main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph SFF: Books New Releases

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by s65horsey, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Howdy! This thread is going to be updated weekly with information regarding Sci-Fi-Fantasy new book releases. This is also a place where people can discuss the new books that they've read. As host of this thread, I ask that any major spoilers be highlighted in black so as not to spoil the others who are coming in here to decide what exciting SFF book to read next.

If there's something that you would like to see here (other information I'm not currently providing) please feel free to PM me with your suggestions.

I've provided a link to what the cover looks like for each book. This looks like CoverArt and appears as the first thing for each new book. I'm doing it this way so as to keep the loading time down on this thread, but if people would rather have the pictures posted in here just let me know!

This thread does not include upcoming Star Wars books.
    This thread is for Books only, there will be another thread opening up for comics.

Thank you!

2. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    CoverArt

Rebel Fay: A Novel of the Noble Dead
    by Barb Hendee, J. C. Hendee,
    Hardcover
    Release Date January 2, 2007

Desperate to free his mother from a caste of ruthless elven assassins, Leesil joins his beloved Magiere, the sage Wynn, and their canine protector, Chap, on a difficult journey through mountains and harsh winter. Should they survive the hardships of wilderness, they still face the perils of the mysterious Elven Territories.
    Unbeknownst to them, they've been united at the command of Chap's Fay kin to forge an alliance against the forces of dark magic. But now Chap must guard his companions from enemies and allies-not always certain which is which. And as they uncover the truth, they discover just how close the enemy has always been.

CoverArt
    Traitor to the Blood: A Novel of the Noble Dead
    by Barb Hendee, J. C. Hendee
    Paperback
    January 2, 2007
    In the fourth installment of Barb and J. C. Hendee's Saga of the Noble Dead (Dhampir, Thief of Lives, and Sister of the Dead), unlikely protagonists Magiere and Leesil -- a half-dead vampire hunter and a half-breed elf -- travel back to the treacherous place of Leesil's birth to uncover the mystery surrounding the fate of his parents.

Living in the lawless Warlands in a region ruled by a tyrannical sovereign named Darmouth, Leesil and his parents were essentially prisoners to their lord's will. Forbidden to leave Darmouth's province, Leesil's parents knew that their son would be summarily killed if they disobeyed. But when young Leesil, who was being trained to be one of Darmouth's assassins, saw a rare opportunity to escape his sadistic master, he did so. Now, almost a decade later, Leesil returns "home" with his crew (Magiere, a precocious young sage named Wynn, and a dog named Chap who is much more than he seems) to learn if his parents are still alive; and, if so, their possible whereabouts. What he finds instead is, not surprisingly, more questions?

CoverArt
    Plague of Memory: A Stardoc Novel
    by S.L. Viehl
    Paperback: 384 pages
    Publisher: Roc (January 2, 2007)
    Dr. Cherijo Torin is not herself. With no memory of her past-or even of the man she loved-she sees herself as a different person and has no desire to remember who she once was. But Cherijo must remember if she's to develop a cure for the Hsktskt plague before their race becomes extinct.

CoverArt
    Wolf Hunting
    by Jane Lindskold
    Paperback
    January 2, 2007

In Through Wolf's Eyes, Jane Lindskold introduced Firekeeper, the young girl raised by intelligent, language-using wolves. Abducted back into human society, Firekeeper found that, in the world of deadly human political intrigues, her training as a pack animal served her well.
    Later, in Wolf Captured, Firekeeper and her lupine companion Blind Seer found themselves kidnapped and dragged overseas, to the unfamiliar land of Liglimon, where humans have a different relationship to intelligent animals. Now, still in Liglimon, Firekeeper and Blind Seer respond to a request for assistance from Truth, the soothsayer-jaguar.
    Then, while helping Truth, Firekeeper and her companion come across evidence of elaborate investigations into kinds of ancient magics taboo in Liglimoshti culture. It appears more people in Liglimon are willing to flout this taboo than anyone cares to admit, and Firekeeper and Blind Seer decide their duty is to find out more.
    But Truth knows more than she's telling. She can see and trace future timelines for particular individuals, which in the past has led her into madness. Since then, the Voice that guided her out of that madness has continued to speak to her, and it's not her friend.
    Eve

3. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    CoverArt
    The Hunter's Blades Collector's Edition (The Hunter's Blades Trilogy)
    by R.A. Salvatore
    Hardcover: 1056 pages
    January 9, 2007
    My feet were light when again we departed Icewind Dale, a hearty caravan of hundreds of dwarves, a grumbling but far from miserable halfling, an adventurous woman, a mighty barbarian warrior along with his wife and child, and me, a pleasantly misguided dark elf who keeps a panther as a friend. Let the snows fall deep, the rain drive down, and the wind buffet my cloak. I care not, for I?ve a road worth walking!?Drizzt Do?Urden

CoverArt
    Off Armageddon Reef
    by David Weber
    Hardcover: 608 pages
    January 9, 2007
    Earth has been destroyed by an alien invasion, and survivors are clinging to a precarious and primitive existence on a planet they have named Safehold. But they are divided into two major factions: a theocratic church opposed to all technological progress, and a secular class of aristocrats and merchants who support not only technology but expanding the habitable area of Safehold. There are factions and internal conflicts on both sides, and each has infiltrated the other. A good many of the book's main players are seafarers and naval officers, and they sail Safehold's seas in ships that Horatio Hornblower might find familiar. They are drawn as well as one expects of Weber, although they are so numerous that, despite the appended cast list, readers may feel mnemonically challenged. Staunch Weber fans may be disappointed by the lack of any Safehold life-form as irresistibly charming as the treecats of the Honorverse (the world of his space-faring heroine Honor Harrington). Safehold's abundant pelagic life is mostly predatory and sometimes outright deadly, and its land dwellers are only slightly cuddlier. Altogether, there is enough conflict to allow a natural storyteller like Weber to make a large, splendid novel that opens another saga. The saga being Weber's form of choice and high achievement, hopes for the rest of it are definitely elevated.

CoverArt
    Torchwood
    by Andrew Lane
    Hardcover: 256 pages
    Publisher: BBC Books (January 11, 2007)
    'The twenty-first century is when it all changes, and you've got to be ready.' Separate from the government; outside the police, beyond the United Nations: Torchwood sets its own rules. A team of investigators, using alien technology to solve crime - both alien and human. This new British sci-fi crime thriller, created by Russell T Davies, sees them delve into the unknown. A group of people fighting the impossible. The series stars Captain Jack Harkness last seen in "Doctor Who". This novel is a brand new Torchwood story.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooo, Touched by Darkness looks rally good!! And I might get the R. A. Salvatore book; I've been wanting to read it . . .

5. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I have to chime in on this being a great idea. (However, most of the releases listed just aren't doing anything for my interest. Although I MIGHT give a library copy of the "Hunter's Blades Trilogy" a shot, since it'd be easier to just read them in one volume.)

6. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    A lot of stuff was released in December (from what I've researched) so I figure January is going to be pretty quiet actually. There's some interesting stuff coming out at the end of the month from what I've seen also, and that will be up here later.

As I said before, if there's an author that I'm missing please let me know! As you can tell from the links most of this info comes from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    There's a really good link here for upcoming releases:

http://locusmag.com/ForthcomingBooks.html

8. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    See I found lists like that, but the mods wanted this to be updated weekly and those don't give exact date lists. I have at least a pages worth of other books and descriptions that say they are being released in January, but I can't find a more specific date than that...

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Well, it's a good list to go with, at least you have the titles and whatnot.

10. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Solstice Wood
    Solstice Wood
    by Patricia A. McKillip
    Paperback
    Release Date January 2007

No stranger to the realms of myth and magic, World Fantasy Award winning author Patricia A. McKillip presents her first contemporary fantasy in years. Solstice Wood is a tale of the tangled lives we mere mortals lead, when we turn our eyes from the beauty and mystery that lie just outside of the everyday.

When her beloved grandfather dies, bookstore owner Sylvia Lynn knows she must finally return to her childhood home in upstate New York and face the grandmother who raised her and the woods which so beguiled- and frightened-her. But it's not until she meets the Fiber Guild-a group of local women who meet to knit, embroider, and sew-that Sylvia learns why her grandmother watches her so. A primitive power exists in the forest, a force the Fiber Guild seeks to bind in its stitches and weavings. And Sylvia is no stranger to the woods.

