main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SFF:F&TV Update 5/1/06

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by malkieD2, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    So, what's new, and what's been going on ?

Staff Announcement
    • Firstly, we've just appointed Moleman1138 as replacement mod for the sadly missed ObiWan506. Take a moment to welcome him to our team

• Games News
    • Exciting news! We'd like to announce that a Tournament is in the works - details are limited at the moment, and more will be revealed as the Tournament takes shape! Watch this space!

• Staying on the games theme, we'd like to congratulate the team entitled Bats on the Brain, which consists of DamastaLukeSkywalker and Darth_Daver for recently winning the trivia contest! A week's VIPship and choice of colours awaits them!

• Threads I like
    • The Hugo Awards Thread is currently dealing with 1969 and hence 2001: A Space Odyssey

• Spoilers continue to emerge in the thirdX-men movie thread

• Great discussion of potential "prequel" movie plots are on going in the Aliens thread. "Prequel" because it would take place before the main body of Aliens, but would actually occupy the same time frame. Input is welcomed!

• With the advent of the CGI-era, which old fantasy movies would you like to see remade is being dicussed here

• Threads I dislike (said with a smirk on my face ;) )
    • "Questionable" threads continue to appear. We've got I dream of Genie and Aladdin racking up far too many posts ;)

• OMG!!!!!!!Extra Added Bit
    • It's been pointed out to me that the Superman main trailer is out this week - check out here for the release date, and initial reaction!

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    hmmm. a tournament? you wouldn't happen to be putting me and the trivia game out of business now would u? :p

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Not a chance. ;)

4. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    For a second, I thought this was an update from January. Crazy European dates... ;)

Good to know that my suggestion is being considered. :)

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    w00t, one of my threads got a mention!

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Good update malkie. Who let that Moleman fellow in? [face_thinking] [face_monkey]

Yes we're working on many things. Keep you all posted in the coming weeks. :)

7. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'd like to add in there, that if you haven't been following the Superman Returns thread the theatrical trailer will be out this week :D

The hype is really picking up on that movie so expect to see a lot going on in the thread ;)

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    good point :) I think a load of people are waiting for the main trailer - I'll edit it into the opening post ;)

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    just a suggestion but i was thinking what if we started having some Polls here is SFF: Films and TV? like about various things SFF. i suggested a poll in census and it didn't get picked. here it is:

What is your favorite piece of military equipment from the movie Aliens?

Sulaco(Military ship)
    Dropship
    APC
    Pulse Rifle
    Smartgun
    Remote Turrets
    Exosuit(Lifter that Ripley uses against the Queen) ?

it probably wasn't picked because it wouldn't be that popular in Census. now if it was in SFF: Films and TV it'd probably get more attention. would it be possible to do start doing polls in SFF: Films and TV?

10. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I'd love to see a few polls here and there. There were also some Buffyverse poll suggestions that I think would be more popular here than in Census.

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i thought about there being polls in SFF: Films and TV just because I noticed that the Prequel and Classic Trilogy forums have a few polls in them so I figured why not SFF: Films and TV

12. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I'm not sure about PT, but CT only allows polls on Mondays. That might be the approach to take should polls ever be introduced here. Keep them limited to a certain day so as to not flood the forum.

BTW, what's the current status on the tournament?

13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Booo polls.

I remember when we got those stupid things, worst idea ever.

I take that back they can be fun but more often then not they are just stupid. With as easy as it is to get your poll up in census and as many as are SciFi related I think its good there ;)

14. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Son of the Suns posted:
    BTW, what's the current status on the tournament?[hr][/blockquote]
    Tournaments are go!

[image=http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3586/thunderbirdsarego7xw.gif]

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    so what are the details on this tournament and when will it start?

16. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    This title confused me because I though it was refering to January. :p

How about we keep it the m/d/y only because that's how the boards do it? We need consistency.

17. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I mentioned the same thing earlier. I agree, it would be less confusing if the m/d/y system was used.

18. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    That's what SotS was cleared to plan - once he gives us a rundown we can launch it. :D I think we mentioned starting with 64 vs. 128 due to traffic, and once we saw how the first one went we could make changes as needed. Other than that it was pretty much still being planned last I heard. Several mods came and went during that communication process so it was tough to keep track of. We're all for whatever he can come up with now though. :)

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    sounds good :)

20. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Really? I've been holding this thing back the whole time and I didn't know it. :oops: No worries, I'll PM you guys with my ideas as soon as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.