main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sexualizing in EU–does it fit Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Okay, I see what you're saying; I was just using incorrect words. But I wouldn't count Mara's catsuit as an overall, either. To me, overalls are the picture you posted above–to be worn over a shirt or something, not as clothing of themselves. Mara's catsuit is used for that purpose, so I'd put them in a third category besides overall or coverall/jumpsuit.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    and nobody corrected me so I kept on using overall

3. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, sorry, I just misunderstood.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

pronker and Reveen like this.
  5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    What are we jealous of the Emperors abbs now? :p

Shadow Trooper likes this.
  6. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Hell no, I'm jealous of his hair.

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah :( Fel's apparently come with very full hair.

8. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I'm sure Vladimir Putin is. Roan Fel pulls off the shirtless head of state look a lot better than Putin does.

9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The fact that he still looks like that at an age that appears to be late 50s or early 60s is amazing in itself. The fact that he still has that much hair–and is that physically strong–either says something about his own personal healthcare or the general healthcare of the Star Wars galaxy.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    From the Flirt Junkies, Ho! Romance, Sex, and Erotica in the Galaxy Far Far Away, 2.0 thread

11. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007

After careful perusal of the *very nice!* chestal region of Fel, my eyes were drawn to the ginormous nipples on his opponent. Nice shading!

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I think that is just the light falling in a certain way. :p

pronker likes this.
  13. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    if you go by movies and most EU books then I guess sexuality is not a big part of Star Wars, but whether this necessarily means it should never be part of a story is up to the reader I guess. Personally I don't mind it as long as it's realistic. Xizor seducing Leia in Shadows was a bit weird but I could buy that he would do that in that situation according to their characters. Tahiri seducing Ben in Invincible was just as weird but didn't seem as natural and probably a bit forced like it seemed it was just put there for the sake of it being sexual. But I still sort of bought that that is something that might happen in that situation. And the pictures in games and comic books are fine IMO because most gamers are male and that's what you come to expect! It's not just something in star wars it's a staple of those forms of media.

14. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    This image simply makes me wonder why they are allowed to carry weapons in some kind of kinky fetish establishment.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Part of the Fetish ;)

Ah damn now I am having FOTJ trauma flash backs to those pointless costume parties the conspiracy people did.

16. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Surely the issue with sexualisation (and I'm unfamiliar with the comics so what I say does not apply to them) is when it's used as a draw card for a particular audience? The Stackpole novels are all very blokey (to use common Australian parlance) and the gratuitous references to particular parts/items of clothing is just that, gratuitous. Denning's work has this too.

So the issue is, for me, not really whether or not sex or sexual feelings or sexual attraction belongs in the Star Wars universe but whether where it exists it's playing into tired old ham-fisted paint-by-numbers iterations of the male gaze.

17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Arrrrr!

Gorefiend likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. This is the crux of it.

Does it fit with the overall story or only to go along with Jeff Foxworthy's take on "what men are really thinking"?

"I'd like a beer, and I'd like to see something naked."

If it's the former, sexualize away. The latter? Not so much.

19. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    I wrote a thread similar to this, to voice my opinion that I would like to see more adult themes dealt with in Star Wars, but this thread has covered it far better than mine. I have no problem with sexuality in the EU, as long as it's done tastefully and serves a purpose. Humans, by nature, are sexual beings, and that all there is to it. The artistry comes in when we learn to appreciate the beauty of, say, the curve of a breast, or the glimmer in an eye of a loved one, or even in the intelligence of someone. Yes, the majority of readers are younger, and so we must balance the needs of the story with the need to accurately portray a character, especially if he is a scoundrel. I'm pretty sure Labria wasn't just hanging out in Mos Eisley's infamous cantina for the music and booze...

By the same token, though, bad things happen. Rape, a horrible crime that robs the victim of dignity and self-worth and leaves them with long-lasting scars, does happen. In places like the underbelly of Coruscant where there exists high crime and abusive attitudes towards women, especially alien women who can't complain to the Imperial authorities (who would probably call in COMPNOR to target them), it is realistic to consider that yes, there are rapes, and yes, people are murdered. There are death sticks and ryl spice junkies and alcoholics and domestic violence.

If you are going to write a realistic portrayal of the life of people like this, you have to be true to who they are, but still be respectful of the reader as well. Sexuality is a part of life, but it shouldn't be treated like some bauble to be brought out and flashed under the nose of the consumer to get them to buy more books, art, etc. When I write, I always try to keep that in mind and make sure that, unless my character is a chauvanist, the characters don't act in ways to offend the reader outside of the story. When one of my characters finds himself in love with a Twi'lek, for example (I speak in generic terms, here), and he sees the curve of her bare back, for him there is beauty in the swell of her shoulder blade, the curve of her spine, and smoothness of her skin. There is a feeling of belonging when he catches the scent of her in a room. But he didn't get there because he thought she was ugly! lol He developed these feelings because he was attracted to her.

Perhaps it would be better to split the EU into an inter-related regular book series, and one for younger readers just to avoid exposing the younglings to the sometimes-harsh facts of life, then...?

20. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I don't think people who are too young end up reading the adult EU anyway. I read the kids' series (Jedi Apprentice etc) when I was 9/10 because I didn't understand where to start with the adult books that were in my local library. But I started reading books with sexual themes - admittedly ones that were about older teenagers - when I was 13 or so. So I don't think the real problem demographic is going to be reading those books anyway.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  22. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Oh, stang, I think I'm going to be sick...*retches*

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Me too. I mean, she only has two breasts. TWO. How is she going to feed a litter of boars?

And moreover, not a single morrt on her. How is she going to win respect amongst the other clan sows when I'm away for wartime, if she can't support even one adorable little morrt?

24. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Maybe that's why she was sold to Tessek. He's looking for some talent to bring back to Jabba! lol

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If you can not stand a pair of decapitated droid heads than you should stay out of Smugglers Moon[face_shame_on_you]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.