Three Hands for Scorpio
    Three Hands for Scorpio
    by Andre Norton
    Paperback ? reprint
    January 2007

Andre Norton, the celebrated author of Witch World and many other fantasy adventures, offers a new novel unique among her works, set in a realm not dissimilar to northern England in the sixteenth century: also, the Dismals of Northern Alabama are the model for part of the exotic setting.
    Drucilla, Sabina, and Tamara, identical sisters born to Desmond, Earl of Skorpys, understand the price of being princesses in a realm bordered by fractious neighbors. For generations their land has been plagued by incursions, raiding parties, and more serious conflicts with Gurlyon, the land to their North. But when these three plucky young ladies are kidnapped as part of a plot to undermine their father's domain, they are taken to a mysterious realm where they experience terrors unlike anything they could imagine.

Their captors, fearing pursuit, thrust the princesses into a deep recess in a bizarre underworld called the Dismals. Once there, they must fend off hideous creatures, and a young man who claims to be lord of this dark, forbidding realm. Not sure whether he is friend or foe, they must depend on their wits, on each other, and on the mind-link that binds them together. Only thus can they escape the bizarre nether-realm they must roam in search of a way home.

Their travails test them in ways they cannot foresee, both physically and magically. Powerful forces work against them, but together they may yet escape, and help right the wrong that brought them to the strange realm in the first place.

The Hero and the Crown (no link)
    by Robin McKinley
    Paperback
    January 2007

From childhood, Aerin had been haunted by the story of her mother-a "witchwoman" who enspelled the king and then died in childbirth, leaving behind a newborn daughter and an heirless land. Left to her own devices, Aerin grew up wild, doing her best to live up to her reputation as the disappointment of the realm. But little did the young princess know the long-dormant powers of her mother would wield their own destiny, and leave Aerin with a duty to her scornful homeland that she couldn't refuse.

Time Twisters
    Time Twisters
    by Jean Rabe (Editor), Martin H. Greenberg (Editor)
    Paperpack collection
    January 2007

A new anthology by some of the top names in the genre.

Time travel and the dangers of altering the time stream continue to fascinate readers. This book offers 17 new stories of daring adventurers who meddle with time including: a science fiction fan who warded off an alien invasion of Earth through contemporary culture...Joan of Arc's training in future history...and an FBI hunt for a Mafia don who found his way back to the age of knighthood.

Feast of

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The Hero and the Crown looks really good. I'll have to check into that :)

12. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I think I'll have to check out Blood Hound. I'm sorta on a vampire kick.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Looks okay. I was on a vampire kick for a while, but then it gets annoying because vampires live forever and humans grow old.

14. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Does anyone know the exact date when the Children of Hurin will be published?

15. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Children of Hurin will be published on April 17, 2007 according to Amazon.

16. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Hey All. For some reason I can't get the links to work right today. I have no idea what is going on. If you'd like a link to a book, let me know and I'll pm it to you.

The Concrete Blonde
    by Michael Connelly
    ?Mass Market Paperback: 512 pages
    ?Publisher: Warner Books; Reprint edition (February 1, 2007)
    In this fiendishly plotted combination of courtroom drama and police procedural, Connelly's LAPD detective Hieronymous "Harry" Bosch, introduced in the Edgar-winning The Black Echo , is up against the law as well as his superiors. The widow of Norman Church, a serial killer identified as the Dollmaker, whom Bosch shot to death four years earlier, is suing Bosch on the grounds that he violated her husband's civil rights. Strong but not conclusive evidence linked Church to the serial murders and the case was closed, although Bosch was demoted for not following proper procedures. Here, just before the trial targeting Bosch as a reckless cowboy who shot the wrong man gets underway, the body of perhaps another Dollmaker victim is unearthed from the concrete floor of a burnt-out pool hall. Is the real Dollmaker still alive, or is a copycat killer on the loose? Connelly deftly parcels out clues and possibilities while juggling subtle and detailed courtroom scenes with no-nonsense police investigations that turn up new evidence about the original case.

Protector of the Flight
    by Robin D. Owens
    ?Paperback: 560 pages
    ?Publisher: Luna (February 1, 2007)
    Owens, crippled, self-doubting ex-rodeo rider and horse trainer Calli Torcher is summoned from Colorado to Lladrana, a medieval French society on a magical parallel Earth, to assist in a dangerous fight against evil. There she meets two other Colorado women, Marian Dumont and Alexa Fitzwalter, known as Exotiques, who have risen to positions of power. After a spell heals Calli, she learns that she's needed to help train the flying horses?volarans?and the Chevaliers, their riders, who form the front lines against evil demons from the north. Calli must also choose a mate, so she bonds with the skilled warrior Marrec, with whom she fashions a life and family.

