Amph SFF Horror Books

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Oct 30, 2011.

1. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    In the spirit of Halloween [face_pumpkin]

There are SFF horror writers (Stephen King comes to mind). Does anyone like their writing? Share some of your favorites with us!
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I like some of King's stuff, but not the Dark Tower books. I liked Cell but I passed on the Dome paperback. I might check out his new one about JFK when it's out though. It depends on the story with his books.

Shaun Hutson is pretty good as well. I tend to go more on subject matter than author. And I'm a fan of the gory police mystery/thriller. Some of those cross over into horror given the amount of blood.
  3. Lord_Volz Force Ghost

star 2
    I'm a big fan of King. I like Bag of Bones, Lisey's Story, Misery, and some others of his a lot.
  4. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    Dean Koonz has some good ones out there, and TickTock quailifies as SF, Horror, and Farce, all nicely wrapped together.

And there's the Kitty Norville series
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I go hot and cold on Koontz the same I do with King. It depends more on the storyline.
  6. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    I noticed the same thing, only I never really got into any of King's stuff. The basic stories (and usually movies) are OK, but I never liked the writing.

I also run into that with Alan Dean Foster.
  7. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    Can't believe we didn't mention Lovecraft. Several of his stories are science-based horror.