main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sexism policy

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Ender Sai, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm going to be honest here - I can't figure out why you brought it up unless in support of an agenda or similar alterior motive?

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    You assign whatever agenda or ulterior motive to it you like to it for me - your going to anyway.

I just thought it relevant to the discussion at hand.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought the Leia issue was settled? That people are still able to post Leia pictures, even those of her in a bikini?

People have been making comments about hot Star Wars characters, male and female, for years. I've made a few such comments myself.

I could see a ban on "let's ogle Ewan McGregor" posts included in this (just an example). Maybe incorporate a "no objectifying real famous people, including Star Wars actors" rule incorporated into the "no bashing Star Wars celebrities" rule.

But there are bigger issues than "this character is sexy." Much bigger.

4. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I wasn't aware that site staff had made a final determination on the issues being brought up at this point.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think they have, I was just under the impression from posts on the last page that people did not need to be concerned about not being able to post Leia pictures.

I'm on board with half-naked Ewan being subjected to the same restrictions/scrutiny as, say, Natalie Portman in a bikini.

I think it gets a bit fuzzy when we're talking about scenes that were actually in the movies though, or in the example you gave, comic books.

bluuu likes this.
  6. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I remain of the view that there is nothing wrong at all with a little "affirmative action" when it comes to moderating sexism which is aimed at the objectification of women. In the same way that affirmative action is appropriate to address systemic and cultural discrimination against women in the workforce, it is perfectly fine to single out threads which deal with female actors in the JCC. The whole "you must address sexism against women and men equally" argument is only valid where such sexism exists in equal proportions in society. We all know this is not the case and so it is appropriate to focus on the systemic sexism against women as this is way more prevalent.

In other words, when the scales are imbalanced you need to put more weight on one side to bring the balance back.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And also, it was already pretty clearly responded to, insofar as taking a red herring and giving it the courtesy of a serious answer. I just don't see what else could be added.

8. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    For some reason I'm clearly unwelcome in this discussion by you Ender, so I will depart. No need for any more mud slinging at me.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We could continue to argue over whose scantily-clad images should be allowed but if we banned all of them, male and female, the problem would not be solved.

The problem would be, going back to the OP, that "you're wrong, boy" to a black poster is treated differently/viewed differently than "you're wrong, sweetheart" to a woman.

See the Misogyny and Nerds thread for posters justifying this over the past few pages. And the mods were not making those posts, in fact they are arguing against them, and I'm certainly not accusing them of doing something wrong here. This is a comment on how some in society still believe sexism is OK, or believe that it's not sexism unless someone was raped.

Condescension can't necessarily be moderated, and "sweetheart" in the context of two people who know each other is very different than "sweetheart" in the context of the male poster who adds it in while making condescending/patronizing posts towards a woman, so context would need to be included.

So are we looking at specific words/phrases/acts (such as posting pictures) being banned, or moderator discretion in the overall context of the conversation?

I don't have any answers to that one.

Paparazzo likes this.
  10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    IMHO, I argue for some moderator discretion - obviously a photo of Leia in a bikini in a costume thread is okay, even if tirelessly repetitive - but a string of the same photos posted 10 posts in a row with "I'd hit that" has changed the context.

Should Leia be in a bikini for the newest movie and it's posted, it should be allowable to post it and have it be admired - no different than AFS liking the bare-chested Anakin photo (she doesn't drool over it- at least in public:)). Or the Ewan fans admiring the latest photo of him and talking about his latest charity actions (and incidentally, getting snarky comments from some posters to the point that I no longer post there to avoid getting some of those comments possibly directed at me).

It's fairly easy to tell the objectifying of the photo subject versus admiration, of which the physical body is just one aspect.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well said, Valairy, and so long as you're not terrifying in that Ewan thread, you'll be safe. ;)

See Robimus - the point at which your concerns could be seen as legitimate was earlier on when we addressed these points in detail. So forgive me but I see an attempt to 'seriously' discuss an image drooling over a terrible and paper thin character as an attempt to undermine gender equality by stealth. If you are actually worried about some sort of man-hating dystopia emerging here, I've literally no idea what to say to you. We are trying to eliminate the point at which an entire gender feels preyed upon, valued for aesthetics, and otherwise disenfranchised in our society by not tolerating it here. What is objectionable about that?

bluuu likes this.
  12. bluuu

bluuu Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2013
    Is it possible for an online community to start with good intentions of feminism, but gradually transform into a misandric dystopia? Yes.

This one? Very unlikely. There's too much diverse user traffic.

I know where you're coming from, Robimus, but you don't have anything to worry about.

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Misandric Dystopia is a great name for a heavy metal band.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Considering the large number of idiots on this forum who we can't force to grow more/better brain cells - I honestly don't think I've ever been bothered by the occasional sexist posts. I guess I sort of figure stupid mindsets go hand in hand with stupid people. I mean unless there's actual harassment going on, then that's a different story altogether. In which case wasn't that already addressed during Sapientgate and then slowly dismantled by Grimby?

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, Sith-Lord-Gunray, while you most certainly have a point, I think the issue is less the occasional sexist posts rather than tolerating a culture of sexism, even if advertently. It's the disrespect and the toleration of it that is the issue, be it here or in the wider society.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

discreetcoughhttp://boards.theforce.net/threads/lets-talk-about-sexism.50014948/

17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    "I don't have any experience so I have no input lulz." in the OP. ;)

Valairy Scot - I'm not going to start telling people that things they're offended by shouldn't make them feel offended. However I think the root of this problem is lazy, cowardly modding that's become a poor habit post Obiwan506 administration. And by that, I'm not addressing all of MS, there are some great mods doing their job. As a whole, there's been a great attitude of overlooking conflict and sweeping some forms of conflict and harassment (some minor) under the rug, hoping that it will disappear. I'm speaking entirely from observation and not about my own personal problems on here. Obviously this crap is going to build up over time and then we get stuff like...comms threads on sexism with a lot of disgruntled users. Even the smallest form of offensive/harassing posts are still offensive/harassing. **** needs to be addressed.

I mean I could go on about the craptastic use of having unlimited forum power but I've been going on about that way too long. And really, who cares.

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Naw, my point was more that you had highlighted the harassment factor earlier. Plus that thread is a goldmine for dudes wanting to not talk about sexism because it makes them uncomfortable.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So, how are we tracking ModSquad?

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is there going to be some sort of solution that everyone agrees on?

21. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i don't think that's possible.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm of the view that if it was amenable to all, then it would be impossibly ineffectual. Something like this will challenge people, and it should. If you get pulled up for sexism, chances are...

23. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    I think it's possible to have a reasonable sexism policy without being overly politically correct. If someone is trolling, i.e., saying offensive things about women in general, then it shouldn't be allowed, but if someone is expressing reasonable views that are not in the majority, then it should be allowed.

deathraygun likes this.
  24. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    the problem is that in most cases, the ones that are saying offensive things about women in general thinks that they're just expressing reasonable views that are not in the majority.

25. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    Right well, that's where the moderators come in.