct result of weather, so I don't see why they don't fit this thread.

There's one happening a short distance from me. They call it the Canyon Fire 2. Worst sequel since Godfather 3.

yankee8255 and Juliet316 like this.