The Dream-Hunter (A Dream-Hunter Novel)
    by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    ?Mass Market Paperback: 352 pages
    ?Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks (February 6, 2007
    In the ethereal world of dreams, there are champions who fight to protect the dreamer and there are demons who prey on them...

Arik is such a predator. Condemned by the gods to live eternity without emotions, Arik can only feel when he?s in the dreams of others. For thousands of years, he?s drifted through the human unconscious, searching for sensation. Now he?s finally found a dreamer whose vivid mind can fill his emptiness.

Dr. Megeara Kafieri watched her father ruin himself and his reputation as he searched to prove Atlantis was real. Her deathbed promise to him to salvage his reputation has now brought her to Greece where she intends to prove once and for all that the fabled island is right where her father said it was. But frustration and bad luck dog her every step. Especially the day they find a stranger floating in the sea. His is a face she?s seen many times.... in her dreams.

What she doesn?t know is that Arik holds more than the ancient secrets that can help her find the mythical isle of Atlantis. He has made a pact with the god Hades: In exchange for two weeks as a mortal man, he must return to Olympus with a human soul. Megeara?s soul.

With a secret society out to ruin her expedition, and mysterious accidents that keep threatening her life, Megeara refuses to quit. She knows she?s getting closer to Atlantis and as she does, she stumbles onto the truth of what Arik really is.

For Arik his quest is no longer simple. No human can know of a Dream-Hunter?s existence. His dream of being mortal has quickly turned into his own nightmare and the only way to save himself will be to sacrifice the very thing he wanted to be human for. The only question is, will he?

Proven Guilty: A Novel Of the Dresden Files[/

17. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Un Lun Dun
    by China Mieville
    ?Reading level: Young Adult
    ?Hardcover: 448 pages
    ?Publisher: Del Rey (February 13, 2007)
    It is London through the looking glass, an urban Wonderland of strange delights where all the lost and broken things of London end up . . . and some of its lost and broken people, too-including Brokkenbroll, boss of the broken umbrellas; Obaday Fing, a tailor whose head is an enormous pin-cushion, and an empty milk carton called Curdle. Un Lun Dun is a place where words are alive, a jungle lurks behind the door of an ordinary house, carnivorous giraffes stalk the streets, and a dark cloud dreams of burning the world. It is a city awaiting its hero, whose coming was prophesied long ago, set down for all time in the pages of a talking book.

When twelve-year-old Zanna and her friend Deeba find a secret entrance leading out of London and into this strange city, it seems that the ancient prophecy is coming true at last. But then things begin to go shockingly wrong.

Crystal Dragon: Book Two of the Great Migration Duology
    by Sharon Lee, Steve Miller
    ?Paperback: 336 pages
    ?Publisher: Meisha Merlin Publishing, Inc. (February 15, 2007)
    What do you do when home is a conspiracy that's been discovered and destroyed? When home is a planet in a star system that's gone missing? When home means working for the destroyers of galaxies? When home is a spaceship that's calling out to the enemy? Cantra 'yos Phelium isn't a quitter, but she has more than a little problem: the Enemy has accelerated its attacks and how do you fight an Enemy whose major form of attack is the de-crystallization of everything around itself? A smuggler with a rogue soldier for a co-pilot, and a tree with an attitude for crew, Cantra's the only one who can get close to the man who holds equations that just might thwart the Enemy. All she has to do is help a young pilot from a missing world; juggle a slippery promise she never quite made to a pair of wizards; and then forget who she is along with everything - and everyone - she's ever known.

18. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Another light week book-wise, according to Amazon.

Justice: Volume 2
    by Alex Ross (Author)
    ?Hardcover: 160 pages
    ?Publisher: DC Comics (February 21, 2007)

Eisner Award-winning painter Alex Ross has stunned fans time and again with his artwork in books including KINGDOM COME and THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER-HEROES. Now one of comics' greatest artists turns his attention to the greatest heroes of the DC Universe: the Justice League of America!
    In this volume, a conspiracy of villains has found a way to defeat the Justice League, while looking like heroes to the public. Will the JLA's reserve members be enough to turn the tide against the villains?

