[Sexually Confused] Playing the opposite sex in a game

Discussion in 'Games' started by DarthBobbalot, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBobbalot Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    For certain single player games I will sometimes play a female character to see different dialogue or plot elements, but it feels weird to do so and I will only do this on a rare basis. However, in online games like WoW or other mmo's, i'll admit to having played a girl character because people are stupid and will give you things if you flirt with them because you have bewbs.
  2. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    As a female gamer, it IS weird to be playing as a guy, particularly when you flirt with female characters.

Also, because so many female gamers who play KOTOR play as a female, this might explain why we like Carth and don't like Bastila.
  3. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    i'm a guy and i like carth a hell of a lot more than bastilla. she's an obnoxious ***** who just happens to have been pixels shaped in an attractive female form. carth on the other hand is genuinely amusing at times.

anyways, i generally play as female character for my first play through of a game (odd, i know). mainly because i like the interactions from a feminine point of view better. it's like they just make everything as a guy more... bleh somehow. interactions with female characters are better as a female, and the interactions with male characters don't have anywhere near as much hidden (or not hidden) sexual tension underlying them as the reverse situation. call me strange, but i prefer playing as the opposite sex most of the time.

:snoopy
  4. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    In normal CRPGs, I tend to play male at least the first time. If there's a romance component -- and different ones for female -- I may replay as a female.

For WoW, I have one of everything and have only one female character just to experience a female character and, yes, she's a NE Hunter. :p
  5. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    As a male gamer, I don't like Carth, but I do like Bastila. So there!

I typically prefer to play a female toon, unless there's a romance plotline. I'd rather look at female shaped pixels than male shaped pixels, and I'd rather hear a woman's voice than a guys. If there's a romance plotline that doesn't allow for lesbianism, I'll play as a male character. I tend not to play games with male/female romance plotlines from a female perspective.

In World of Warcraft, my first toon (Hopefire) was male. Every toon since then has been female, and I refer to them as "Hopefire's harem."

6. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I'm always Peach in Mario Party.
  7. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    I play as a male the first time and then I play as a female the second time. I have no problem playing as a female.
  8. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    I do like games though that give you that opportunity, good to see that Diablo III is going to do that with all the classes.

A female barbarian...
  9. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm a female gamer, and I like to play as a Male on the first go. It's kinda weird, I know, I just do for some reason. But I always play as a girl on the second go. I feel a better connection to female players though. Like when I played as a girl in Jedi Academy, I felt like I was Jaden Korr...
  10. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Same here when I played KOTOR, I always thought Revan was so much better as a woman, particularly with poncy Malak as her apprentice.
  11. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I like playing chicks in fighting games though.
  12. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8

Also, I am killer with Peach in Brawl.
  13. Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Female Shepard in Mass Effect seems more badass than Male Shepard.
    Also, Liara is a better romantic interest than Kaiden, who is kind of bland.

I usually play male/female character games twice to play both sides.

I *do* like Carth and Bastila though. :p And I adore Atton Rand. [face_love]
  14. Ostrich_Stapler Force Ghost

star 5

I'm always Kirby in Smash Bros. Melee. Which means I'm a guy. No, a girl. Wait. HEAD ASPLODE.
  15. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    My character in Jedi Academy was a hot chick Zabrak. If I'm gonna spend a couple of weeks staring an a characters butt, it might as well be one I like looking at.
  16. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    Atton is hot too, but I like Carth as he's a hero [face_love]
  17. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    The first review I read of Mass Effect pretty much read "don't play Male Shepard, he's as boring as hell".
  18. DarthSolar Jedi Master

star 4
    PC Gamer UK?
  19. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Yeah.
    I think it was the same issue where they announced that Sesfan was awesome.
  20. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    It depends on the game for me, I guess. If it's an RPG, I tend to play male characters, at least the first time around. I'll tend to play the good male character, and pursue the romance element in games like KOTOR and Mass Effect. Then, as the female, I tend to play the ***** that keeps Carth, etc. as far a way as possible :p. And in MMOs I'll never play female characters, because I don't need horny male gamers flirting with me!

In less immersive games, like Diablo, gender isn't a factor.
  21. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    I'm a male gamer and I didn't like Bastila. I thought she was annoying, stuck up, self-important, etc. It seemed to me that the only reason why so many gamers here were in love with her was because she was probably their first taste of receiving a girl's affection. [face_plain]

I went ahead and did all the romance cues between her and my (light side) male Revan, sure, but I thought it was kind of lackluster throughout and I really couldn't imagine my light-sided Revan actually having an interest in such a snobbish woman. Juhani seemed so much more interesting, and perhaps on a more level playing field with Revan on his course to redemption.

I still haven't been able to play the game over again as a female, but I haven't been able to play the game at all a second time. Taris is just way too taxing on me.

KotOR 2 is probably the only RPG that I've replayed again and again, because the characters all seem so much more interesting. I've played a male light-sided Exile and a female dark-sided Exile. While the male's story felt almost basic but still cool, I notice how the female Exile's story felt somehow more complex. Plus there's that additional backstory to Sion loving her, Atton dying for her, etc, etc.

It was just so much more intense going through it as a female. And the female Exile and Atton became one of my favorite video game romances--definitely above Revan and Bastila. I swear, I just don't think Revan would actually give a rat's ass about Bastila, light side or dark.
  22. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    *Fixed.

Who likes Carth or Bastila anyway? He was a whiny douche who I would have ditched on Taris if given the option and longed to kill when I went dark side and she was a whiny bitch whose only redeeming quality were the goofy-ass lines you were given to come onto her and make fun of her.
  23. DarthSolar Jedi Master

star 4
    I lol'd
  24. SYKO Force Ghost

star 4
    IRL I am a Meat popsicle. Therefore I have no real preference in what sex I play as in games.
  25. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master

star 4
    That was one of the things I really didn't like about KOTOR. I wanted to ditch Carth, not on Taris, but on the Endar Spire. Who needed him anyway? I didn't want to find his son, and I didn't need his help finding Bastila. In the end, Carth is there like your conscience, and Dark Lords don't have a conscience. The best thing about Bastila is she kills Carth for you once you turn to the darkside.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.