main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Weather/Natural Disaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Apr 29, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I rode out a couple of Category 3s while living 20 miles from the ocean. I was in my mid-20s and pretty much an idiot overall, and hurricane parties were a thing.

In the Carolinas there are at least a couple of stories of people who evacuated further inland due to a hurricane and then the hurricane ****ing followed them, so they were worse off inland than they were on the coast.

One such story involves my considering evacuating to my parents' house, deciding against it, and the next my Dad taking pictures of his Honda Del Sol next to a pile of fallen trees. My parents were out of power for about a week, I was out for about 12 hours at my sea-level duplex.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's not 2015 anymore, but maybe this can just be the Hurricane thread?

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ^Shazam!

This storm looks really nasty. One benefit of storms that impact the Carolinas is that they typically drag up the Florida coast before impacting us, which weakens them. This is a straight shot in from the Gulf like Katrina was.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    With just about the same human and economic impact too.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    How can you tell if the people being rescued on television are simply idiots or actually have an understandable reason for not leaving?

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Who says I watch people being rescued on television?

Edit: I cba with a back and forth. I was specifically referring to people that refuse to evacuate due to stubbornness. Those too poor/sick/elderly to evacuate themselves hopefully live within an area that has a local government with an evacuation plan, that has first responders making sure all who want out get out, and uses resources such as school buses to make it happen.

Sorry to piss on your chips.

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    As someone who made it through Hurricane Sandy, wishing everyone in the Texas and Louisiana coasts and potentially impacted inland areas all the best.

Kenneth Morgan and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Superstorm Sandy ;)

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Category 4 storm at landfall, slow, and enormous. A nightmare storm, just like Katrina - just hitting a more sparsely populated area, and it hopefully weakens before hitting Houston.

If anyone needs a live feed of TWC, here:

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Super (villain) storm Sandy...:cool:

Re: Harvey...oh gosh. Category 4. Doubling my wishes for folks safety there.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It will be fine. Is there a better person to handle the aftermath than Trump?

Rew and Rylo Ken like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You guys safe down their, Diggy?

Diggy likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sure their diggy is fine, Montie. My diggy is in the toolshed at the moment.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I got my answer via Facebook. Heavy rain but safe.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Watching the news. Houston looks completely under water.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We aren't actually down there. We have had an unusual amount of rain today, but not from Harvey yet. Carmen was prepping for evacuation I believe.

Master_Lok and dp4m like this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And North Carolina/Virginia is getting a potential tropical storm Monday night/Tuesday.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Hey, better safe than sorry! Plus she loves her kids more than you like yours.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    For the hundredth time, I'm not selling them to you! Not until you offer FMV.

dp4m likes this.
  21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It looks like Harvey is going to back out over the water again and therefore probably strengthen, which means still more rain.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The images are truly horrifying.

Watched the DHS/HSS/FEMA/NWS presser this morning - Mr. Long comes across as a "take charge" personality, which will hopefully translate into aggressive and comprehensive FEMA support for the local and state authorities in Texas and Louisiana.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, believe it or not I didn't even know we HAD a FEMA director -- I thought 45 had left that post unmanned as well. But, by all accounts, people are very optimistic about him being in charge -- just the government cuts all of his budget...

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Those big gummit-hating, self-bootstrapping Texans don't need FEMA. Also don't for a moment think that climate change has the slightest thing to do with Harvey. This happened because God doesn't think Texas is conservative enough.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's an interesting thing... every TX Senator / Rep voted against FEMA's helping other people (especially Sandy victims), I believe. I wonder if that can be written into the FEMA charter -- if you vote against sending aid somewhere, your state is automatically exempt... :p