main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Sexually Confused] Playing the opposite sex in a game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthBobbalot, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Pretty much every time I played through KotOR, I picked a guy....with the same portrait. Then one day, on the urging of a friend of mine, I decided to go with a female scoundrel to see what different dialogue options were available.

I picked out a seemingly appropriate character portrait, and then started up the game. Being a scoundrel, I found I couldn't fight as effectively (I usually pick Scout) and yada yada yada. About a third of the way through Taris though, I began to think to myself "hey, this character I'm playing as is actually pretty darn hot....too bad she ain't real". Hahahaha XD

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I hate it when that happens, Carth is hot, as is Tidus in FFX

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    In KOTOR, only one of my characters is female.

In TSL, six of my characters are female.

4. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    It's kind of unfortunate in Warhammer if this is a problem, certain Dark Elf classes (i.e. Witch Elf) can only be played by female characters, and Greenskins (Goblins/Orcs) as a race can only be male.* It's kind of like how in WoW Night Elf Druids almost were exclusively male due to lore.

*Greenskins actually reproduce via spores and don't have a sex. But they look male and that's what counts.

Scummy

5. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    It's an interesting topic and I've often wondered why sometimes I swap between male and female characters.

I completed the main stories of KOTOR, Mass Effect and (almost) Saint's Row 2 as females, but with Morrowind, Oblivion and MMOs, I'm always a guy. I think for MMOs I hate to be mistaken for a girl in real life cause that's just weird.

It's ususally 3rd person games where I'll try a female character, that way it's easier for me to detach myself from the game and see the story being played out by strong female characters. [face_thinking]

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I am the opposite of the OP.

I usually play female characters for single player RPGs and male characters for online games.

I got into the habit because my brother and I would always play RPGs around the same time. Since he was always a guy, I always made girls to be different. Now I am just used to it...plus I must admit I always gave more attention to designing my female than my male characters in my own stories.
    Only recently did romance as a female though.

Online though...playing as a female just feels...dishonest somehow. Plus, MMOS usually make girls look silly anyway.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I play males first, because KOTOR and Shadows of Amn have the best male to female romance options.

I'm not some perv who stares at their pixilated prosterior all game long. Neither do I undress the females. I wasn't impressed you spent much of the beginning of that trade practice violation The Sith Lords underclothed.

Besides, you shouldn't be unclothing your game characters. You never know when your mum/moms could enter the room. Right?

8. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    For me, it depends. For KotOR I always played male, but for Jedi Academy I just can't stand the male voice so I went female. For other RPG's it also depends. Some I play as male and others I play female. It all depends the setting and feel of the game, then I would decide the gender. However even if I do have preference of what gender, I do try the opposite gender as well from time to time. It all goes down to feel and taste for me. For MMO's, I actually create equal number of characters of both gender, like in Guild Wars for me, I got male and females, both equal numbered and leveled. However, concurring with the status quo, it is safer to play most of the time in a MMO as your real gender, because many weird things can happen online that can scar you.

9. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    I always play a female this first time through, and then a male to see what chances I missed out on.
    :)

10. hunterchief117

hunterchief117 Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2008
    It really depends for me, if the character is supposed to be female like in Kotor 2 (yes the canonical character in a girl) then I will play as a girl, other than that I play as a guy, cause I can relate more, and in a situation like WoW, I don't want to give someone the wrong idea.

11. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Im a guy and I sometimes play as Star Wars girls. ex: Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, Leia, Padme

12. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    As male i am unable too use a female icon,i dont know why.

13. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Lets hope that i can overcome my bias.

14. Master_Dmentae

Master_Dmentae Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2006
    whenever i get a game for sex choosing, its mostly an rpg, so depending on what i wanna be, ill choose an appropriate gender. Male mostly, but i mostly use females for assassins, the whole seduce-and-kill thing ntrigues me, as well as them having better ahletics/flexibility than males to begin with etc. Otherwise im a guy.

15. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm a guy and I usually end up using chick characters in games, if I can choose one. I always use Mai, Sophitia/Cassandra, Ivy, Morrigan/Lilith, Christie, Nina, Cammy, Chun Li, Casey Lynch, Judy Nails, Midori, etc whenever I can.

16. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    I usually play female characters despite being male and I always mess up the romance options and end up alone at the end.

I've only got a romance complete in KotOR once and that time I stabbed Carth in the back anyway. I had to replay Jade Empire three times just to get Silkfox to like me. I blame Bioware's bi-polar dialogue trees.

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I'm so, so tempted to make my only male WoW toon into a female.

18. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I blame Bioware's bi-polar dialogue trees.

It's pretty accurate as far as representing how ******* confusing women are.

19. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I really wish i could somehow swap my level 80 blood elf priest into a male...

I absolutely loathe being a female.

Recently i picked up an alliance stalker-priest....I don't know how, or why, but this human priest would just show up wherever i was questing EVERYTIME i logged on, and flirt and blow kisses at me (and yes help me kill things).. It was disturbing.

I tried to ignore the guy, but he just KEEPS showing up, and won't go away! Lately i've actually stopped logging onto my priest..Instead opting to play my VERY MALE Paladin.

Yeargh. Never again will i role a female character in ANYTHING...

20. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    One of the things I am looking forward to in Diablo III is how they made all the classes male or female, so you don't have to be limited by gender anymore for a class.

21. ljjtellsavision

ljjtellsavision Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2007
    I'm a guy, but I always play as a girl in RPGs. Only rarely during a second play through or something I will play as a virtual myself.

A female character kicking ass and taking names is just way more bad ass. Besides, there are a lot of games where you don't have a choice and in those the main character is always male.

I don't do the MMO thing. Although, I used to play Phantasy Star Online and always as a dude. Because indeed, playing as a girl you will have guys after you, and that's just too weird.

22. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    I always pick a female character, too. Because that's the character I'm seeing throughout the whole game, it may as well be a girl's behind I'm looking at rather than a dude's.

And I rarely play online, so I haven't dealt with that confusion yet.

23. Darth_Reese

Darth_Reese Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2009
    That is a very good point. I always play as a male then once I have beaten the game, I'll then go to a female to see that side of the story line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.