main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sex Education in Our School System

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Amidala-Leia, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    earlier you stated that students will have sex no matter how they taught, so why not give them the information to prevent the spread of disease?

2. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Yes, Kessel-Runner, as you well know ;) I'm a religious type and I have no problem with the way we did it. And as I said, none of the parents freaked out either. So I have yet to see these "religious types" that are against it.

2) 20-40 minutes a WEEK? In what twisted school district is that? We got 5 hours of it a week. And, as I said before, we had biology in 5th grade, 7th grade, and 9th grade, and of course we have optional AP bio in 12th.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If you teach it as an option, okay. If you make it out to be something you should do or must do, then no.

4. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Well 5th grade in CA is still a one teacher per class (not in periods) kind of system, and in Los Angeles it is mandated that we teach reading for 3 hours a day, math for 1 1/2 hours, and then the rest of the day has to share all other subjects (including PE).

5. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    Most students dont pay attention in these classes. Most teenagers are foolish. You would be surprised at how foolish some teenagers can be. The other day I saw some of the people I share a bus with hopping around my neighbors deck. One of them actually turned on their mower and rode around on it a little bit. Teenagers, for the most part, have little common sense. Even teenagers with common sense will be annoyed by these classes, as I was. Thankfully I dont have to deal with them this year or my senior year though.

6. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    I have no problem with giving them the information. I have a question for everyone. Do you think condoms should be passed out in addition to information about how to prevent pregnancy and STD's.

7. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    well, even as liberal/leftist as I am, not sure that handing out condoms to 5th graders is a very good idea. However, when it comes to high school, I think it is.

8. McNerf-Burger

Nov 13, 2000
    Ah, no way! You mean actually pass them out in class!? That would definetely not go over with the parents. I would refuse to take one. How embarassing that would be!

9. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    I didn't say I was for it. Right now I'm not sure how I feel. I know it wouldn't sit well with all parents. But some parents would rather their kids to be protected than to come home and tell them that they were pregnant.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Absolutely not.

An entire faith (Catholic) teaches against artificial contraceptives, and even if you don't understand or agree with it, it should still be respected. Contraceptives can be taught about, I believe, but no endorsed in any way. People can make judgements for themselves.

11. McNerf-Burger

Nov 13, 2000
    I think its going way to far. The school should not be interfering in student lifes outside of school. Its not their place, or responsibility to do so.

12. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Sex education is part of science. It should be taught right along with biology and any anatomy classes. I went to a private religious school that had a great sex ed program. The anatomy teacher had us learning about every part of the anatomy. Nothing was left out and it was all delt with on a scientific/professional level (many of my classmates were sons and daughters of MDs, DDSs, and nurses). Our biology teacher taught it right along with every other physiological process (including the hormonal cycles for both male and female-FSH rocks). This was all taught along with a little microbio and the STDs that accompany that subject. Granted these programs were taught in the 9th and 10th grade due to the complexity of it all, but no one came away scarred for life. The notion that it shouldn't be taught in school is lunacy, sheer lunacy.

13. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    I don't think they should be handed out in a classroom, but they should be available through the counselors office, for example.

14. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    For us, in 7th grade, our teacher handed out condoms from 1984 (ewww...) just so we could see what one looked like. I personally don't agree with just passing them out because I've heard to many kids say things like "Yeah, when they pass 'em out, I'm just like...ok...thanks...I'll be sure to use this." Plus I think that if you do the sex ed successfully, you shouldn't HAVE to pass out condoms, the kids should be smart enough to know to get them themselves.

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    But would students be encouraged to "go to the counselors' office" to pick one or a few up, in that case?

16. McNerf-Burger

Nov 13, 2000
    I dont think the school should be involved in such matters in any way, beyond the scientific stuff in science classes. It just isnt any of their business, and it isnt their place to give out condoms and what not. If some teen wants to go out and engage in such antics, they can go to the drug store and get them then.

17. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Handing out condoms should not be insulting to Catholics. If they feel that it is immoral to use them, then they can simply refuse to do so, but the objections of one group should not be used to prevent everyone from protecting themselves.

18. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    An addendum: No one was passing out condoms in our sex ed classes. Granted that was over 10 years ago now and things could be different, but I doubt it.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Good point, Ariana. With good enough education (whether in school or home), people can take care of things themselves.

20. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    I agree with Kessel that they should be available in the counselor's office, but not passed out directly in the classroom. Not all kids will take heed to the teachings offered in sex ed. I don't think they should be encouraged to stop by and pick them up. It should be made known that they are there, but not encouraged.

21. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Who are you to say what should and what should not be insulting? I'm a Catholic and I would be offended if I were a student and I had a teacher or anyone teaching a sex-ed class encourage or endorse the use of contraceptives. Give the information about it, but let people make their own judgements and decisions. People's faith and beliefs should not be pushed over just because it's cultural or convenient.

22. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Jeeez McNerf, please listen to what I am saying (and many others here). We're not talking about teenagers. Teenagers are too late. Do it when they are still 11 and 12.

23. McNerf-Burger

Nov 13, 2000
    11 and 12 year olds would be even worse. I dont think the school has any business teaching this stuff.

24. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I am all for letting people make their own judgements, making condoms available is not the same as making someone use them.
    Your objection is based on the fact that you, because of your religious beliefs, feels that it is immoral, but surely there are many other things in this society that you also object to for the same reasons, and you choose not to engage in those activities. Why should this be treated any differently?

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Now you're telling me why I believe the way I do. Is there anything else you'd like to tell me about myself?

No, I feel the way I do because I don't believe any one belief or position has any business being endorsed or encouraged. Give people information and leave it at that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.