main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Sexually Confused] Playing the opposite sex in a game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthBobbalot, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    You do realise you just insinuated the romance between you and Sesfan further?

2. DarthSolar

DarthSolar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2008
    I once read this thing about men playing as females in games, and this special one came from a WoW player: He would play as a woman, flirt with other male players just to get stuff, and it worked. [face_laugh]

It was in PC Gamer UK in an 2006 Issue, if I find it I'll try and scan it up for the funnies.

3. clone_commander1

clone_commander1 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 30, 2004
    By the way, in my experience women in WoW can be 3 things: Completely clueless, bitchy, or a very good player who uses correct spelling and punctuation. There seems to be no in-between. At least not on the servers I play on.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    if I played WoW, I'd be in that third category, too bad I don't :(

5. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I usually play the female first in KotOR and Jedi Academy. And then after that a man. It doesn't feel weird to play a man, as almost every game I've played the character was male.
    And I play a lot of First-person-shooters, so I'm used to it ;)

6. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I always play female because I'm sexist [face_skull]

7. clone_commander1

Dec 30, 2004
    You missed a capital I and the period at the end.

Sorry.

8. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    i like female revan and jaden korr.

9. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Actually, the Revan/Bastila romance is a lot more interesting depending on which answers you choose. If you go with the safe answers, expect a yawnfest; if you go with the sarcastic and ironic replies, you're in for some pretty witty banter. And I *think* the romance subplot still works out between the two, but it's been years since I played.

10. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    i agree revan says some very funny things to bastila. i like male revan better because it's canon and i believe in following canon law but i sure wish they retcon jaden into a woman because the male voice stinks.

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    You don't like Carth and female Revan going at each other?

12. DarthGeist

DarthGeist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2008
    I didn't feel like starting a new thread, but this seemed like a good place to put this.

I don't want to take you all off topic, but I just realized how many "Gamer-Girls" are on this board. I'm amazed. I'm not trying to be a sexist or anything, so please forgive me if I sound that way.

I've lived in my town for 23 years and you all have to understand that I've only seen three Gamer-Girls in my entire life. You're like a myth around here.

Kudos to you all!

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I found there is a stereotype of girls who play games, many assume we play The Sims. I have, but found it strangely disasifying.

Give me Diablo or KOTOR any day!

14. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    [image=http://www.fakeposters.com//uploads/82311f1fd9ba1ed17ef6f0bab225d31a.jpg]

15. DarthGeist

DarthGeist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2008
  16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Been gaming table-top RPGs with one guy for about 15 years. He almost always plays women, either anime sword chicks in fantasy games or female force-sensative brash pilots in starwars. I can only think of 2 times he hasn't played a woman in games...
    Current RPG has 4 of 7 characters female, with only 1 female gamer in the group (she's married to one of the others, so no, the female gamer chick is NOT available or interested, so I won't be handing out her ph#).

As for online games, I don't usually bother.

Check out "The Gamers 2" for the funniest take on trans-gender RPGs

17. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I hope you're joking. If not, you forgot to capitalize your own name in your profile.

Sorry. :p

18. clone_commander1

Dec 30, 2004
    I was young and clueless :(.

19. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Based my current D&D character on Yzma from Emperor's New Groove.
    Took a month for people to figure out the source. Since I spelled it differently (Eezma), they couldn't look it up online.
    "What voice are you doing? 'creepy villain'".
    Got to use a couple of good lines from Eartha Kitt's live performances.

"I wanted to join the choir in school, but they wouldn't let me. They said my voice was too weird."
    While nowhere near as good as the real thing, I can get a passable Kitt accent and inflection.

20. smibrilundun

smibrilundun Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2007
    As a straight male I most of the time play a female charcter . Why? Because I have to look at said charcter for anything from 20 hours to 100's of hours and I would much rather look at some nice looking girl than a boy . Even in the likes of Final Fanasty XII a lot of the time I have Ashe as my lead charcter rather than Vaan .

21. SithLordKobe

SithLordKobe Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 31, 2007
    Yup, I'm currently playing Mass Effect and I have a female Shepard.

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Even if FemShepard was hideous, I'd do that just because she's voiced by Jennifer Hale, and MShep is voiced by some guy I've never even heard of who isn't half as good.

23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I've no problems or otherwise any weird feelings playing a female character on a game. In some cases, the story's more compelling that way (i.e. the female Jedi Exile). Right now I'm on my seconds playthrough of Mercenaries 2 playing as Jen Mui and her speed is a sight to behold sometimes. Plus her Bastila banter is far more palatable than that of her male co-horts.

24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Remember Chun Li, boy she was fast!

25. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I agree. They must think we are solely into "relationship" games when really we aren't. I love me a good FPS, the more difficult the better. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.