main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sexism policy

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Thank you for the summary of the thread to date.

However, as advice, worrying about "political correctness" does raise red flags in sensible people.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    As a political moderate, I think liberals sometimes have a sense of entitlement in online forums because they are generally the majority(younger, more educated), so I think restraint is called for when deciding if someone's views are tolerable or not. Mod intervention shouldn't happen on an every day basis.

GGrievous and deathraygun like this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm going to intervene right here for a moment...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

in other word, "political correctness gone mad"?

5. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not "younger," although by all means people are free to think so. [face_laugh] There really is no room for "b...bu...but..." statements when it comes to sexism (or racism).

Don't be sexist. This is not a difficult or complicated concept.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    I agree people shouldn't be sexist. But I don't think that people should be made to feel like they have inferior views when it comes to a discussion on sexism.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have yet to see a discussion on sexism in which people are made to feel inferior when they are not posting sexist views.

9. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    That's the whole point. You think any opinion that's not yours is sexist.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and deathraygun like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No. We think sexist opinions are sexist. It's a rather reasonable outlook.

12. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    That's circular reasoning if I ever heard it.

deathraygun likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No. Just don't post an opinion that woulf be construed by most people here (or most of 21st century society) as sexist. It really isn't difficult. Attempts to make sexist opinions the problem of the perceiver are hilarious though.

14. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    Attempts to label people to meet your own political agenda is just as hilarious.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, I rest my case.

Maybe you could clarify for the moderating team which questionably-sexist opinions you want to have the right to post though.

16. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    If I want to post women are more emotional than men, I should be allowed.

If I want to post women should be allowed to live in a traditional lifestyle without being made to feel inferior, I should be allowed.

If I want to post that fathers should be allowed to have more say in weather a child is aborted, I should be allowed.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Should you also be allowed to post that "black people are more violent"? I see no benefit to posting terribly wrong and bigoted stereotypes unless you are just trying to troll the group you are stereotyping.

I'd agree that you should be allowed to post the last two statements.

Frank T. likes this.
  19. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    Well I'm glad we agree then.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty sure that no one has ever posted that women cannot choose a nontraditional lifestyle, and I'm also pretty sure that the subject of a man having say-so in abortion has never come up.

Is your biggest concern the ability to make those two stances?

And there's really no insulation from poster ire in taking any stance, outside the usual flaming/baiting rules.

The issue here is what should draw attention of the moderators.

People have posted both racist and sexist stereotypes and been called out by other posters as they should have been, without moderator intervention.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    They should, because they do.

If you hold sexist views, make no mistake. You're an idiot. If you are made to feel stupid for holding outdated and arbitrarily discriminatory views, there's a very elegant solution to this. Make peace with your shortcomings or drag yourself, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

Simples.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Not all standards should shift due to 'time period'.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  23. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    Some stereotypes are true. Now, as long as you recognize it's a stereotype and doesn't apply to everyone, there's nothing wrong with agreeing with a stereotype. Young white men are more likely to be mass shooters, women are more likely to be victims of violence, there are dozens of others. Before decrying every stereotype maybe the discussion should be why the stereotype is there.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The viewpoint that women are second-class citizens or otherwise should be barred from the same rights and privileges that men hold in society, absolutely should be left back in the antiquated time period where it belongs though.

Which of those viewpoints warrant moderator intervention is what we're discussing.

And the only benefit to posting stereotypes is to demonstrate a lack of ability to view people as individuals instead of boxing them into categories convenient to a very narrow and often antiquated world view.

Whether they should be banned, I don't know, but they certainly demonstrate an inability to win an argument.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    but it's completely pointless to deal in stereotypes because it excludes a large amount of people, sometimes almost all. it makes you come off as close-minded and pre-judgemental (is that a word?), and is therefore useless in a serious discussion.