Mirror Universe Part 1: Glass Empires
    by David Mack (Author), Greg Cox (Author), Mike Sussman (Author), Dayton Ward (Author), Kevin Dilmore (Author)
    ?Paperback: 464 pages
    ?Publisher: Star Trek; Pocket Books Trade Pbk. Ed edition (February 20, 2007)

There are moments glimpsed only in shadow, where darkness rules and evil incarnate thrives. You hope against hope that in your lifetime, evil is relegated to the shadows. But what if it wasn't?
    What if you lived in a universe where your life was measured only by what you could do for the Empire? What would you do to survive? Would you sell your soul to free yourself? If you were offered the chance to rule, would you seize it? If you could free your universe from the darkness but only at the cost of your life, would you pay that price?
    Star Trek: Enterprise® She seized power in a heartbeat, daring to place herself against all the overlords of the Empire. Empress Hoshi Sato knows the future that could be; now all she has to do is make sure it never happens. For her to rule, she must hold sway not only over the starship from the future but also over her warlords, the resistance, and her Andorian husband. As quickly and brutally as Hoshi seized power, imperial rule is taken from her. Her only chance to rule again is to ally herself with a lifelong foe, and an alien.
    Star Trek® One man can change the future, but does he dare? Spock, intrigued by the vision of another universe's Federation, does what no Vulcan, no emperor, has ever done: seize power in one blinding stroke of mass murder. And at the same instant he gains imperial power, Spock sows the seeds for the Empire's downfall. Is this a form of Vulcan madness, or is it the coolly logical plan of a man who knows the price his universe must pay for its freedom?
    Star Trek: The Next Generation® Humanity is a pitiful collection of enslaved, indentured, and abused peoples. No one dares to question the order, except at peril of their lives. One man survives by blinding himself to the misery around him. However, Jean-Luc Picard resists, just once. And in that one instant he unlocks a horror beyond the tyranny of the Alliance. Can a man so beaten down by a lifetime of oppression stop the destruction?

Civil War Prelude (Marvel Comics)
    by Brian Michael Bendis (Author), J. Michael Straczynski (Author), Alex Maleev (Author), Ron Garney (Author), Mike McKone (Author), Tyler Kirkham (Author)
    ?Paperback: 160 pages
    ?Publisher: Marvel Comics (February 21, 2007)
    Ripped from the pages of New Avengers, the Eisner Award-winning team of Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev present an explosive hidden story of Marvel's secret past, the secret history of Marvel's most secret team - how they came together and how they are ripped apart. Plus: Spidey's got a new lease on life, new powers and a new costume, courtesy of his new best friend Tony Stark. So what could possibly go wrong? With clouds quickly building on the horizon, the bonds that Spider-Man now forges may very well determine his capacity to withstand a

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The Star Trek thing looks good, and I'm not even interested in Star Trek :p

20. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    [face_laugh] Ewww....Star Trek....I should get it for my dad!

I of course am going to read the one about Flying Horses from last weeks' list!

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I like the look of the Dream-Hunter book (though I really need to get through the others she's written first) and the one in Tudor England.

22. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Command Decision (Vatta's War) (Hardcover)
    by Elizabeth Moon
    ?Hardcover: 400 pages
    ?Publisher: Del Rey (February 27, 2007)
    Fourth in Moon's Vatta's War space-going family and military saga (after 2006's Engaging the Enemy), this jaunty far-future romp follows the scions of two powerful but threatened families: woman space warrior Kylara Vatta and undercover operator Rafe Dunbarger. While Ky, who earlier saw much of her family murdered, builds an antipirate fleet from former privateers, Rafe works to preserve his family's giant interstellar communications corporation after a hostile takeover. Aunt Grace Lane Vatta sheds her dotty old woman cover to direct security on Slotter's Key, the Vatta home base, and Cousin Stella settles in as Vatta's CEO, assisted by young Toby, a precocious techie. Though lacking the breathless hyperdrive of Moon's earlier splendid derring-do in Marqueand Reprisal, the frequent FTL jumps between Ky's deep-space engagements, Rafe's reluctant boardroom battles, Grace's wily machinations and Stella's expert financial calculations keep the excitement level high.

Tempting Evil
    by Keri Arthur
    ?Mass Market Paperback: 416 pages
    ?Publisher: Dell (February 27, 2007)
    In a world of sorcery and seduction, the nights bring out the beautiful, the damned, and the desired. Here, Riley Jenson is on her own?half werewolf, half vampire, working for an organization created to police the supernatural races. Trusting her superiors and lovers barely more than she trusts her worst enemies, Riley plays by her own set of rules. Her latest mission: to enter the heavily guarded pleasure palace of a criminal named Deshon Starr?a madman-scientist who?s been messing around in the gene pool for decades.

