main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sexism policy

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

You're not a victim here, you earned your reputation.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Drop this. I will discuss issue offline with you but not in-thread

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You probably want to chat to the admins too, Baz, if you're going to go down that path.

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    That's not a tactic I was employing, if you take the time to read what I wrote you'd know this.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We've established that we can't moderate thought.

A statement such as "the JC Forums are committed to gender equality" should take care of any religion- or culture-based statements that promote/encourage/endorse gender inequality.

V-2 likes this.
  6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    it's interesting to note the old adages of "I may not agree with what you say but I defend to the death your right to say it" and "sticks and stones..." are all alive and well in this thread :p

7. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I think one of the problems in discussions like these where there's a cry of "but what of people who may have a different opinion?" And the like is, such attitudes operate under a (false) assumption that every opinion is equally valid and, as such, every opinion deserves equal care and consideration. Well, the truth is they're not.

There ARE things in this world where "IMHOTFLMAO" won't cut it. An opinion founded in ignorance should never be given the same attention and regard as one brought out of education and careful thought.

Because if every point of view is equal then I'm going to bring back Phrenology!

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Since great care was taken to stress that the right to offend is not extended to these boards, and we do not defend people's right to cling to offensive, outdated, stupid or traditional beliefs here... sure, ok, I guess?

9. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Right to be wrong is not the same thing as right to offend, by the way.

10. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't believe anyone was confusing the two. Unless I'm wrong. Which would be my right...

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We have received very real complaints from a very real demographic of our very real boards that they have been very really offended by a very real set of circumstances.

We can discuss hypothetical persons' hypothetical qualms with hypothetical issues once we have met the needs of the actual people who have actually asked for us to help make their experience on here a safer one. The lack of any reports from men informing us of how sad male objectification makes them feel is why we are attempting to deal with the specific issues that have actually been brought to our attention which have negatively affected their experience on here. If this sudden emergence of hypothetical scenarios of non-specific "men" being offended by non-specific scenarios had been brought to our attention earlier, we would have been discussing how to meet their hypothetical needs.

And, as far as "traditions" of treating people unequally go... just because certain warped outlooks presuppose that it is harmless for grandparents or whoever to be sexist, racist, homophobic, etc. does not negate the fact that such opinions are harmful toward others. And we will gladly ban these seniors, if ever they should post such rubbish here. Since this entire discussion is about the content of these forums and not about anywhere, anyone, or anything else.

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    the problem i have with male objectification, is that it never happens to me

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm trying to figure out where in this linked item or any other page in that thread is gender discrimination. You know, what sexism actually means?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  14. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Another point that irks me while we're on the subject is the hypothetical examples that were given of male objectification (telling dudes to "grow a pair" or "man up" and the like) don't really help much with that argument. Pretty much the ONLY ones I hear or see telling men to "man up" or "stop being such a GIRL" are, surprise surprise, other men! Simply put, no one does more work at reinforcing the stereotypes of men. In my experience, women tend to care far less about that malarkey.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Stop being a GIRL" or "Man up" are actually misogynistic, not signs of misandry. It assumes that we women are weak and need to be 'strong like men', and that being "feminine" is a sign of weakness.

But no matter, because hypothetical examples of any kind just drag out the thread.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You also struggled to:

1) see how your comment to zapdos ("darling") was sexist and patronising;
    2) see how any of your posting history was sexist

Based on these points, that you see nothing wrong with your thread/posts is emblematic of a wider issue, VLM.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's called objectification. There is absolutely no discussion in that thread. Its only purpose it look at "hot celebrities."

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    In my opinion those "hot celebrity" threads need to go the way of the dodo. They have absolutely no redeeming social value.

19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Agreed. The internet is a vast shopping centre brimming over with all manner of sexual exploitation and sexual objectification material. There is no need to allow it here.

20. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    From what I've seen of those celebrity threads, they're certainly creepy (and very tacky).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Not much good could possibly come from the concept.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I believe I alluded to it as a "spank bank" before. If you're a client of said bank, then I'm sure you appreciate it's service in the way you'd appreciate the leaked celebrity nudes. What? If they didn't want them to be seen or hacked, they wouldn't have taken them. What? No, I don't see anything sexist or wrong with what I've said here.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Ender-

Can you please use a more family friendly term for "xxxxx bank"?

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, I really can't find a more family-friendly way to infer these people only share and hoard images of physically attractive women for masturbatory purposes.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that term is much more offensive than others. well you will be modded. get used to it or get out. ;)