main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sexualizing in EU–does it fit Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    To me, a catsuit is the leather outfit worn by Mara in those pictures, and the likes of Black Widow. A jumpsuit would be like what Luke wore on Bespin in ESB.

I know; the artists just went with "teh sexiness" and rolled with it, and never read the source material, I guess. Because tight leather and no sleeves on a redhead = hot to artists. :p

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Because it is.

:D

3. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    True... ;)

But it didn't fit Mara as Zahn wrote her. :p

Gemma likes this.
  4. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Princess Leia was supposed to be 19 in ANH and Mara looks younger than that. The thing I always found unbelievable is that if she was a dark Jedi, her appearance should be corrupted to some degree. That's why I love Swtor, because the female Sith tend to look as creepy and ugly like the male ones. Also, I find it weird that she never wears the goggles she owns.

5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Mara is about two years younger than Luke and Leia. Leia and Han also look really young on the cover of Exile. Luke on the cover of Inferno is the only one that looks his age.

Maybe, the Dark Side Corruption wasn't discussed at length in the movies. Palpatine/Sidious is the only Sith in the Movies that looks ugly. Maul and Anakin with yellow eyes looked like demons from one of the Pits of Hell but their faces didn't look bad. Vader unmasked looks fairly good for a badly burned human male that received little to no treatment.

Haunted/old eyes yes. She saw and did a lot in the name of the Emperor.

Sent from my PADD using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess." Han Solo - Dark Angel

6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Mara never actually used the dark side, though–not going by Zahn's Vision of the Future. She was a servant of Palpatine, but she thought she was doing the right thing. So she wouldn't have been corrupted. The only Force techniques we actually see her use during her time as Emperor's Hand seem to be telekinesis and mind trick, plus her mental connection to Palpatine–nothing really dark there. And reading her in Allegiance and Choices of One, she doesn't ever seem to draw on negative emotions like anger or fear.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think that's a questionable assertion because Mara force-chokes Thrawn. That's a Dark Side power.

Also, the Dark Side *CAN* physically scar and deform but doesn't HAVE to.

Maul isn't scarred, Palpatine is. The Nightsisters are. Brakiss isn't.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Luke used Force choke. I wouldn't classify it as a specifically dark-side power personally; though I can see your point. I can't recall; did Mara use anger when she was choking Thrawn? And even if she did, that was later in life–when she was a smuggler. I was referring specifically to her time as the Emperor's Hand. There's no doubting that she did wrong during her time as Emperor's Hand, but a light side user can do wrong.

9. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    That explanation makes the most sense, that she never used the dark side, or did so so sparingly it wouldn't corrupt her noticeably. From a character design standpoint, I would have liked an eviller more intimidating Mara Jade, mainly because the only other Emperor's Hand I know to compare her with is Cronal, and he's no supermodel. From a story standpoint, It's odd that the same title goes to two very different degrees of dark side users.

10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Probably goes with personality, too. Cronal was a very demented man, whereas Mara was pretty much good at heart. Plus, IIRC, Cronal was trained in the dark side before he became a Hand.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, Thrawn had just betrayed Karrde. So I'd say pretty mad.

There's also a large area between being a Lightsider and being one who uses the Force.

Edit:

Essentially, if we go with Zahn's explanation, I don't think Mara Jade is a Jedi who served the Empire or the first Imperial Knight. I think there was a considerable cult of personality element and early Zahn interviews showed Mara Jade as a figure who was pretty much enthralled by the Emperor. She didn't question the kind of things the Emperor did but simply went out and fulfilled her duties wherever they took her.

I also think it's kind of disingenuous to make Mara Jade out to be a person who only killed Rogue Imperials. I think she'd undoubtedly killed Rebels and other individuals the Emperor told her too. I admit, however, it's equally possible the Emperor could have lied to her about his victims too. There's no reason the Emperor has to say, "Oh and Prince So and So doesn't want to sell his subjects into slavery. Go kill him" versus saying "Prince So and So is a mass-murdering terrorist who eats babies."

