main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Socks and shoes are your friends on cold weather.[face_shame_on_you]

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Nah, too stifling! My feet have gotten used to the cold (also, disclaimer: I can get away with it during these Carolina winters--if I lived north of DC, it'd be a different story, I'm sure!). Although this year and last I have had problems with really dry skin on my feet during the colder months. That more than anything else might be enough to thrust me into socks--well, maybe. Probably not though. :p

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Enjoying my snow day so far. Not as bad as the two storms a few weeks ago.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    My town got around a foot and a half of snow through this morning. Delayed opening at the office and I shoveled early for about an hour or so.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    We're looking at 5-8"...I ran outside this a..m. did a quick sweep of the steps and dragged the garbage out. They probably won't pick up today, despite my hearing the trucks earlier.

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    No thundersnow, but it was deceiving how slow it was coming down and how much accumulated. My wife shoveled twice yesterday in between her meetings, and I shoveled once. Our shovel was on its last legs digging my car out this morning. I heard a crack and it's definitely time to replace it. I had an 8 AM car appt for oil change/tie rotation/blah blah, so I wanted to clean off as much snow as I could, especially the roof because I hate people who don't, especially when you're behind that person.

The main road (King St) through Malvern was good, not great. Thankfully, the Mainline (Rte 30) was a lot better. Not a lot of cars out, probably because of the 2 hour delays for schools, so it wasn't a bad drive this morning. No line in the drive thru at DD was very cool.

Edit: We got about 9-10 total inches.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Master_Lok likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm pretty sure my town left a message on my machine that the next garbage pickup would be Sunday. I think the sanitation department is too busy burying all of the cars still parked on the side roads following the storm.

8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Who has built a snowman? I would like to see pictures.

Juliet316 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Danna?
    Do you wanna build a snowman?
    Come on, let's go and play!

Sith_Sensei__Prime and DANNASUK like this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    No time today or tomorrow for me. Maybe if enough snow is still there over the weekend I'll build a snowman.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Better than paper towels

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    A town is being evacuated in Maryland due to buildings possibly collapsing because of flooding.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Saw that over on CNN. Apparently the same area was flooded about two years ago.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Very scary, both how quickly the water rose and the speed of that current. Terrible for the people of Ellicott City, MD.

We’ll get a nice whack from the outer bands of Alberto today, but at least it’s a holiday, people can stay in. Good napping weather.

Rew, Juliet316, LAJ_FETT and 2 others like this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Heart goes out to folks in Maryland. Hope everyone in the path of Alberto is okay too.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Thanks to the heatwave of the past weeks, we now have several wildfires blazing just north of where I live (Värmland, Sweden).

[​IMG]

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hope those don't come anywhere near your home..

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    They won't, as I live on the other side of a pretty wide river, but it's still awful. It looks as if at least a few families will lose their homes today.

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    We had Thor here last night . A guy actually drowned in his car .

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Sweden is burning.
    More than fifty wildfires in Sweden as we speak. More or less every firefighter in Sweden, as well as several from Denmark, Norway, Lithuania, Germany, France and Italy are working around the clock, but it just keeps getting worse. And the heatwave and lack of rain seems to continue.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We've had some grass fires in the London area. Currently we're under a t-storm warning til midnight (I think) but my area hasn't seen any rain so far. A downpour would be welcome at this point.

24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    In Florida, you can be in the front yard and it'll be sunny, but move to the back yard, and it's raining cats and dogs. :p Okay, it's not quite like that, but almost... ;)

Seriously, I hope you get some rain soon.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    When I was a kid we used to vacation in the Ft Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area of Florida. You could see the t-storms coming for miles.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    PCCViking likes this.