main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/dolla...y-utility-company-linked-to-major-trump-donor

you're in great hands, invid. infant-like, tiny hands.

stay strong, my friend.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Trying to buddy. Trying to. But gods if our patience has been worn thin. As in spider web thread thin. And yeah, that crap regarding the shady sybcontracts our pathetic, broke-@$$ power company had pulled has been the talk of the day down here.

Jesus Christ, these ****** politico jerks and their bullcrap.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Ugh, Tropical Storm Philippe may produce a Nor'Easter here on the fifth anniversary of Sandy. Not looking forward to that tomorrow into Monday (I bet my sister and brother-in-law who were hit stupid hard by Sandy aren't either.) YAY! :rolleyes:

Positive thoughts for everyone in the potential areas.

Darth_Invidious - I think these damn politicos need to walk more than a mile in your shoes. Utterly disgusting. Well wishes for speedy recovery and an easier time for you, your family and your neighbors. Big time hugs sir.

Juliet316 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Local politicos - like their stateside counterparts - will never do so. They will always find a way to sleep soundly at night and enjoy their perks - whether conveniently connected by the local power authority or gas guzzling generators - while a few million of their constituents suffer thirsty or hunger, trying to pass the night in utter darkness without a roof on their heads...unless of course they're lucky enough to have been awarded a FEMA blue tarp to put over their heads and protect them from the elements.

Sadly but unsurprisingly, the oh so fishy Whitefish contacting scandal isn't making the waves it should. The governor, Trump and his secretary of the interior have effectively washed their hands of the whole affair, when clearly the whole thing was the idea of one or the three of them and it'll be eventually filed under fake news. Sad!

5. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    (replying here so as not to derail Politics thread)

I'm not a JCC oldbie, so I know you don't "know" me (since I tend to "lurk and like" in the Politics thread more than actually post), but I have enjoyed your posts in that thread and just wanted to say that I'm glad to hear you are ok, but of course also very sad to hear your description of how things are on the ground there. Good to see you back and I hope things improve there as quickly as possible!

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Been watching these fires in and around LA - this is the most recent evacuation map for what officials are calling the the Skirball wildfire that broke out along the 405 this morning:

[​IMG]

Red is "get out now," Yellow is "get ready to move," according to the Mayor.

UCLA has cancelled their MBB game tonight, this is really close to that campus - imagine they're moving students to be safe. DarthTunick, unsure of where you or any other JCers are relative to this, but stay safe - even that smoke density has got to be pretty bad.

This is the evac zone for the Creek fire, which is much larger and looks to be moving along interstate 210 N/NW of Burbank:

[​IMG]

Goes without saying, thoughts are with all of you.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    2017 has convinced me that fires are the biggest threat to most California cities rather than earthquakes and obviously they'll be an increasing threat in the future.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Certainly need to bound ahead a bit with our fire control technology. Good news is, lots of geniuses around in California.

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Eradicating all plant life around CA cities would so easily solve this problem.

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There are plenty of ways to mitigate the threat that simply aren't being followed. For example, don't build houses in historically fire-prone areas. (There are much better ways to address the housing crisis.) I remember reading that the burn pattern of the recent Santa Rosa fire was similar to one in the 1970s, only the city had grown considerably since then so the damage was much greater. Other things such as fire resistant siding and roofs and keeping brush clear a certain distance from buildings help but are often not followed.

Valairy Scot and heels1785 like this.
  11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    heels1785 I live in Reseda, so I'm far enough away from the flames from that fire, and the Creek Fire in the Sylmar area. Smoke is manageable enough here, but a bit worse for my dad & his girlfriend (they live in Oxnard, next to Thomas Fire in Ventura), and for an aunt & cousins up in Santa Clarita (Rye Fire). Sadly an old Walmart co-worker lost his house because of the Creek Fire, but thankfully he & all members of his family are accounted for.

12. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    I have been following the wildfires closely through the news and am sending my best wishes all the way from New Zealand to those who have lost their homes or loved ones in the wildfires.

A few of my fellow rural firefighters want to jump on a plane and head over to California to help in fighting the fires (myself included) but the fire service is clamping down on self-deployment. It is a shame because all we want to do is help our fellow humans in their time of need.

poor yorick likes this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Next 18-24 hrs look really dangerous. SA winds projected at 50-60 mph gusts at lower elevation, 75-80 at higher. Low humidity, high temperatures. Sounds like an awful formula for containment.

Air quality also becoming a serious concern - 150 is the top end of "unhealthy for sensitive (respiratory) groups," from there on up is bad for everyone. The last 24 hr average for the whole region was 147.

[​IMG]

14. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    I have just received a text message from my partner; she and her family are being evacuated from Oceanside due to the raging wildfires. It's at a time like this I wish I could grab all my firefighting kit, jump on a plane and head over to California to help fight the fires.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hope she makes it out safe.

16. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    sending happy thoughts and well wish's my friend.

17. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    Thank you Blue - I appreciate it :)

bluealien1 likes this.
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I was near an evac zone but it has since been made smaller, so it's pretty far away now. I've certainly been closer to fires in the Santa Barbara area when I lived there, and I definitely find them to be the most frightening natural disaster. Way worse than tornadoes, which I've been less than a mile awsy from... But which pass within about 20 minutes. These fires could literally go on 20 *days*.

Anyway, right now the biggest issue for me is the air quality since I have asthma. I switched my flights back to KC for the holidays so I'm getting out of here early and will hopefully be able to breathe better.

I'm most concerned about my friends in the Ventura/Carpinteria/Ojai area. I used to live up there and still have friends there who have been on alert to evac at any time for days. It's nerve-wrecking.

19. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017

Thank you Juliet :)

I have received another text; they are currently stuck in traffic, trying to make their way to a friend's house.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The AQ thing is really noticable. I was in Xi'an two months ago and the AQI on a daily basis there was 150 - 200 or so (normally)... so I can commiserate with how terrible it's got to be there right now... oy...

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hope they made it OK..

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    Hi,I live in north Alabama and there is at least two inch's of snow on my lawn.would I don't know,some one please call DAARP and tell them their weather machine is broken and to fix this.Thanks.........

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Boba Nekhbet did you go out this morning and make a snow angel?

Boba Nekhbet and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Sending well wishes to everyone in California. Stay safe!

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well we sure do have a lot of snow here in England today .

very pretty tho .

26. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It was a snow/sleet/rain mix in my area. Had a slushy drive to the supermarket this morning. I think there's still a bit on the lawn but it didn't really stick on the roads.