Sexual Harassment

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Sith-Lord-Gunray, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    It's my fault on the recent edits. I didn't make a statement in MS or in here so there was some confusion.

Users can mention his name. Moderators can't talk about it and we can't talk about any bans. If users want to say, "Yeah, User A sent me some uncomfortable PMs", we can't police that. Users can't reference the ban, put the user's name in sigs, or make threads about him. However if they want to mention his name like what I said above ("Yeah, I remember when User B made me uncomfortable with some of the things s/he sent me"), then I don't think we can police that.

So, short answer: Mod Squad can't talk about it, but if someone wants to talk about his name - without talking about the ban and without going too far with it - they can.
  2. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Felt that this was also worth backing up. The person in question here did his utmost best to manipulate everyone into thinking a certain way about him, in any way, shape or form that he could.

And those that didn't believe that he was all that golden, he took advantage to marginalise them at every opportunity.

Remember that, and always be suspicious when action and words do not match up. Not just with each other, but with the situations at hand.
  3. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Quoting to put this on the top of the next page
  4. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7

marginalize, that about sums it up the way I felt I felt SH was treated the whole time he was on MS.

5. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Alright, well then let me clarify my post from the last page.

Darth Sapient. That is all.
  6. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    I think we can pretty much shut down this thread at this point. it only took twelve pages but its done.
  7. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
  8. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Thank you.
  9. LLL Force Ghost

star 4
    First and foremost, each user has the responsibility to behave in an appropriate manner at all times on these boards. Each time you post something, you explicitly agree to abide by the TOS, Rules of Conduct, and everything else that goes with them. When you post something, you need to be aware of how it is likely to come across, and ask "Is that really what I want to say?". If each user followed that guidance, we would have no problems here.

Great point. Great, great point.

So if you are on here with an attitude like, "Wow R U hawwwt =P~" we might all want to ask ourselves if that's really appropriate and how much of that we want to encourage.

I applaud Kimball on a great post.

I also want to applaud SLG, embarrassed sock, harpuah (I know I've spelled that wrong, sorry,) and anyone else who's been harrassed here for their courage in pressing for something to be done and in coming forward to talk about their experiences here.

@};-

This is the kind of thing we need if we're going to stamp this kind of stuff out.
  10. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Are we pretty much stuck with it as it is, or is it possible that a change could be made so there would be some sort of record?
  11. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Short answer: no feasibly acceptable way for a board system of this size.
  12. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    I understand what is being asked but there are always ways around system checks. So for the sake scaring the crap out of people about admins going the distance and completely invading your private life lets just hope it doesnt happen again and leave it at that.

13. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    beezel, speaking as one of the more technically adept administrators that have worked with the IGNBoards software as well as other programs if I ever wished to scare people about what could be done I would have no issues in coming up with them. But there is nothing wrong with people asking IF there are any ways to make something like this harder to do in the future.
  14. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    Dingo, the more people know the more they can get paranoid. Basically put it this way. I used to be a bill collector for a bank. Now the dept above me that collected on foreclosures and repos had access to info from anywhere to find out where you live. Thats right, a reposession agent can get info on your whereabouts and what you have done within the last seven years. Now thats the kind of info that most people dont want to know and more importantly can scare people cause if they knew someone was being bad then they are at risk. Actually a few years ago, a guy in the NY dmv was harrassing people via letters because they were being rude to him when they came up to his window. He had all sorts of info at his fingertips to harrass these people. Not an nice thought. But the less people know sometimes the easier it is on them.

15. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Okay. Thanks.
  16. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Administrators on a Star Wars message board do not have access to its members credit files. Funnily enough there's a difference between us and a bank.
  17. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    OMG, I never realised the potential of having access to large amounts of personal information. It's not like I'm say, a medical professional, who has access to over 70% of the population of my city's medical and personal records.

The analogy does not hold. Unlike in the real world identity theft is a lot easier online and the more people realise what they should and shouldn't be posting, even in supposedly 'private' areas the better.
  18. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    halibut it was an example. Its like the president of the US. Most people don't want to know what the power he has. Its just scary, You know he has something, you just don't know what. Less is better sometimes.
  19. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Force lightning? Is that his power?
  20. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    Actually, I'm pretty sure most people do in fact have an idea about the kind of power a President has, since it's like...outlined in the constitution.
  21. MaidenLumpe VIP

star 3
    Not to be all wannabe-modly, but can we bring it back to sexual harrassment, by any chance?
  22. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Good idea. Comparing a messageboard admin to the President of the USA is just ridiculous.
  23. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Really? I find it kinda funny that you'd say that, considering how you're one of the people that this thread is about.
  24. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    That's not acceptable, SLG. Let's keep away from comments like that.
  25. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    If it passes the TOS and is not flaming or baiting, it is acceptable.

We're here to discuss, not brush under the rug, aren't we?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.