With two sexy men?a cool, seductive vampire and an irresistibly hot wolf?vying for her attention, Riley must keep focused. Because saving the world from Deshon Starr will mean saving herself?from the trap that?s closing in around her. . . .

Sixty Days and Counting
    by Kim Stanley Robinson
    ?Publisher: Bantam (February 27, 2007)
    By the time Phil Chase is elected president, the world?s climate is far on its way to irreversible change. Food scarcity, housing shortages, diminishing medical care, and vanishing species are just some of the consequences. The erratic winter the Washington, D.C., area is experiencing is another grim reminder of a global weather pattern gone haywire: bone-chilling cold one day, balmy weather the next.

But the president-elect remains optimistic and doesn?t intend to give up without a fight. A maverick in every sense of the word, Chase starts organizing the most ambitious plan to save the world from disaster since FDR?and assembling a team of top scientists and advisers to implement it.

For Charlie Quibler, this means reentering the political fray full-time and giving up full-time care of his young son, Joe. For Frank Vanderwal, hampered by a brain injury, it means trying to protect the woman he loves from a vengeful ex and a rogue ?black ops? agency not even the president can control?a task for which neither Frank?s work at the National Science Foundation nor his study of Tibetan Buddhism can prepare him.

In a world where time is running out as quickly as its natural resources, where surveillance is almost total and freedom nearly nonexistent, the forecast for the Chase administration looks darker each passing day. For as the last?and most terrible?of natural disasters looms on the horizon, it will take a miracle to stop the clock . . . the kind of miracle that only dedicated men and women can bring about.

Games of Command
    by Linnea Sinclair
    ?Mass Market Paperback: 560 page

23. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    The Younger Gods: Book Four of The Dreamers
    by David Eddings, Leigh Eddings
    ?Mass Market Paperback: 432 pages
    ?Publisher: Warner Books; Reprint edition (March 1, 2007)
    The Younger Gods (2006) is the fourth novel in The Dreamers series, following Crystal Gorge. In the previous novel, the combined forces of the Dhrall gods fortify the Crystal Gorge, but are driven out by deadly smoke clouds. They build breastworks outside the gorge and repel three bug attacks. Then a cyclone moves down the gorge and draws blue fire behind it, throwing bug-people around and totally incinerating the remains. The methane gas fire flows for miles into the desert, burning everything it reaches.

After the bugs are removed, the hired forces and natives prepare to move to the eastern Domain. Nasaran, however, is reluctant to return to Aracia's Domain; he finally agrees if and only if he is left alone to build forts in the Long Pass. He declares that he will pack up and leave if Aracia ever comes into his presence. No one, god or human, has any quarrel with his terms.

Fortune's Fool
    by Mercedes Lackey
    ?Hardcover: 368 pages
    ?Publisher: Luna (March 1, 2007)
    Lackey's ornate, meandering third installment in her Five Hundred Kingdoms romantic saga (after 2006's One Good Knight) heralds the fair Princess Ekaterina, seventh daughter of the Sea King, whose magic enables her to surface from the watery deep and live on land as well. When her father dispatches her on a spying mission to the Drylands, she falls in love with the land-born seventh son of the king of Led Belarus, Prince Sasha Pieterovich, a Songweaver who calls on magic through music. But their steamy courtship is soon interrupted by an evil Jinn, who captures Katya and confines her to his castle along with dozens of other magically gifted females, whose powers he saps to enrich his own. But stealing clever Katya is a big mistake for the Jinn, as it leads to a pyrotechnic showdown?dragons and all?before the gifted couple continue on their path to wedded bliss.
    Excerpt found here: Linky

Warlord
    by Elizabeth Vaughan
    ?Mass Market Paperback: 336 pages
    ?Publisher: Tor Books (March 6, 2007)
    Lara of Xy and her Warlord, Keir of the Cat, have been through much together. Lara abandoned her lands and people for love of him. She adopted his ways and learned of his tribe. Together they have faced plague and insurgency -- and despite these struggles, they have known happiness and joy.