Of course, I've always had the theory that Mara Jade was an experiment and the "Mara Jade: Emperor's Hand" comic implied that she was. The Emperor didn't trust her with the kind of missions he gave Vader and other sociopathic operatives because he was trying to see how long the line for a non-philosophical Force User could be straddled.

Gorefiend and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I like to think Jedi look young into their fifties and as long as they are drawing upon the force often, but when they get into their sixties and/or stop doing much beyond meditating the physical age starts to catch up with them. I admittedly I don't have much to go on by this, aside from Palpatine between the PT and the OT (wound aside), Qui-Gon Jinn (Who is sixty, and my dad looks older in his fourties), Mace Windu (to a lesser extent, as he is only late 40s when he dies) and with my final 'evidence' being how fast and harsh the aging of Obi-Wan is on Tatooine, when he doesn't live the active life of a Jedi. The issue there is that it could very well simply be combined grief and the harshness of living in a simple hut on Tatooine. (And even then, aside from white and thinning hair, Alec G didn't actually look all that old in ANH face-features wise.)

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [quote="Alixen, post: 50996533, member: 943933" how fast and harsh the aging of Obi-Wan is on Tatooine[/quote]

A feature of that planet actually. The Novel Kenobi explains it rather well.

15. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    Aha, i've yet to read it, i'm afraid. Waiting for the paperback. In that case i can shrink my theory down to generally force users (who don't draw deeply on the dark side for too many decades) age slower. (Oddly, the same way as hours in make-up allows actors to seem much younger than they are.)

16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    you guys just fyi "dark side corruption" isn't caused by using the "dark side" it's caused by imprudent use of the Force. 'mere flesh cannot contain this power' blah blah etc.

(yeah i realize in bioware you get veiny because you do mean things but bioware is stupid so whatever)

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Looking younger is as much luck genetics as anything else, no matter what the plastic surgeons and skin cream commercials say. My Mom, sister and I have all been mistaken for 10-15 years younger than we are. But Mara in that picture looks younger than all of us.

There is no amount of luck, skin cream, low stress or plastic surgery that can make a 56-year-old look 26, no matter what universe you're in. She's old enough to be someone's grandmother. Drawing her like she belongs on the cover of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition is just stupid.

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Thank you. I like Mara. I really do. But she should really not look like she did 40-odd years before. It's just not possible.

Well, except for Force. There was Fay, who was apparently centuries old, but she looks pretty good for her age to me. But that could be her species, too.

[​IMG]

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not big on using "the Force did it" as an excuse for anything without explanation in Star Wars, and if the Force kept people young and beautiful, Yoda would be a supermodel.

I don't know who that character is but I'm going to assume it was her species.

Lady_Misty and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Probably species, yeah.

And yeah, Yoda would look a whole lot better than he did if the Force could do that...but then, how do we know what a typical 900-year-old of his species looks? :p

Lady_Misty likes this.
  21. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Yoda is nine centuries old.

The UE states somewhere that the average life expectancy for a (rich) human in the galaxy is easily double what it is in the real world, and that number goes even higher for Force sensitives. Why couldn't this apply to physical appearance?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Because it's not believable using any other explanation other than "the Force says so," and that's not an explanation I'm buying.

If being Force sensitive kept a person hot for decades longer than average, why didn't Obi-Wan look the same in ANH as he did in TPM? And "he lived on Tatooine for 20 years" isn't an explanation that works for me. Either being Force sensitive keeps a person eternally young, or it doesn't.

23. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003

[​IMG]

"When 900 years old you reach, look this good, you will not. Hmmm?"

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Aww, he's cute! In a...wrinkly, super-old, froglike way... :p

25. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001

Makes sense. PT Owen & Beru also look far more than 20 years younger than their OT selves. They´ve aged really bad. No wonder all young people want to get out of the planet as soon as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.