main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sexual Harassment Policy

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    There's a new policy for sexual harassment. I hope that this won't happen to any of you or any fellow JCer or FFer, but if it does, I ask everyone of you to use the following procedure. This works for other kinds of harassments as well.

This policy about Sexual Harassment is originally posted in Communications by ObiWan506 as well: Here you can find it.

[blockquote][b]The Jedi Council and Fan Force Harassment Policy[/b]
    [i]Updated: August 9th, 2008[/i]

The current administration has seen the need to spring into action very swiftly on this topic and produce a new initiative sooner rather than later. A policy that invites users to come to the administration through whatever means they feel comfortable with. A policy that better emphasizes the steps users can take. We want to make ourselves open to everyone. Every single moderator was elected because they are believed to be trustworthy. When Mod Squad is united behind an objective, it's quite a force. Every moderator is part of Mod Squad and is available to you. Harassment (sexual or otherwise) that occurs in posts should be dealt with immediately by forum moderators. If it is not resolved satisfactorily at that level, follow the procedure below for Private Messages. Any harassment that occurs in Private Messages should be dealt with as follows:

[blockquote][li]The basic question is, if you are being harassed in PMs, what should you do? Well if you feel harassed via PM, you should choose one of the following courses of action:[/li]
    [blockquote][ol][li] Send a reply that says something like "Please stop sending me private messages." or "Your last message made me uncomfortable. Please don't go there again." Then contact a staff member.[/li]

[li] Do not reply to the offensive PM. Contact a staff member.[/li]

[i](We advise discontinuing any kind of a conversation that can be misunderstood.)[/i][/ol][/blockquote]
    [li] Users won't be restricted to just an exclusive group of moderators. [b][u]Users should know they have the opportunity to approach any moderator at any time.[/u][/b] The problem in the past may have been that users were afraid to use past policies because the person at the top was unresponsive and a problem. In these cases it seems a more expanded policy is better rather then a more restrictive one. A simple policy similar to the one below can work.[/li]
    [blockquote][ol][li] Issue happens.[/li]
    [li] User brings this to the attention of [i][b][u]any[/u][/i][/b] Mod/RSA/Admin he or she trusts. If you do not know which moderator or administrator to go to, here are the [i]suggested[/i] points of contact:

1. JC Head Admin or FF Head Admin (depending on the context of where the harassment occurred).
    2. One of the other JC or FF Admins.
    3. A moderator you trust. They will set up a confidential contact with an appropriate administrator.
    4. Another user you trust who can help you find a staff member to contact.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/rules_announcements/b10719/28251515/p1/?0][b]JC Staff List[/b][/link]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/rules_announcements/b10719/28251463/p1/?0][b]Fan Force Staff List[/b][/link]
    [/li]
    [li] That person can become the point for the investigation, if s/he feels comfortable doing that, otherwise s/he finds someone else that the user trusts to become point. It doesn't have to be an administrator.[/li]
    [li] Point person would talk to the user through PMs, coordinate any PM checks with a user approved administrator [i](either FF or JC)[/i] and just flesh out the situation.[/li]
    [li] Other [i](user approved)[/i] mods/admins are brought in to look at the case and decide what to do from there if necessary. The number of mods/admins coming into the investigation depends on how comfortable the user is.[/li][/ol]
    [li] If a legitimate complaint is discovered and resolved, [b]any action taken against that user will be documented in that user's notes.[/b] That usernote does not have to include the name of th

2. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Are you going to sticky this thread? It might be a good idea so that it doesn't end up buried.

3. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep, I want it to be sticky and soon it will. I just can't do it myself, so I had to post it the normal way first. But thanks for your idea, Gangrenous. :)

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've stickied it for Skiara. It may take a few minutes for it to take effect.

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thank you very much, Laj. That was fast! :)

6. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I took my time forming this post because I wanted to make sure my words and ideas were clear. The formation of this policy and the procedures outlined within it present JCers on all boards the opportunity to ensure that they are treated fairly and with respect, and that if a situation does arise, that they have a way to ensure that their voice is heard and proper action is taken.

