main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Here, this will make you fell better.

[​IMG]

Oh. Wait.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Love ya too, Diggster.

Diggy likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Fingers crossed for your hacienda.

4. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I hate houses, large or small. My flat will be just fine...except for the no running water or power thingie...

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Now they're saying potentially Cat 4? :rolleyes: Hopefully Maria will take a hike East away from the islands. Wishing everyone there well.

6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    This latest batch of **** has made a praying man of me again, so yeah, I'm whispering mantras to gods old and new to have that thing stay heading west. But given that this is one of the hottest September in memory, it'll take a healthy amount of divine intervention to steer that thing away from the islands Irma already ravaged.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Hey, I'm (possibly) sending you help! Mav was activated for DMAT last night and she just left for staging 5 minutes ago.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Mav?

I suspect flooding across the island will be one of the most immediate issues to tend do during and after Maria does her thing. Other issues will be food and supplies shortages, already felt due to the issues Jacksonville, FL is still dealing with. But of more severe impact to all will be the state the power infrastructure will be left at come Thursday. It is at its weakest after decades of poor maintenance, poor administration of the local (and only) state-owned (and therefore, politically controlled) power company; already crippled by our local economical situation plus Irma's loving caress.

The worst case scenario we narrowly avoided two weeks ago will probably be a thing the day after tomorrow: weeks - if not months - without power (and in many cases, that includes the capacity to receive running water) for millions across the island. Yup, that's my crappy third-world reality.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Ya, Mavis (mavjade) -- another JCer pair. :p But the bigger immediate concern (similar to the USVI) is if hospitals are totaled in San Juan, then power / food / water -- since the medical care will likely need to be immediate, as well as immediate for people already in those hospitals if they are out of commission. Harvey knocked out 21 hospitals in one night in the Houston-area, and they were only up to 10-out a week or two later.

10. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The U.S. Virgin Islands also are not in need of a category 4 hurricane. I guess it's good that my friends haven't been able to get back to St. Thomas to assess the Irma damage now that they would have wanted to evacuate ahead of Maria anyway.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Structurally, hospitals will be fine. Unlike the states, construction codes are somewhat different. Many buildings and dwellings are built in solid concrete and can stand hurricane winds just fines. But without power and water, they and other emergency management entities without backup power plants to sustain their facilities will have a tough time.

Was hearing the radio just now and there's the slight chance that thing may graze us. But still as a Cat. 4 storm, if not Cat 5 again. But the percentage is still quite high that it'll tear through us southeast to northwest, bringing up to 25 inches of rain. Massive flooding on low-lying rural and urban areas (and even landslides) due to over-saturated terrain are a very real possibility. So...yeah, Mavjade and any other DMATs will have plenty to do both here and on the VI.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If Maria hits the US, the country has nothing but itself to blame. It would be the third of the season.

Harvey
    Irma
    Maria

And also be wary of the coming storms starting with P, R, T and U.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Maria's now a category 5 aimed at U.S. Virgin islands, though the storm seems to be tracking away from the U.S. east coast.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Jose is about to hit the Northeast too, though thankfully not at hurricane-levels.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    And next year we'll get continental superhurricanes!

16. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Maria now has sustained winds of 160 mph. I live in Puerto Rico too. Goodbye JCC.

[​IMG]

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Man, the memes are about one of the few things keeping me going. But we'll get through this. We have to. Keep yourself and yours safe, please.

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yoda's_Roomate, Darth_Invidious please be safe.

Jose is far enough out to sea it will brush past us. We will get N'or Easter conditions: heavy rain on and off, some wind and maybe flooding. Now New England? Well wishes for folks there.

Point Given and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    If you all are lucky, Jose will do the exact same thing he's being doing all this time: absolutely nothing. Lazily surfing the Gulf Stream until he meets his demise in the icy north, all the while chuckling at the ruckus the mistress and wife he scorned caused in his wake. Yeah, (lame) gallows humor is all I got left at this point.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Not exactly nothing. NC-12 in the Outerbanks is washed out again.

That said, it'll be a pain for North Carolina to fix (again), but it could be worse. Prayers to are Caribbean JCC members for what they're going through with Maria.

Master_Lok likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Maria Antonietta what do you have to say to Jules about that? I want to hear your side.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't wait for October

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hurricane season doesn't end until the end of November.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Me neither. Some of my favorite shows come back then. However Hurricane season ends on November 30th (and yes, there have been October and November Hurricanes)