main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sex Education: Your views?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by KnightWriter, Dec 16, 2005.

?

Sex Education: Your views?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Comprehensive Sex Education

88.9%
  2. Abstinence-only

1.9%
  3. Shouldn't be in schools at all

5.6%
  4. Other

3.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthfrede

darthfrede Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Definitely "Comprehensive Sex Education".
    As a gay guy I feel it's VERY important that kids (even fairly young ones) are informed about homosexuality.
    In that particular aspect, my school's sex education wasn't very comprehensive. And let me tell you, it isn't fun having "weird feelings" towards your mates when your 10... and not having a clue what's going on. And at 10, you're not going to seek out the school nurse yourself, and ask her whether your feelings are "normal". You need someone to seek you out.
    I was approx. 17 before I accepted who I am. And at 21, I haven't even told all my friends yet.
    More comprehensive sex education could help alot of depressed gay teens I'm sure.

2. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    [:D] frede and let us hope the freedom (and therefore knowlegde) wins

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Definitely Comprehensive Sex Education.

4. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I voted for comprehensive sex education, but I have one caveat. It has to be completely neutral in presentation. It can't approve of or condemn anything; in other words, it shouldn't take sides. Sex is neither good nor bad, pre-marital or otherwise. Contraception has these pros and these cons, but the class shouldn't be saying "use contraception." There are these various kinds of sex, they have these potential effects but none of them are things you should or shouldn't do. Values, religion, etc. are fair game to be acknowledged and discussed, but the class should not approve or disapprove of any of them. In short: The class I demand is sex education, and shouldn't have any sort of indoctrination or encouragement slant, ,whether away from sex or in favor of safe sex or whatever. It's about giving kids the relevant information and tools and encouraging them to make decisios with those tools.

-Paul

5. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    I voted other. The class should be strictly scientific/academic. No discussion of morality, no slanting the education towards a particular goal. Just the facts. And leave complex psychology out of it unless it's a high-school AP course or something.

The school's purpose is to educate, and in this case the subjects are health and biology (which is, of course, related to health.) The rest is irrelevant in an academic setting.

darth_paul, I am pretty much in agreement.

6. PadawanKaterina

PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2005
    Comprehensive Sex Education. I think pre-marital sex is stupid, not to mention moral-less, but obviously stupid and moral-less things happen everyday, so teens should be prepared.

7. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    Comprehensive Sex Education for sure.

8. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Comprehensive, got to try to cut down on teenage pregnancy and the spreading of STD's over here.

9. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    free for all !! [face_dancing]

10. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Comprehensive Sex Education =D=

11. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    Comprehensive.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    If the teacher is hot, I'm all for it.

Oh, comprehensive I guess.

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    We've always been very open and honest with our kids so they've always known more than most of the kids in their sex-ed class. :p But a lot of parents can't or won't do that so the schools need to step in and make sure kids are getting adequate and accurate information. My daughter's friends still ask her the oddest questions, and you'd think they would know that some of what they're worried about isn't possible (and some of what they aren't worried about they should be!) but they don't.

Complete and comprehensive is the way to go!

14. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    My feelings have already been pretty well summed up, so I'll just say this: you can hope everything will go to plan and your kids won't have sex until marriage, but you'd be a damned fool and an irresponsible parent to shield them from things that can stop them ruining their lives. Teenagers need to know what will happen if they have sex, and more importantly they need to know what to do if it happens.

15. ARC170pilot

ARC170pilot Jedi Master star 5

Sep 23, 2005
    Same here, until I became more 'willing to learn' that might be a good way to put it, but yeah, I didnt learn anything in school

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Comprehensive. People are going to have sex regardless of how many times a teacher stands there and tells them it is bad. If anything, they should be taught how to do it safely and repsonsibly so there aren't a bunch of pregnant girls showing up (there are several at my school right now).

17. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I've gotta say comprehensive, as it will leave them prepared for it and hopefully end up reducing teen pregnancy. I however also think it should be factual and show the positives and negatives of the various kinds but not saying that it is immoral to use contraception or to not use it. I however think they should present in real world terms not just the biological though that should be included as well.

18. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Comprehensive. As much as I'm glad to see that most people agree with this, we're not getting any good debate here about ethics or so since those who disagree don't dare post an answer. This thread can't continue very long if everybody just keeps posting the same thing about why comprehensive sex education is the best choice.

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    This isn't a thread for debate/discussion. There's a Senate thread meant for just this subject, so you can always visit that if you'd like :).

This thread is just for people to post their poll choice and why they voted the way they did.

20. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Sex Ed saves lives!!

21. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005

Sweet, sweet 13-year old. Smart people don't get married very young anymore. You need to be a whole person first before you can share your life with somebody else. For most people it takes a long time to figure out who they are...late 20s, 30s and even 40s. It is not realistic that people should wait that long, we are human and we have needs. You will understand that there are urges that are not immoral or ugly just because there is no wedding band on your finger.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    At my friend's school, students were allowed to choose whether they wanted to go to the safe sex talk or the abstinence talk. This seems like a somewhat good idea.

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I think it should be parents in the first place, to explain things about sex to their children, not schools.

24. Jaide

Jaide Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2004
    Comprehensive Sex Education

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.