In particular, WNU is a community comprised of unique groups of people. Some of us call this a home and others of us like to just visit frequently. Overall, despite the diversity of how we use the forum or where we come from, there are a large number of WNUers who are younger and appreciate the user-friendly atmosphere that is prevalent here. It sometimes is a welcome change to just be silly again after roaming the JC and its various boards, and WNU is a haven that many JCers appreciate.

That being said, I wanted to specifically address the younger JCers and WNUers about this policy. Despite being on this cute and cuddly board, harassment still may arise from unexpected places. And, if you venture away from WNU and make friends on other boards, situations may arise there. The idea is that harassment of all forms can happen anywhere and at any time. It is not right or proper and you do not have to put up with it. The above policy is intended to give you a way to identify the harassment and to deal with it in a quick and effective manner.

Younger JCers and WNUers, from my experience in mediating certain issues, have a tendency to shy away from bringing situations to the attention of moderators or admins. And, no matter how many times a mod presents himself as approachable in all cases, younger or newer JCers will always tend to have that hesitance because they may think that bothering a mod is too much trouble or that talking to a mod is too big of a deal. Again, most mods will be the first to say that they are always available to help anyone at any time, but even on my own assurances that this is the case, I've repeatedly gone to moderators for younger JCers because of this issue.

Here's the bottom line: no matter how you feel about telling a mod or an admin about a situation, you always have an outlet for your concerns and have ways to get your voice heard. If you're uncomfortable telling a moderator, ask a friend to help you bring the situation to light. If the situation involves a moderator, there are other moderators who are available to help and other JCers who will know of the proper authority to tell. You don't have to suffer or keep quiet just because you're younger or newer here at the JC. Personally, as long as I post here, I will never hesitate to be an advocate for any JCer. Anyone who is uncomfortable with telling someone else directly is more than welcome to have me take care of it, and I'm sure that a good JC friend will do the same. Just know that it doesn't matter the specifics of your age, your gender, your registration date, your post count, or the person involved. You deserve to have the opportunity to post at the JC free of harassment, and no matter how you go about finding someone to help you, the important thing is that you know you have options and someone will always be available to take your concerns seriously.

If you have further questions about this policy or any other JC policy, feel free to contact any moderator. Of course, if you're uncomfortable with talking with a mod, you're always welcome to come to me with your questions and concerns. As I've stated multiple times in the past, though, the mods are here to help and will always be available to handle your concerns. You shouldn't feel nervous about approaching a mod, but in the case that you do, I or another trusted JCer is always available to speak on your behalf or to get you the help that you need.

Trika

Edit: On request. :)

7. TrulyGhent

TrulyGhent Jedi Master star 4

Jun 29, 2007
    =D= =D= Huge thanks to the MS for their attitude!!! You guys rock!!! :D =D= =D=

[:D] to Trika from all the younger JCers. :D

8. Blue_Lightsaber42

Blue_Lightsaber42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2007
    It depresses me that we even need a sexual harassment policy.:(
    Double [:D] to Trikes.:D

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I love the post Trika did above! That's why I re-post parts of it to emphazise some parts.

There's more I would love to quote, but without quoting the whole text it doesn't make much sense.

With that posted, I can't say much more!

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It's really sad that this policy has needed so much attention lately; why do people have to cross the line and do such things? :confused:

11. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    All in favor of giving Trika the MVU (Most Valuable User) award, say "aye". :p

12. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    AYE!

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Oh, do I have to? :p

14. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
  15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    No, I will resist the temptation to say it!

16. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    < Ties Gunny to a post and begins to torture him until he says it. >

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    *Whacks Ghent with a pillow and escapes to another thread.*

18. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    :p

Is there such a thing as e-nepotism? :p

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Guys, this is something serious. So stay on topic, please. Thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.