Now they face their most arduous task: Keir must take Lara into the Heart of the Plains, and introduce her as the Warprize to the warrior-priests. She must be tested--questioned, examined, watched--and must find favor with the warrior-priests and the tribe?s elders before they will confirm her as a true Warprize.

But in Lara's heart there are doubts--for what if she is found wanting? Will Keir give up everything he knows to be with his Warprize?

Shadowplay (Shadowmarch, Vol. 2)
    by Tad Williams
    ?Hardcover: 672 pages
    ?Publisher: DAW Hardcover (March 6, 2007)
    While juggling a complex epic fantasy plot may be child's play for veteran word-wizard Williams (Otherland), the bewildered star players of the fine second volume in his Shadowmarch trilogy must deal with a very adult world being transformed by war, magic, secrets and a weird, powerful scrying-mirror. Back in Southmarch, Hendon Tolly has usurped the throne, while King Olin's held in captivity in Hierosol

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I've been wanting to read the first four series. But I'm so excited about the Anne Bishop book!!! I [face_love] her, and I have the prequel to that waiting at home and I'm on the waiting list that the library started a few weeks ago for that. Very cool!!!

25. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Howdy! The next two weeks Amazon was showing next to nothing on their release list. So I went to Barnes&Noble to supplement with some of their stuff. It doesn't tell me what the exact release date it, but it claims to be shipping the books so I figure they're released.

Web Of The Trident
    by Sharon Lee (Author), Steve Miller (Author)
    ?Publisher: Meisha Merlin Publishing, Inc. (March 15, 2007)

Armed with the potent and temperamental weapon of a Goddess-in-exile, backed by a twice-born woman legend - or is it history? - named Death's Warrior, Master Thief Gem ser Edreth must lead a reluctant generation ship crew and a far too-eager band of aboriginal warriors against a climate-killing dam constructed and defended by the cream of space-going technology. Gem's clever electronic spiders, and the information contained in an old library may be the key to victory over the planet's oppressors, but Gem faces yet another problem: the ancient power residing within the Trident is waking, and it has an agenda of its own.

In the Eye of Heaven
    By: David Beck
    Mass Market Paperback 464pp
    Publisher: Tor Books
    From a strong new voice in epic fantasy comes the fiercely original tale of Durand, a good squire trying to become a good knight in a harsh and unforgiving world.

Set to inherit the lordship of a small village in his father's barony because the knight of that village has been bereaved of his own son, Durand must leave when the son unexpectedly turns up alive.

First he falls in with a band of knights working for a duke's vicious son and ends up participating in the murder of the duke's adulterous wife. Fleeing, he comes into the service of another duke's disgraced second son, Lamoric, who is carrying out a complex subterfuge to try to restore his honor in the eyes of his father, family, and king.

But greater conspiracies are afoot?dark plots that could break the oaths which bind the kingdom and the duchies together and keep the Banished at bay. It may fall to Durand to save the world of Man . . .

Authentic and spellbinding, In the Eye of Heaven weaves together the gritty authenticity of a Glen Cook with the high-medieval flair epitomized by Gene Wolfe's The Knight, to begin an epic multi-volume tale that will take the fantasy world by storm.

The Necessary Beggar
    by Susan Palwick
    ?Format: Mass Market Paperback, 320pp
    ?Publisher: Tor Books

Praised as "a deeply felt, deeply moving tale . . . chilling and finely tuned" (Publishers Weekly), Susan Palwick's first novel Flying in Place won widespread acclaim for its haunting exploration of a troubled childhood. Now, after a decade, Palwick returns with the powerful tale of a family cast out of an idyllic realm, learning to live in our own troubled world--an exciting and insightful examination of humanity in the spirit of Ursula Le Guin's The Disposessed and Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.
    Lémabantunk, the Glorious City, is a place of peace and plenty. But it is also a land of swift and severe justice. Young Darroti has been accused of the murder of a highborn woman who had chosen the life of a Mendicant, a holy beggar whose blessing brings forgiveness. Now his entire family must share his shame, and his punishment--exile to an unknown world.
    Grieving for the life they have left behind, Darroti and his family find themselves in a hostile land--an all-too-familiar American future, a country under attack in a world torn by hatred and war. There, each tries to cope in their own way.
    Some will surrender to despair. Some will strive to preserve the old ways. Some will be lured by the new world's temptations. And some, sustained by extraordinary love, will find a way to heal the family's grief and give them hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.