main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sex Education: Your views?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by KnightWriter, Dec 16, 2005.

?

Sex Education: Your views?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Comprehensive Sex Education

88.9%
  2. Abstinence-only

1.9%
  3. Shouldn't be in schools at all

5.6%
  4. Other

3.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    So, what are your views on sex education? Comprehensive sex education generally entails information about reproduction, contraception, abstinence and various other aspects of sex/sexuality. Abstinence-only is what the name implies, and the other two are clear enough.

2. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Comprehensive sex education all the way. It's best if kids know how to protect themselves from diseases and pregnancy when becoming intimate(especially if they not in monogamous relationship) with their partner(s).

3. QuiGonDave

QuiGonDave Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2004
    Completely agree to the above. Very important.

4. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    Yup, I agree as well. Comprehensive Sex Education.

5. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Comprehensive Sex Education. It's one of the most important things you can learn in school.

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Comprehensive nothing`s more akward than hearing your parents talk about sex

7. ARC170pilot

ARC170pilot Jedi Master star 5

Sep 23, 2005
    What does comprehensive mean? I voted for it anyway :D

8. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    Comprehensive Sex Education.

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Comprehensive. No matter what, some people are going to want to have pre-marital sex. Regardless of how many times you drill "pre-marital sex is bad", "don't smoke", "drugs are bad", etc. into children's minds, it can't always overcome their sense of curiosity or peer-pressure. The more kids know, the better prepared they will be for future situations. I also think that, although it is very uncomfortable and not something anyone looks forward to, parents need to sit down and discuss these sorts of things with their children. I have far more respect for my parents than my teachers, and I am more likely to take what they say seriously. (Of course, if parents would just sit down and talk or interact with their children more often, that would also help a lot of other problems beyond the scope of this thread.)

If a religion wants to teach abstinence only during Sunday School, that's fine, as long as the kids still get to learn about the rest of it somewhere else.

10. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Comprehensive. I think YodaJeff and MariahJSkywalker pretty much summed up my views on the subject. I only want to add two things as a future teacher of this very subject. First, I think the school should have a good dialogue with parents in regards to this and explain what topics will be dealt with during which years (you need to return to sex education a number of times throughout school as the children grow). Secondly, sex education can become more interesting if it involves social, moral and biological aspects and is related to other dilemmas that kids and teenagers face.

11. Eire

Eire Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2005
    Tell it my teacher. i had something like it, but she told us lots of storys about don't wear short skirts becouse boys could be nervous. Everyone was educated itself, usually from magazines.

12. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Comprehensive. Extreme ignorance is never a good thing the first time someone has a sexual experience.

13. LumpyMaiden

LumpyMaiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Comprehensive Sex Education. It should have an abstinence component, but you need to give other information also.

14. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Comprehensive.

Even if you don't want to have pre-marital sex, what's wrong with knowing ways to protect yourself? :confused:

It's just like the first aid. No one plans to have an accident ;) Well that wasn't the best example... But you know what I mean.

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Comprehensive. Abstinence is more trouble than it's worth. Teenagers are going to be teenagers, no matter what religious ideals are imposed on them, so it's better they know what they're doing.

16. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Would you buy a CAR without test driving it first ?? o_O

Why do you think that people always call their vehicles females.... especially when they break down... [face_laugh]

Try before you buy... I always say.

17. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    Comprehensive sex ed should be taught. I grew up not knowing what a vagina looked like because of poor sex education. [face_frustrated

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Kids should be shielded from all things natural about their lives.

19. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Comprehensive.

20. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Comprehensive. It makes no sense to teach abstinece-only, since in reality it doesn't happen that way.

21. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Comprehensive, at our school we were OFFICIALY being taught that in Grade 5 but in Grade 4 our teacher spoke about it for four whole hours Going through break/recess. Her views were that, it happened to create you and me. So some Dumb@$$ asked her about Surrogate birth, she took another hour and a half to do that, at least we didn't get homework that day lol,[face_laugh]

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Comprehensive sex education is the way to go.

23. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    My school sexual education was like: condoms are bad and pills cause cancer. That was really sad. :(

24. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    Comprehensive. They talked about everything in my sex ed class. Though they never came out and said how sex was performed. i.e. penetration.

25. Daniel_L

Daniel_L Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005

oh my word, we learnt exactly how it happened, what it does, everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.